Old 04-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
There is an unwritten rule of the sea, and seagoing folk - we are allowed to slightly exaggerate...

Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 PM   #42
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Not sure your insurance company would see it that way if anything went wrong.Still, you could always blame it on the dog.
I think it`s a dyslectic dog, as in the agnostic dyslectic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there is a Dog.
As I recall, those auto off fuel nozzle fillers were hit and miss, some clicked off as you`d hope, some clicked off with a blowback shower of fuel.
If you buy fuel at Baileys self service facility in Sydney, as part of their online induction videos on which you are examined before they will issue a user card, they make it a 3 person job: one with the filler nozzle, one watching the tank level, one at the pump standing by the big red emergency OFF switch.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #43
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
at Baileys self service facility in Sydney, as part of their online induction videos on which you are examined before they will issue a user card, they make it a 3 person job: one with the filler nozzle, one watching the tank level, one at the pump standing by the big red emergency OFF switch.

Well that is fine if you are in a menage a trois.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #44
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
If the fuel exiting the nozzle is coming out in a wide spray pattern, it will effectively block off any vent pathway back out from the fill pipe.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Enroute to Cape May, NJ
Moore Haven, Florida
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #45
Veteran Member

City: SW Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
I just came through California, Oregon and Washington, fuelling the Motorhome in each. I didn't find anywhere that had the hands free clip removed. I was able to set the nozzle and go clean the windows. I saw truckers set the nozzle and go inside the store. This may not apply universally, but they certainly don't have the safety rules that we have in Canada, where all pumps have the hands free clip removed.
Just to keep the record straight- while BC may remove the hands free function,
Alberta doesn't and I believe most other western provinces don't.
BC law also makes you prepay for your fuel which is unique in Canada. But that's another story.
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:37 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
[/B]

Well that is fine if you are in a menage a trois.
I suppose it could work, nozzles and filler tubes, that kind of thing....
BTW, we had the experience last year of being required to pay in advance for fuel for the car in BC, seemed odd,but they must get some non paying drive offs. Not required in Alberta.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #47
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I suppose it could work, nozzles and filler tubes, that kind of thing....
BTW, we had the experience last year of being required to pay in advance for fuel for the car in BC, seemed odd,but they must get some non paying drive offs. Not required in Alberta.
Several years ago a gas station attendant named Grant was dragged to his death by a fuel and dash customer that he attempted to stop. Following that, "Grant's Law" was enacted, requiring prepayment, so as to prevent a recurrence of that particular tragedy. It is a provincial law, so only in BC.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Several years ago a gas station attendant named Grant was dragged to his death by a fuel and dash customer that he attempted to stop. Following that, "Grant's Law" was enacted, requiring prepayment, so as to prevent a recurrence of that particular tragedy. It is a provincial law, so only in BC.
Years ago when we lived back in NZ, it was the common practice to close up the shop at a fuel (service) station from about 9pm, and one paid for the fuel before pumping. It prevented drive-aways without paying, and assaults on staff and robberies. I still can't understand why that is not practised here in Aus, and elsewhere, (BC in Canada was wise), even now to prevent the drive-away problem. Closing up at night, except for a communication aperture through a security window, would also cut the assault and robbery as well, but I can see that the loss of ready access to the mini-supermarket most refuel stations have become would dent their profits, and hey...it's not the owners sitting down there at O-dark thirty at night is it..?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #49

City: Kalama, WA
Vessel Name: "Restitution"
Vessel Model: 38' Californian
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
If the fuel exiting the nozzle is coming out in a wide spray pattern, it will effectively block off any vent pathway back out from the fill pipe.
Bingo! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. This explanation makes perfect sense now. That is precisely what must have happened. Thanks. Sam
Restitution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #50

I want to thank all of you for your valuable advice. The worst is over, the tanks are now out of the boat. The boat and bilge are now clean. Which of you have any suggestions as to where to purchase/have made aluminum or steel tanks specifically for our Californians?
Old 04-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #51
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I want to thank all of you for your valuable advice. The worst is over, the tanks are now out of the boat. The boat and bilge are now clean. Which of you have any suggestions as to where to purchase/have made aluminum or steel tanks specifically for our Californians?
There is a company in Bellingham, Wa that a lot of people around here use, but that is a long way from Kalama, wa. Must be someone in your area, maybe Vancouver or Portland. If no one on the forum knows, check with some of the Marine boat manufactures in your area. That's how I found Peninsula glass company who builds the replacement aft cabin windows for our Californians LRC .
Old 04-27-2017, 12:16 AM   #52

Tanks now out and a quick trip via kayak to awaiting pickup truck. I may cut bottom off this weekend and inspect at least the good tank. The one pictured is the 'bulging' tank that I accidentally pressurized. Any experience with cutting a diesel tank? I will be using a die grinder. Combustibility? Do I need to fill with water?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2908.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	64181   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2909.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	64182  
Old 05-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #53

Update: Took out two starboard tanks and floated them to boat ramp and my awaiting truck. Tore out diesel soaked plywood floor and replaced with new marine plywood then painted with oil based paint. All diesel smell is now GONE in the boat. I will replace the outside tank with either aluminum tank $1,400 or steel tank $800? Not sure which yet. The original steel ones lasted 40 years and if I run the numbers, probably makes better sense. The second starboard tank will be replaced with a 100 gallon plastic water tank. This will give us 170 gallons of water total (the old bilge water tank leaks and is abandoned.

So my fuel setup will be outboard port and starboard fuel tanks are the mains and the inboard port tank is a reserve 125 gallons. This gives us 375 gallons of fuel which in my estimation allows for a 500 mile range. I believe this should be sufficient for any passage, to and including the Inside Passage. Any thoughts on this is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2908.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	64964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3132.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	64965   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3265.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	64966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3271.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	64967  
Old 03-06-2019, 12:02 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
re tank test pressure - 5 psi is around 10 feet of vertical diesel geyser. Did the backflow really get that high?

(10M of water = 1 ATM = 14.7psi & diesel is less dense than water)
Much higher than 10. The heavy nozzle and hose shot up at least that high past my head. Full force diesel into my face. I was soaked head to toe. It sprayed the entire surroundings. Is guess 15 to 20
Old 03-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #55
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
As everything is apart, give some thought to a much larger filler opening (mine is 4") and installing a fuel chest to capture spillage and provide a second vent. Look at commercial boats... plus a lowest-level tank drain to remove water and contaminants and inspection cut-outs in case you need to clean the tanks in the future.

Tags
californian, freak accident