ladder or steps suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fighterpilot

I need a detachable ladder or steps to assist us older folks in the step down from the rub rail to the deck in the cockpit area on a 34LRC. Any sources to suggest? Make my own? Any pictures? Don't really want to use a box type step you just throw down there. Would like it pretty solid, but removeable. Thanks

Update, I found one brand that makes them, but has alum. side support and doesn't provide step at the rubrail. I think I will make a copy of the set that leads down into the bunk rooms. Use hardwood vice the pine boards???

I need a detachable ladder or steps to assist us older folks in the step down from the rub rail to the deck in the cockpit area on a 34LRC. Any sources to suggest? Make my own? Any pictures? Don't really want to use a box type step you just throw down there. Would like it pretty solid, but removeable. Thanks

Might want to tell people to go/step down backwards and provide hand holds/grips. At Home/Lowes the sell some light steps/ladders used around the home to reach high items.

Even going down the marina steep ramps I find going backwards is easier, and when wearing boots/shoes with high heels makes it fell more level. :blush: The Eagle has a lot of hand holds inside and outside of the boat which helps

We have glassed over plywood steps built by the PO, and they work great. They also serve as hatch covers on each side of the cockpit, which allows for bulky items that won't fit all the way under the deck. See the photo. They are heavy, but we don't move them side to side. They have two latches to dog them to the deck.

Attachments

• 136283.jpeg
    136283.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 128
Carey, looks like you have a nice set up for your use. We have got to move ours since we like to fish now an than. Need all the room we can get in the cockit when we have 6 fisherpeople on board. Appreciate the thought however.

Carey, looks like you have a nice set up for your use. We have got to move ours since we like to fish now an than. Need all the room we can get in the cockit when we have 6 fisherpeople on board. Appreciate the thought however.

Sorry I read DOCK not deck. :confused:

steps

I finally made my own. Used a cheap pine board to mock up and get all the proper angles cut. Boat side wall and deck aren't 90 degrees and height from deck to rail varies as you go aft so there was a lot of cut and try to get everything right. Bought 6 ft. piece of 1 by 7 red oak lumber and made the final product. Used carriage bolt with the head pulled against a flat washer to cause a gap between the head of the bolt and the wood stock. That way it can fit in to the keyhole slot I mounted to the side of the hull.

Pictures please if you can!

step pictures

Here are some pictures of the steps. Top to bottom height about 20 inches. Width about 20 inches. One can add the two by four to the top edge and get a step made up of the rail and the 2x4 if one wants a wider first step at the rail level. If not leave the 2x4 off. My crew says lets go with out the 2x4 for now. But, I suspect, when the tide is down and the first step down to the rail is lower and longer they might want me to put the 2x4 back on. Fasteners are 1/4 inch carraige bolts with a flat washer backing against the "square" base of the head, which gives space an enables the steps to slip in the shurloc fittings.

Attachments

• DSC05553 (2).jpg
    DSC05553 (2).jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC05554 (2).jpg
    DSC05554 (2).jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC05559 (2) (2).jpg
    DSC05559 (2) (2).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC05558 (2) (2).JPG
    DSC05558 (2) (2).JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC05556 (2) (2).JPG
    DSC05556 (2) (2).JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 139
thanks for the pictures..... sure helps to understand the design!

Nice job. I think you're right about the 2 X 4 though. I'd do it.

Nicely done. Using the carrage bolts for the mount is very clever.

Congratulations! Really nice job on the steps. The choice of wood, design and attachment process are all very smartly done!
Keep the info coming. It's very helpful.
Cworthy

Last edited:
I modified a pet ramp to get my dogs on board and it's sturdy enough for an agile person to use. Easily removed and stowed, just attached with rope. Make sure that it is tight enough that it does not touch the teak and lays on the rub rail when retracted. You would want to take it off when you are underway. You could reverse it and use the ramp on the inside of the cockpit and use stairs similar to the ones in the photo that the sail boat uses. Or get two but I just step over the ramp when I don't have dogs. It would work better if I was stern-in as I would use the stern gate and add a handhold pole. The ladder to the flybridge is in the way when boarding from the side gate.

I am waiting for the great flood so I can load the animals.

3289-albums29-picture153.jpg

3289-albums29-picture152.jpg

3289-albums29-picture151.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom