Old 07-27-2018, 06:14 PM   #1

City: Atascadero, Ca
Vessel Model: Parker 2310
Californian 55 CPMY opinions

Hi all, long time boater and lurker.
The wife and I are looking at boats to do an Alaskan cruise. We did a week long charter out of Auke Bay last year and we are hooked.
We have owned boats to 37' and the charter boat was a 47'. We have done multiple charters in the San Juans and Caribbean.
We both like the layout of the 55 especially since we both fish. The large space of the upper aft deck and large staterooms are attractive.

So I guess my questions are;
Is this boat capable of an Alaskan cruise of 5 months or so?

Is it efficient enough at slow speeds (6-8 knots) to make the necessary fuel stops?

Are there any major problems with these boats that I need to know about?

The engine choices seem to be the DD 6V92TA and the Cat 3208T. There is a big HP difference between the two. Does this boat run at planning speeds with the Cats?

I have never owned a boat with a water maker. Is this a high maintenance item? Do they have high reliability?

Thank you in advance for your comments!

Charlie and Lori

Bajabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
A member on TF just bought a 55í Californian. Donít remember the name though. Hopefully he will chime in with some answers for you. Welcome aboard.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:27 AM   #3

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to bglad
Powerboat Guide says it will plane with 375hp Cats. I recently looked at a 52 with 425 Cats that planed fine. Speed in knots noted as follows 8@1,300, 14.5@2,300 and 18@2,800 (wot).

Check the tanks carefully. Most have at least one that sits on the bottom of the hull in the aft stateroom. If it is aluminum take some extra time to look at areas of it you are able to see to satisfy yourself it is OK.

Waste tanks were also aluminum under the galley sole. Some of those have already been changed. Especially if heads used raw-water rinse.

Check cores in foredeck and aft deck shade around spoiler and tender chocks if installed.

Hulls usually survey pretty well. Systems are a box of chocolates depending on their owners. 30 year old diesels need a complete detailed inspection.
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #4

City: Atascadero, Ca
Vessel Model: Parker 2310
bglad, thanks for your reply. Knowing what to look for is huge when checking out boats you know nothing about.��
Bajabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote