Cummins Diesels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Halifax Jack

Hello new to group. :) Looking at a 42 LRC
Did 42 LRC's ever come with Cummins Diesels?

If so how was performance?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

If you're talking about the Trawler version of the Californian LRC's, only ones I've seen with Cummings were after market conversions. Standard was 4 or 6 cycl. Perkins and Cat 3208's later. Almost all of the 34' to 42' were twins. I've seen one early factory 42' with a single Perkins 6-354T. There is a picture of it in one of the threads.

The later pilot house Marshal Californians may have included Cummings, some of those owners could answer for them.

If you are referring to the Hatteras 42 LRC, I believe those were primarily built with Detroit 453's.

Thanks Larry
It is the same boat as yours 77 42 tri cabin said was rebuilt with Cummins
Engine Model: 6 BT 5.9l in 2004 Thinking repowered ?? Fuel tanks have been replaced as well

Also is a fiberglass water tank a concern or not to worry. Have not seen boat yet after New Years but everything on it appears first class. Like the boat but new to trawlers not sure things I should be looking for. A survey, sea trail and oil samples would be a must

Cheers John

I would think that the 6BT Cummins would be a good step up from the 6-354T's which were mostly rated at 185 hp in the 42's. I forget, but seems like the 3208 wasn't offered until a little later. Plus being a V8 took up a lot of the engine room width. A few more HP would serve that hull well. I would expect it to reach at least 12 - 14 kts with the semi planing hull and good fuel economy at 9 - 10 kts or less.

The fiberglass water tanks do develop stress fractures and leak. But are repairable in place by cutting an access panel in the top of the tank and reinforcing the tank from the inside. There are several threads on here with instructions.

Check the aft stateroom windows for leaks and water stains. If they are wood frames, they probably haven't been changed out yet. The windows are 9' long and the vibration of the diesels makes the old wood frames impossible to keep sealed and watertight. Should be changed out with metal frames. Otherwise great boat and very seaworthy.

The 6BT are a great engine. With almost any engine in that range the fuel economy will be similar and pretty good if you keep the boat under about 9 to 10 knots.

It's only a single data point but I still have the original fiberglass holding and fresh water tanks in my 1977 34 LRC. They're holding up fine.

Sorry to be a pest but would you know the air draft of your boat. I have a Bridge issue.

I assume the mast goes down yes?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom