Californian 38 80's new build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil23

Vessel Name
MV Unique
Vessel Make
Salthouse Coastal 35
Good morning guys, can somebody please confirm for me that the Marshall California 38 (Wellcraft) were built in Taiwan in the 80's.

Where did you hear that at?

I've never heard anyone suggest that Californians were built anywhere other than in the USA. All the articles and strings on this forum point to that fact.

As far as I know, the Californian trawler style boats, Marshall and Wellcraft, of all lengths were built at either the Santa Anna or Tustin, California plants. For the short time that Wellcraft owned the Californian name from 1980 - 1984, the 42' LRC's were still built by Marshall at their plant in California. The 42's are essentially a stretched 38'.

If you look through some of the discussions strings, people have posted pictures of the manufactures tag located on the cable chase which states where the boat was built. One of them I noted was for a 1981 boat and it says "Tustin, Ca." on the tag

Flywright personally spoke with Mr. Marshall and he can probably elaborate on this subject.

Last edited:
That was my belief however looking at doing a deal on one down here (NZ) and found this article about her.

Attachments

• 2016-07-13 (1).jpg
    2016-07-13 (1).jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 191
The article states it's a "Californian, made in Taiwan," which may be the case and if so, probably not a Marshall or Wellcraft boat. Just one of the many Taiwan yards using the name.

It also talks about "large stateroom forward, twin sliding door and transom door" These all suggest the boat is a sedan. Most of the Californian sedans were 34's and smaller. They made very few 38' and 42's sedans. . . very small number. :eek: I've seen two 42 sedans in the 40 years I've owned my LRC. Does it talk about it's power? 99.9% of all Californians 34' and larger were twins, either Perkins or Cats if original.

On the off chance it really is a 38' Californian sedan, it is worth checking out. They're very rare and at 69,000 NZ, that's about $50,000 US or was that a US newspaper? I see it says Oakland in the header......

Let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
OH DANG ! That IS a 38' Californian sedan :facepalm:

Engine room and stateroom pic's could have been better kind of dark. But Twin Cats, Maybe NA's. Says it has a 4 kw gen, but the 38' and 42's of that era typically came with an MDJE 7.5k Gen set. What a nice boat.

You could put another fridge on the flybridge, that's at least two more cases of beer.

Al you need that boat. . . . :thumb:

Last edited:
That would be a great boat for my area...and it's in my own backyard! I'd love the turn of speed, but will stick with my slow, 'lil boat. I finally got her where I have wanted her functionally, mechanically and electrically with upgrades and improvements. She suits me just fine!!

Looks like a nice 38 LRC sedan, though!!

I hear you Al, after 40 years, I know my boat well.

But. . . . If I were a younger man, I would swap for an equal 38' or 42' Californian sedan in a heart beat. I really don't need the aft cabin stateroom any longer and the sedan would better fit our boat use and needs now.:blush:

Last edited:
Built in tustin claifornia

good morning guys, can somebody please confirm for me that the marshall california 38 (wellcraft) were built in taiwan in the 80's.

this boat was built in tustin california. As suggested lower in post a broker got it wrong. Take your post down please phil. She is on the market and people keep asking if it's built in taiwan because of your post.

Built in tustin claifornia

where did you hear that at?

I've never heard anyone suggest that californians were built anywhere other than in the usa. All the articles and strings on this forum point to that fact.

As far as i know, the californian trawler style boats, marshall and wellcraft, of all lengths were built at either the santa anna or tustin, california plants. For the short time that wellcraft owned the californian name from 1980 - 1984, the 42' lrc's were still built by marshall at their plant in california. The 42's are essentially a stretched 38'.

If you look through some of the discussions strings, people have posted pictures of the manufactures tag located on the cable chase which states where the boat was built. One of them i noted was for a 1981 boat and it says "tustin, ca." on the tag

flywright personally spoke with mr. Marshall and he can probably elaborate on this subject.

your correct larry. Broker error. This boat was built in tustin california. She's a gem and is now in new zealand. I importr her from san fran.

Built in tustin california

the article states it's a "californian, made in taiwan," which may be the case and if so, probably not a marshall or wellcraft boat. Just one of the many taiwan yards using the name.

It also talks about "large stateroom forward, twin sliding door and transom door" these all suggest the boat is a sedan. Most of the californian sedans were 34's and smaller. They made very few 38' and 42's sedans. . . Very small number. :eek: I've seen two 42 sedans in the 40 years i've owned my lrc. Does it talk about it's power? 99.9% of all californians 34' and larger were twins, either perkins or cats if original.

On the off chance it really is a 38' californian sedan, it is worth checking out. They're very rare and at 69,000 nz, that's about $50,000 us or was that a us newspaper? I see it says oakland in the header......

Let us know what you find out.

i purchased her and importer her to new zealand where she still sits proudly. She was built in tustin california. $69k was us$ and it cost near that again to get her to new zealand.

Californian 38 Trawler LRC

i purchased her and importer her to new zealand where she still sits proudly. She was built in tustin california. $69k was us$ and it cost near that again to get her to new zealand.

Hi folks
I just saw this thread about the Californian 38 in New Zealand. Well I can clear it up for anybody interested. I imported her from California to New Zealand. I can confirm 100% she was built at the Marshall yard in Tustin, California Hull ID # JCM38007M82B. Has it's Marshall build plates and all serial numbers etc on the boat. When she got here and I had a new transducer installed the boat builder said she was built like a war ship. One of the heaviest lay ups he's had to penetrate. She's still running like a dream 7 or 8 years later. Cheers Richard

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom