Old 06-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #21
Opu
Veteran Member

City: Oceanside
Vessel Name: Cheers
Vessel Model: Bayliner 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
My 34 Californian has the Perkins 4.236. It's the 4-cylinder version of the 6.354. I have not had a problem with parts availability or cost. I agree with the previously posts that a narrow engine improves engine access, especially in the 34. Given the choice, I'd pick the inline engine over the V.

My steel Perkins exhaust manifold for my 4.236, shipped from England, cost around $1600. I could have bought a TAD aftermarket for less, but chose to stay OEM on the manifold.
Haven't seen the twin Perkins 4s advertised for sale. What kind of speed and mileage do you get with them?

Opu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:25 AM   #22
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Just a wee bit more background info to stir the pot.
The heat exchangers fitted to Perkins are still manufactured by Bowman engineering, they're definitely not made of aluminium.
For spare marinisation parts contact ejbowman.co.uk and they will put you in touch with a local supplier or ship direct, be sure to give engine number when contacting them.
The Perkins HT6354 were a low profile engine originally designed with a low profile to fit under floor on buses. H stands for Horizontal T obviously for Turbo. The 6354 and the 4236 use many common parts and are regarded as the benchmark of British diesels .
The CAT 3208 is also a beautiful engine and highly regarded for it's rugged reliability.
Internet access and shipping services mean it's much easier to source parts and get quick delivery than say 20 years ago.

Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opu View Post
Haven't seen the twin Perkins 4s advertised for sale. What kind of speed and mileage do you get with them?
At 2000 RPM, my average speed with the 4.236s is 7.5 kts and my average fuel burn is a consistent 3 GPH total, 1.5 gph per engine.

These engines are 2800 RPM WOT. At that RPM, the top speed is only 10 Kts.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:23 AM   #24
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
Just a wee bit more background info to stir the pot.
The heat exchangers fitted to Perkins are still manufactured by Bowman engineering, they're definitely not made of aluminium.
For spare marinisation parts contact ejbowman.co.uk .
Interesting . . . . They make the combined cooler for the 6.354 Range 4, and it outwardly appears to be the same. But their header tank models for a 6.354M are nothing like my original setup. Do you suppose they used different marinization for North American Perkins prior to the "range series"?? Not a big deal if they don't since new cores are available from after market suppliers in the US and Canada. Just curious. . . .
Old 06-25-2014, 03:20 AM   #25
Guru

There are 2 main types of 6354 engines, the normal vertical and a horizontal which was designed originally for fitting under floor on buses, the engineers realised they could be used to lower the overall height when fitted to boats.
The different designations are T 6354 (turbo) HT 6354 (Horizontal turbo) the header tanks and heat exchangers were different for each series.
All the marinised engines sold by Perkins worldwide used E.J.Bowman heat exchangers, header tanks etc.
Other engines may have been marinised by others and would not be the same.
I don't know if you have the Serck radiator company over there but here in the UK, Ireland they can pressure test and replace cores.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Sweet Marie
Vessel Model: 34 Californian LRC
I have a 1979 Californian 34 LRC with the Perkins T6.354 185hp diesels. The pre 1980 version of this engine does not have the mani cooler. They have a simple heat exchanger and the exhaust manifold is separate. Cooling and exhaust parts for these are long lived and are not overly expensive to maintain or replace. I like the in line 6 because it gives me great access for maintenance. With proper maintenance they run a long time. My top end is about 17 knots. I typically cruise at either 8-8.5 knots or just over 10 knots. It seems happy at these two speeds. I estimate I get about 2 nmpg at the lower speed and 1.5 at the higher speed. These are just estimated guesses. I have owned the boat almost two years and have put about 240 hours on her. These are great boats and well built. I would not hesitate to get one with either engine.
Sweet marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:40 AM   #27
Guru

Those 6354 and it's smaller sister the 4236 are considered the benchmark of diesels and many can be found in various applications from Hy-Mac diggers to buses and I believe they are still made in Perkins Brazilian factory.