Old 10-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #1

City: La Paz, BCS
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Fuel Monitoring on a LRC 42

Hi all,

I am shopping for a LRC 42 and have a question about fuel tanks and levels. With four separate tanks, how do you keep track of how much fuel is/isn't in each tank? I'm sure this will be the first of many LRC questions if I happen to land one.

Cheers, Bill
Old 10-09-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Hart Systems - Home

Tank Sentry Fluid Level Monitoring System| Headhunter Inc.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #3
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Tank tender

Your talking about a Hatteras I assume. On 48LRC there are gauges on the top of each tank, If you can access them. The 453 Detroit's move a lot of fuel, You can manage fuel easily by returning fuel to a different tank. I have a Tank Tender pressure type gauge that allows me to monitor fuel and water with one gauge.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
I have a Tank Tender pressure type gauge that allows me to monitor fuel and water with one gauge.
Ditto!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
Your talking about a Hatteras I assume.
This is posted in the Californian section, but I'd think any boat with 4 tanks would face a similar issue.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
On the Californian 42 LRC configured with four 125 gallon fuel tanks. The tanks are valved at the aft end and accessed under the aft deck hatch.

The typical setup is the tanks are setup in pairs, ie, the port side tanks for the port engine. I leave mine bridged on each side and pull from both tanks at the same time. The starboard engine and generator pull off the starboard tanks. There are valves for all the supply and return lines so you can basically feed and return the fuel however you desire. I added bridges between the two pairs of tanks just to provide more options for polishing and level adjustments.

All the 42's I have seen have fuel gauges mounted in the lower helm control panel. A previous owner of my 42 also mounted mechanical gauges on the tanks that are accessible from inside the aft cabin by lifting up the mattress's on either side. The electronic fuel senders are also accessible by lifting up the mattress's in the aft cabin.

Keep in mind previous owners might have upgraded to floscans or any number of possibilities from the factory setup so you need to ask when looking at prospective boats.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
On the Californian 42 LRC configured with four 125 gallon fuel tanks. The tanks are valved at the aft end and accessed under the aft deck hatch.

The typical setup is the tanks are setup in pairs, ie, the port side tanks for the port engine.
This is the most common setup on 38' - 42' aft cabin LRC's with twin full size beds. Those setup with one bed aft, either island or starboard side berth style, usually have two tanks which are both under the bed.

The sedan LRC's which are rare, I've only seen two, have a different tank setup. Usually two tanks, which are mounted port and starboard under the aft deck.