Old 05-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #21

T--71, believe your observations are correct. 14 to 15 knots with my set up will be it. Spray doesn't get back up to the deck on the boat just not used to seeing so much forward when cruising. But it will be ok. FP

Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #22
FF
Guru

The boat diesel response is explaining an OVERLOADED engine , not one simply operating at rated power. A few hundred RPM down , with NO black in the exhaust is usually fine.

Many engines can suffer from internal hot spots , where the coolant will boil inside the engine.

On many DD the rule is never run at over 200F to avoid a cracked head.210F is DISASTER!

The 3208 is not known for cracking , even with bigger turbo levels.

www.evanscooling.com/

The Evans coolant will allow you to run a higher internal temp for better efficiency , or simply as insurance when running really hard.

I agree a EGT on both exhausts would allow you to have a better idea about the loads.

Have you thought about replacing the boat with a design built TO plane , rather than wallow,, sort of,, on top?

Might be loads cheaper to keep.

FF

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #23

This boat was a compromise between a go faster boat and a childdren friendly, 6-8 adults, liesure boat with gulf fishing now and than. From reading the reports and posts in the forum assumed we could get 15knots
at cruise and decided to live with that. Just now getting the boat in condition to do check out and see what we have. It looks like we are close to the 15 knot number but will have to consider removing some pitch to get rated rpm at WOT and give up a knot or two in speed. Posted to get some opinions from others as to the prop, engine rpm, and maybe an overpropped situation. Thanks for the comments.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #24

I have the 34 Californian with the twin 200 Perkins. Last year I was just making just 15 knots at Maximum engine speed. I have trim tabs but noted that at times depending how the boat was loaded that I got much spray forward as you have described but with the tabs up. This I would notice when I got above about 12 knots and approached 15. I had the props gone through this winter and the prop shop said they were out quite a bit and I should expect to see a notable increase in performance.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #25

Duvie what did they say your props were and what are they now? Your horsepower is close to mine. What are your engines max rated rpm? Thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #26
Per
Guru

have you considered to have the injectors overhauled?
could be your engines are just not getting properly metered diesel.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #27

Something to consider. Not sure how much 16 injectors reworked would cost, but wonder if there is a way I could find out thru instrumentation if the engine was up to power, vice taking out each injector and reworking it. ??
Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #28
Per
Guru

my mech quoted me, lets just say it was expensive!
but we are talking completely overhauled injectors..
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #29

My props were 21 x20 4 blade. The shop corrected pitch problems between blades and kept them at 21 x20. Max RPM on my Perkins is 2400rpm and trannies are 1.6/1.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:36 AM   #30
FF
Guru

The injectors on a 3208 are quite easy to remove for service..

In Fl checking . hooking to the bench and pressurizing is frequently free or $5.00 each.

Last quote I had was $60 each to overhaul.

Re installing is the reverse of pulling.

Should it be required timing is a snap,

Loosen the injector pump, insert a drill bit as pin, lock up, pull the pin.

You might talk to a sharp rebuilder to see if there is a "better" set of settings for an engine run at max power cont.

FF

FF is offline   Reply With Quote