Cork Veneer Ceiling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Fred

I have a 1981 42' Californian LRC with a beautiful cork veneer ceiling in the salon. I need to replace one stip of the veneer. Can anyone tell me where I might find this cork veneer? Thanks for your help. Capt. Fred

Stuff comes in rolls at most hobby / craft stores.

It's more like a cork wall paper glue over a thin sheet of plywood, than a veneer. I haven't replaced mine yet, but it is a dated look. Still don't know what I will replace it with??

Larry B,

I've tried a couple of times to upload a photo but unsuccessful. Sorry. It is a simulated cork paper as described by Larry B. Thanks

I have the cork, I'm keeping it.

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 322
Cork Ceiling

TG: Your photo is exactly how my ceiling looks. I like mine also and have had a lot of complimentary comments about the way it looks. Do you know where I can purchase more of that material? Thanks for the photo.

Capt Fred,

Have you called Navigator Yachts to ask? My boat was built in Tustin, CA by Marshall Boats. Jule Marshall, the designer/builder, and his son, Gil, still run Navigator/Californian. I called and spoke to Gil about my boat and we had a great conversation with his Dad listening on the speaker from the next desk. Gil recalled being a 15 year old working at his Dad's factory. He was the bilge rat who climbed in the early hulls running wire and plumbing since he was the smallest guy.

They recall much about those early models and might be able to point you toward the vendor. At the very least, you're likely to have a great conversation with the early builders of your boat, if it's a Marshall model.

About - Navigator Yachts, Inc.

Al, Thanks a bunch. My boat is a Marshall boat and I will get in touch with Navigator Yachts. I'll let you know what I find out. Capt. Fred

I know this is an older thread, but thought it fit the topic if someone is looking for this type of info...

Finally getting around to replacing the old butterscotch vinyl headliner and the nasty carpet and cork that was on the hull walls in the cabin with bead board and trim. Tricky job, as there is NOTHING square or even underneath the old headliner. Basically had to build a substructure of studs to attach the bead board.

Replacing the port lights at the same time with much larger, fully opening ports. Man what a difference in light and airflow they make!! Still have to do the fore cabin... ran out of vacation time....

Cabin Before:

IMG_0902.jpg IMG_0904.jpg IMG_0909.jpg

Cabin During:

IMG_0913.jpg IMG_0931.jpg IMG_0932.jpg

Cabin after:

IMG_0015.jpg IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0016.jpg

Couple more shots of the salon....

Before:

IMG_0023.jpg IMG_0024.jpg

During:

IMG_0028.jpg IMG_0029.jpg

After:

IMG_0934.jpg IMG_0030.jpg IMG_0031.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 163
Great work. Where did you get the bead board? What finish did you use. Sure did lighten things up.

Thanks, all! She's starting to look like one of those fancy Hinckley "lobster boats"... Lord, I hope not. I want it to look good, but not so good that I'm afraid to use it!

It's been tedious work, but not difficult. Worst part is trying to get a somewhat level and squared substructure with the studs. I got the idea from my old Passport 40 sailboat, which had a similar setup.

I used bead board I got at Lowes; 4x8' sheets. Very reasonable. I sealed the back side for added moisture protection and then painted the front side (which was already primed) with a semi-gloss enamel. Filled the areas between the studs with R-Tech insulated sheeting. Should make it a little better insulated and help with moisture control... not that we have an issue with that here on the Gulf Coast, ha!

Like the bamboo thatch, too! Might have considered it if I'd have seen it sooner. The wife likes the added light with the white ceiling and bigger ports.

Al, tried to answer your PM. Hope I did it right!

Bren

That bamboo is also very nice, Dave.

Bren,

Looks really nice. I made the mistake of showing it to the admiral....you know where that went. Now it's been added to the project list. How did you attach the fir strips? Also, do you have any photos from the outside with the new bigger portlights?

DHM,
Where did you get the bamboo-like material? And how did you attach it?

They've already said it.

Bren, Looks really nice. I made the mistake of showing it to the admiral....you know where that went. Now it's been added to the project list. How did you attach the fir strips? Also, do you have any photos from the outside with the new bigger portlights? DHM, Where did you get the bamboo-like material? And how did you attach it?

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead anyone. That's not my boat, I'm looking for that material as well.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Bustlebomb...

I know the feeling, except in our house it's when the wife is watching HGTV and says, "Hey, you can do that with our house!". :ermm:

The studs and strips are adhered with 3M 5200 and stainless screws. On the sheer vertical section in the cabin where the port lights are, the fiberglass is non-cored and very thin (1/8-1/4 inch) so I could only use 5200, no screws. The rest of the ceiling is cored with 1/2 inch (in some places 2 layers thick) plywood, so there's no problem backing up the 5200 with screws. I attached the bead board with nails (thank goodness for air guns!) and then stainless screws along the edges, which are covered up by the trim pieces.

Here's some pics of the port light from outside...

Before:

IMG_0927.jpg

During:

IMG_0928.jpg IMG_0929.jpg

After:

IMG_0018.jpg IMG_0019.jpg

Cheers!

Bren

Nice work Bren .The fit and paint finish looks really good. That's what I do on vacation. We need to get this work thang behind us .

Bren,

The portlights look great! Not to hijack the thread but where did you get the portlights? What did you use to cut the fiberglass to fit the new ones? And what did you bed them with? That looks like a great project. I've got to be careful bot to show that one to my wife yet....

Matt

Here's what my 1977 34 LRC Capt's stateroom portlights look like. I thought we all had 2 ports in the cabin.

img_218003_0_1db2e43e2903f3d64106748d897ce919.jpg

img_218003_1_8804a3471e13a7a1da25bd36904057f6.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom