Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #1

City: Poulsbo
Vessel Name: GypSea Lynn II
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 34
fly bridge extension

Has anyone extended the upper hard deck aft to the stern. I am up in Poulsbo WA if anyone has advice on how I could get this done.
Thanks

GypSea Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
GypSea Lynn,

Welcome! Good to see another 34 Californian aboard!

I don't have any advice to offer, but I'll be watching this thread with interest. I once looked into the price for a FB hardtop, but my interest cooled when I got quotes in the $10,000 range.

FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -
There is a company in Bellingham called Valhalla Marine Innovations that does this sort of work. They have a product line called The Tempest which are cockpit hardtops and bridge extensions. I've seen them installing bridge hardtops on a few boats over the years but know nothing about the company or the cost. Website is Valhalla Marine Innovations
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #4

I was thinking 8-10 was about the going rate from the last boat show in Seattle but have not see it done on a Californian. I am going to keep researching and move forward on getting it instaled this season. Look forward to all your inputs
Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #5

I recently saw a 34 LRC with an extension covering the cockpit advertised for sale in Portland, OR. It is on Seattle Craigslist. Maybe the current owner has some info for you.
Mgtdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I have see canvas. If I was doing it, I would do it mys.elf. You can buy 4' by 8' sheete of fiber glass already laid up and epoxy it to a marine plywood, cut to size, add trim with ss support. That is what I did. If you want to crow bend then rip the back side which will take the strength out of the wood. When you hane the curve bend fill the rips with epoxe to added back strength. Mess but not that hard. Cost a few hundred bucks. But I am cheap.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #7

City: New Bern, N.C.
I saw a guy with an Albin 27 who did something like this, only he used a product from a commercial sign company. Looked like white painted aluminum sheets bonded to thin foam. Strong, but light, weather resistant as it is made for outdoor use. Trimmed with aluminum channel, it look very professional. Also had some insulation value. I plan to look into it next year.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Guru

GypSea Lynn,
Are you contemplating this to provide cover to the cockpit,or to extend the usable flybridge area, or both? If the first only, it could be done in canvas or light solid material, cantilevered and/or supported by a frame, but if you want to be able to party on it, it has to be substantial and well supported.
One advantage either way is the opportunity to enclose the cockpit with mesh type covers which can be rolled up, offering all round weather protection. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #9

I am looking to extend the upper deck aft to the stern to make more room up top to sit and enjoy drinks with friends.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Or you could do as Bruce mentioned, and which I did to my Clipper 34, which used to have a rather inadequate cockpit canopy, and merely extend it over the whole cockpit plus the side-decks, for a fraction of the cost of a hardtop. Then you could entertain in the cockpit with easier access to the frig and food than perched up top. Works for us. See the avatar pic & below...it also provides better weather and sun protection to the windows...best thing we ever did to the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image033.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	11475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image042.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	11476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image109-2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	11477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image107-1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	11478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image106-1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	11479  

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #11

City: New Bern, N.C.
Well Done, Peter B. Is the frame welded stainless tubing? And did you do it yourself or hire it out?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
Guru

Neat work Peter, the cockpit is fully covered, and you created covered side decks "Europa" style.
Our flybridge extends over the entire cockpit, we sometimes relax on the flybridge at anchor, but more often in the cockpit,with overhead cover (Australia is the world melanoma leader so we need it)and protection from breeze from the bow, and access to supplies inside. Extending the flybridge has advantages up and down, and is a good idea. A good boat builder/shipwright should be able to build it, it will need support from strong areas below. Is the constructor/importer still around, is there a Europa version you can copy? BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
Well Done, Peter B. Is the frame welded stainless tubing? And did you do it yourself or hire it out?
It's good quality welded alloy, but looks almost like stainless actually, and I did get professionals to do this job. With some things it is just not worth it to try and do it yourself, and it is so much quicker and a better finished product done professionally. I do all my own wiring, electrical gadget/instrument installation and plumbing, servicing and so on, but some things I draw the line at.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Good job Peter,
You saved a ton of weight topside and I'll bet the shade is very nice. I could do that to Willy except for my dinghy considerations. I especially like your outboard edges the way they turn down. I never would of noticed in your avatar. Good job Peter.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Extended cockpit roof

The previous owner on my Californian 34 added a fiberglass top a few years ago and I believe it was over $10k.

It makes a huge difference with a new electric davit mounted there and I carry my Bauer sailing dingy up on top and it provides a great roof for shade and rain.

The addition was very professional and you cannot tell that it did not come out of the factory without the addition.

I will be up at the boat in Alameda tomorrow and Thursday and will take a couple more pictures and post them if you want.

I found one in my archives that gives a good view
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	11546  
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #16
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Peter: Super design and work! I'll be at work photo-shopping that design on my own boat. Unobtrusive, elegant, tasteful. Got any other photos of different angles?

gwkiwi: The hardtop looks like the dinghy or davit are no challenge for it.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #17
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Peter: Super design and work! I'll be at work photo-shopping that design on my own boat. Unobtrusive, elegant, tasteful. Got any other photos of different angles?
Thanks guys, we are very pleased with it...now let's see...other pics from different angles...? Hmmm...

Some of these were before the conversion/addition, so you can see it made quite a difference. One shows the bare frame before the canvas was applied over the side-deck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image081.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	11549   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	11550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image095.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	11551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image091.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	11552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image105-1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	11553  

Name:	Image108-1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	11554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image105.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	11555  
Old 05-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #18

gwkiwi

That looks like what I am trying to do. Any other information you have on who did the work would be great.

Mark
Old 05-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

City: -
Peter's extensions are excellently designed and executed but there is one thing that needs to be remembered, and that is that they are fabric. If good quality fabric is used and the thread used to stitch the seams is Gore Tenara then the extensions should be good for a long, long time. But depending on the climate, fabric may not be the best choice for these kinds of extensions.

Up here, where it rains 24/7/366, unless the fabric is cleaned and treated on a regular (read "frequent") basis, it can become and algae and stain farm. To say nothing of the effects seagull droppings will have on it if the boat is kept outside.

We have a lot of upward-facing canvas on our boat--- sailing dingy cover, full flying bridge cover, windlass cover, etc. And it is an ongoing task to keep it clean and in good condition.

If we had a boat that would benefit from having an aft deck cover or aft and side deck covers added, for our environment I would go with hard covers rather than fabric.

So something to consider and the factors in the decision will have much to do with the environment the boat lives in.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
If we had a boat that would benefit from having an aft deck cover or aft and side deck covers added, for our environment I would go with hard covers rather than fabric.

I wonder what the weight difference would be.

healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote