Fuel tank leak, Stbd tank(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montenido

Vessel Name
Ansedonia
Vessel Make
Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Hi folks,

I did a search for this, but didn't come up with anything for a Californian 42LRC like mine. It seems that I have developed a leak in one of the Stbd tanks. I know how to gain access by removing the plywood over the Stbd bed, but did not have time to do it last time down. It does appear to be near the top of the tank, as now that I have burned some fuel, it seems to have stopped leaking.

Have any of you Californian 42 owners tackled either fuel tank leaks or R & R? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. In my boat there are two 125 gal tanks under each bed.

Cheers, Bill

My 34 LRC 125 gallon tanks were replaced by the OP with aluminum tanks of the same size. He told me the toughest part was getting the old 300+ lb steel tanks out in one piece.

Fortunately, You've got the easiest boat made to replace tanks on. Like you saw when you removed the plywood sheet that serves as the floor of the berth, the tanks are right there sitting in cradles just waiting to be disconnected and lifted out.

Turn off all the valves, on the front of the tank that you're replacing. If you have four tanks (two per side), turn off all the valves on both starboard tanks to avoid flowback. Remove the tank fuel gauge sending unit, on the top of the tank you're emptying, and pump the remaining fuel into the other tanks.

The empty tank doesn't weigh much and you can remove it through the rear hatch door. You'll need to locate a tank manufacture in your area and they will build you an exact replacement from your old tank. Repairing the old black steel tank is not a good choice.

You're wallets will be a little lighter and (as my English friends say) "And Bob's your uncle."

Good luck

Last edited:
You will of course want to find the actual source first. It could be a fitting on the top of the tank or a vent line or in the fill hose. I found upon topping off my tanks last summer that the vent line fittings leaked big time and later when another leak turned up it was an unused standpipe fitting that was leaking. Fixed that and no leaks since.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies folks. Edelweiss, that is indeed good news. I might remove one for measuring and then have two (or more) fabricated. 78puget, thanks for reminding me to check the easy stuff first. Always the best way to approach problems.

I probably won't get down to the boat until January, and I still have quite a bit of fuel to burn off, but it does seem to have stopped leaking now that I have reduced the level of the fuel in the tanks.

I'll keep you posted when I get into it. :thumb:

Cheers, Bill

Back
Top Bottom