Cockpit Bolster Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Jon

Guru
Vessel Name
Waypoint
Vessel Make
Californian 48' CPMY
It's time that I recover the cockpit bolsters. I have been studying the removal for some time now to no avail. :banghead: You would think it should be easily removed through the inspection covers but it's not. Just cannot get to the nuts on the bolster studs. I have decided to remove the gunwale wood on the transom door and see if I can get to it through the top of the cap. Anyone have any experience with this?

We had the bolsters recovered on a Key West last year and went through the same thing. I removed panels to find I couldn't get access to the backs. It turns out on this Key West, the bolster was attached by plastic studs that were screwed into the side of the boat. The male part that went in to the bolster, was similar to an automotive type friction clip. All I did was take a flat screw driver and they popped right off.

Larry, I wish it was that easy. I can take a mirror and see that there is a stud out the back with a nut on it. Better yet one of the bolster sections that's right next to the transom door just pulls off. It's missing the nuts on its studs. Appears that someone tried to use liquid nails to make it stick but thank goodness it did not hold!

Hi Capt. Jon,
it has been my experience that any existing fasteners and backing boards are probably rotted to the point of no longer being serviceable. I would suggest talking to the trim shop that you are planning on using and getting new fastening ideas from them. You will probably find that the wood boards that the padding and upholstery attach to will not be reusable and destroying the fasteners by gently prying them off is the only option.

Back
Top Bottom