Old 05-31-2016, 11:17 AM   #1

City: Alameda, CA
Vessel Name: Free Range
Vessel Model: Californian 45
Question Californian 45, 1988 but new to us!

Hi, My husband and I just bought an '88 Californian 45, twin Cat MY. When she was surveyed, all systems worked. Now it seems like none of them work (water pump, bilge pumps, head pumps, etc.) I am pretty sure there is a switch somewhere that got switched off so these aren't functioning.

The refer works, plugs work, oven, microwave...

I am just lost. My gung-ho mate thinks we need to "buy a new one", but I'm pretty sure all these systems didn't crap out at the same time.

The previous owner is difficult to communicate with (he's forgotten a lot), and the broker is a crook, so he's not getting a call either.

Does anyone know of a master switch? Secret handshake? Code word? Place to rub gently and knock twice? Anything? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Or if you live in the SF Bay area, can you come take a look at her? I am near tears.

Thank you! - Patty
NotPing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
sounds like the AC stuff works but not the DC. Look near the batteries for a switch and make sure the batteries aren't dead.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #3
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I had an '89 which is pretty much the same boat. You have a 12 volt problem. It sounds like your batteries are off either by accident or have died. Mine were under the floor boards between the engines. Get a 12v tester and check for voltage. I would have said check the main battery switches if you had not mentioned the bilge pumps which should not go through a switch...instead they should be wired directly to a battery.

If I remember correctly my main battery switches were under the top step on the stairs up from the aft stateroom. Raise the step and look under there. Or, they may be on the aft bulkhead in the engine room...big red rotary switches.

The things you mention that are working are 110V items.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:48 PM   #4

I can hardly wait to get out of work to try these things! I have been SO frustrated! thank you! thank you!
Old 05-31-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
Guru

I am still a little fuzzy about battery switches location...it's been several years since I sold mine.

Another place to look is under the step going up from the salon to the aft deck.

The step going up from he aft stateroom to the main salon may be the fuel manifold to switch between the aft and saddle tanks.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Patty, where do you keep your boat? Maybe one or two of us with boats can come by and lend a hand. I've got a DVM and know how to use it. My boat's in Vallejo, but I live in Sacramento.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:57 PM   #7
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Does this look familiar?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464721035.786332.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  71.7 KB

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #8

Seasalt - I know the fuel manifold is under the lowest stair from the aft stateroom into the Salon - I will check the top step tonight.

Flywright - We keep her in Alameda. I may be able to troubleshoot this myself, and keep your very kind offer in my back pocket.

CPseudonym - I will look. It doesn't seem familiar at the moment, but I haven't spent as much time in the engine room as my husband.

Ya'll are AWESOME!!!!!

Old 05-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #9
Guru

What Craig said. They will look like his picture and depending on the build schedule could be anywhere.

But I am leaning toward the steps from the salon to the aft deck.

We really enjoyed our 45, Lived on it for over 5 years and traveled from Galveston, TX to Booth Bay Harbor, Maine. Ours had the 485 hp Detroits and and would really scoot along. It is a fantastic boat in a choppy sea. You guys will love it.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:37 PM   #10

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
I would strongly consider hiring a marine mechanic familiar (an ol' seasoned independent charter captain will work) with your style boat as a consultant and teacher on your systems. Take vidoes/pics and notes as he/she goes through the boat's DC systems along w/ the AC side as well. Spend at least a day with your new best friend going over your new boat....best investment you can make on your boat. .
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:28 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
I would strongly consider hiring a marine mechanic familiar (an ol' seasoned independent charter captain will work) with your style boat as a consultant and teacher on your systems. Take vidoes/pics and notes as he/she goes through the boat's DC systems along w/ the AC side as well. Spend at least a day with your new best friend going over your new boat....best investment you can make on your boat. .
I would second that recommendation. This is just one of many, many things on the boat to know or not know. Ultimately you can spend hours on hours finding out where things are and how they work and in just a few short hours, someone can walk you through instead showing you everything. Also, the second benefit, is it may prevent you from damaging something through not knowing.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
And, I think most would be happy to "go through" another boat.
Who knows, they might even find something to give them an idea
for a neat mod or a different solution to a problem.

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:41 PM   #13
TF Site Team

Another thought....get the surveyor back out for an hour or two to brief you on the particulars of the boat you hired him to inspect.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #14
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Another thought....get the surveyor back out for an hour or two to brief you on the particulars of the boat you hired him to inspect.
Who was the surveyor?
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #15

All - regarding your suggestion to get the surveyor to teach us, it would mean a plane ticket. We are in the SF Bay area, and the surveyor (Bunker Hill) is in Dana Point. The previous owner is in Tahoe, and he's forgotten lots of things.

I looked at the stairs - the top step doesn't move, and my husband said the red knob is in the engine room.

FlyWright -- can we take you up on your kind offer of a visit? I'm not sure the best way to find "a marine mechanic familiar (an ol' seasoned independent charter captain will work) with your style boat as a consultant and teacher on your systems"... and you probably know more anyway! We'd buy you a really awesome lunch!

Thank you!
Old 06-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #16
TF Site Team

Sure. I'll send you a PM with my schedule.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #17
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotPing View Post
FlyWright -- can we take you up on your kind offer of a visit? I'm not sure the best way to find "a marine mechanic familiar (an ol' seasoned independent charter captain will work) with your style boat as a consultant and teacher on your systems"... and you probably know more anyway! We'd buy you a really awesome lunch!
Be sure to remove all designer brewed beverages from your vessel if you want him to leave before dark. FlyWright is known around here for his thorough marine refrigerator 'inspections'.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #18

Thanks for the warning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Be sure to remove all designer brewed beverages from your vessel if you want him to leave before dark. FlyWright is known around here for his thorough marine refrigerator 'inspections'.
Wow, Bligh, thank you for the warning! I will be sure to have extra guards on fridge watch. Never can be too careful.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #19
TF Site Team

Fridge Inspections are provided free of charge as an extra service to fellow TF brethren.

Can I get an AMEN?

Old 06-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #20

Amen and Hallelujah!!!! I'm curious... what makes for a perfect fridge inspection?

Tags
californian 45, electrical