Fuel consumption/cruising speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
Good Morning.
As noted in previous posts I am looking at Californian trawlers 38 and 42 LRC. Can any of you tell me what your average cruise speed and consumption of fuel is. Also which engines you have.
Thanks
Jim
1966 Californian Express.

I can tell you I have a 1979 with twin 3209N Cats.. 217HP each. I run the Columbia river though so I fight the current one way, ride it the other... depending on the day I can set them to 1400 RPM and do 5.5knt up river... and 6.9 the next day.,, and 7.3 the next.. then add anywhere from 1 to 4 knts going down river. All depends on if we are on an ebb tide or not... (yes, the tide affects us all the way up here in Portland)

Burn rate is always about 4.5GPH at that RPM though.

Fastest my boat has ever gone according to PO is on smooth-ish ocean... 16+knts but you could hear the vacuum forming in the fuel tanks as she ran thru 20GPH or so.

Twin Perkins 130 HP, 6.354M. When I bought the boat new, the dealer stated that at cruise speed, 2400 rpm 10 knots, was between 6 and 7 gph. Faster than that, up to 2800 rpms I'm sure it goes up dramatically. I carry 500 gallons, provides plenty of range for cruising the coast up to SE Alaska.

I've never bothered to confirm that info as fuel was a very small part of the expense of owning the boat and we spend so much time idling and fishing, it would be hard to determine anyway.

Good luck in your search.

I would guestimate 1.5-1.6 NMPG at 12 Kts, 2.0 NMPG at 8 Kts.

If you're going to plane (15-23 Kts) with the big Cats or Detroits, better brace for 1.0 NMPG or less.

I typically cruise at 1700 rpms with CAT 3208NA's (210 HP each) and get a little better than 1 NMPG at 8 Knots. The fastest i've gone is 11 Knots at 2200 rpm. I used to figure you just throw a five dollar bill in the water every mile. With fuel prices where they are at now, every two miles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom