Old 10-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Engine Access

Looked at a 1979 42 LRC in San Diego this weekend. Pretty good shape needed a little TLC. My question is regarding engine access. Is the only access to the engines thru the small door way under the stairs or does the floor in the main salon have hatches or panels that remove to expose the engines. This boat had new hardwood floors and according to the broker the floors are solid with no access. I find this odd. Anyone with a 42 or 38 please chime in.
Thanks
Jim

jclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #2

City: Anacortes Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
So what kind of boat is it?

Russell Clifton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I'm guessing a Hatteras 42LRC and if so there is excellent access through the salon hatches.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #4

City: Anacortes Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
I suggest you go into the engine room ( assuming the engine room is under the salon) and lookup at the ceiling. If is has hatches you should be able to see them. Could be the new floors were laid over the top, rendering them useless, unless the floor is torn back up.
Russell Clifton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Its in the Californian Thread and I identified it as a 1979 LRC. Did you get lost?
Old 10-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Any CALIFORNIAN LRC trawler owners with a 42 or 38 1974 thru 1985 to answer the original information request.
Thank you
Jim
Looked at a 1979 42 LRC in San Diego this weekend. Pretty good shape needed a little TLC. My question is regarding engine access. Is the only access to the engines thru the small door way under the stairs or does the floor in the main salon have hatches or panels that remove to expose the engines. This boat had new hardwood floors and according to the broker the floors are solid with no access. I find this odd. Anyone with a 42 or 38 please chime in.
Thanks
Jim
Old 10-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #7

City: Anchorage
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Engine room access

On my 42 LRC Californian, there is one large hatch and two smaller hatches. Opens up to maybe 4x6 ish.
Rogerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:44 AM   #8

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
When we purchased our 42 LRC it had the access under the stairs and one approximately 24"x24" floor hatch that opened against the settee...not very functional as you had to hold it open going in or out. A second,larger intended hatch was pinned under the peninsula of our u-galley. As part of replacing the carpet I made both hatches tilt up and lift out. It's nice to have entrance options and the additional natural light when desired.

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:57 AM   #9

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
Hatch Pic

Here is a pic of the hatches. The larger hatch drops you between the engines and the smaller hatch drops you between the port engine and gen. I remember repositioning the support between the two aft a bit to make the smaller hatch larger.
Attached Images

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:46 AM   #10
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Crawling into an engine space doesn't appeal to me. Prefer dropping down through hatches with access port, starboard, and above. If I had a grander boat, I'd prefer a 6+foot door and ceiling headroom in the engine room. Don't feel short-changed, since drop-down access gives me at least four feet of clearance above the head, with engine compartment below the pilothouse.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclays View Post
Its in the Californian Thread and I identified it as a 1979 LRC. Did you get lost?
Yes I did indeed! I browse by New Posts and often don't look at what sub-forum is associated. So EXCUSE me!
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I’m w caltec
“LRC” on a forum where most all of us don’t have Californians just dosn’t cut it. Or one could think it was a DeFever.
One should identify what you’re talking about if you intend to be successful at communicating.
As I’ve said before that applies (even more-so) for thread titles. “Wow did you see this?” doesn’t cut it either.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #13
Guru

Mark,
Engines are just engines and only mechanics “lower themselves” into such undesirable places. Most of the people topside will appreciate fine accommodations though even away from the club.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #14
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
What engines are in it, and how much clearance between bottom of deck and top of engines?

Can you get outboard of the engines?

If there is good room in there, even heavy maintenance and repairs can be done completely in the hole with no overhead holes needed.

Still hate it when the "interior decorators" forget that this is a BOAT with ENGINES down there and if you bury them under foo-foo, it is a problem.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I’m w caltec
“LRC” on a forum where most all of us don’t have Californians just dosn’t cut it. Or one could think it was a DeFever.
One should identify what you’re talking about if you intend to be successful at communicating.
As I’ve said before that applies (even more-so) for thread titles. “Wow did you see this?” doesn’t cut it either.
If you are inquiring on the "Californian" thread of this forum and not the "General" thread then its obvious that you are targeting the owners of Californian trawlers not a DeFever. If you are responding to a post then you should know where you are at before you comment...Over..
Old 10-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Mark,
Engines are just engines and only mechanics “lower themselves” into such undesirable places. Most of the people topside will appreciate fine accommodations though even away from the club.
I do all my own maintenance and most of my engine work.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:37 AM   #17
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Yes I did indeed! I browse by New Posts and often don't look at what sub-forum is associated. So EXCUSE me!

I did the same.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #18
Guru

jclays,
But one must consider where the information will go, or post in this case. And it goes to Trawler Discussions. For all to see.

dhays,
Indeed most probably do. If you don’t edit you read all the drivel. I post a lot here but don’t click on half the threads. And if information is lacking in a thread title I pass.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aft Deck Capt View Post
Here is a pic of the hatches. The larger hatch drops you between the engines and the smaller hatch drops you between the port engine and gen. I remember repositioning the support between the two aft a bit to make the smaller hatch larger.
The one I saw in San Diego had a small access door under the stairs in the lower forward cabin. Is there one under the stairs in the lower aft cabin>
Thanks
Old 10-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #20
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
In order to see the thread designation one has to deliberately scan to the very top of the page, which action hides the recent threads list at "Trawler Discussions". Very rarely would I get that top of page identifier visible, as passing through "trawler Discussions" would only happen accidentally.
Not being a Californian owner, I had no idea the 42 is called LRC, so was surprised when it was so identified by the OP.
This will not change how I find threads to read, as I will continue to mine the TD section.