Californian 38/42 in beam seas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
I've noticed a few of the full displacement hull trawlers roll quite a bit in a beam sea. Californian's appear to have a semi displacement hull. Do they roll less than the Chinese trawlers?

My 34 rolls plenty, but I'd call it a snappy roll. In my way of understanding, the chines provide some roll resistance, but cause a quicker reversal resulting in a 'snappy' roll, not the smoother roll with perhaps a longer roll period of a FD hull.

The Californian carries it's beam (at the chine) well into it's ends. That should deliver good stability but there's much more to rolling than stability. CG, weight, beam, dead rise, chine design and other elements of boat design have a lot to do w it. But the seas may be even more of an influence on rolling. The height (obviously) but more importantly the time period between crests. And usually there is more than one wave system in play. The most maddening seas I've been in were very confused seas. Also a wave is mot a wave. They all have a difference that almost could be called personality. Wind driven new waves have sharp edges like mountians on the west coast and old waves w no wind have smooth soft edges like mountians on the ight coast. And they both have a different affect on boats.

So .... In some seas the Californian will stay very horizontal and on other seas of the same size the boat will roll badly. And if you rotate the boat a bit it may be very different. But the typical wide beam trawler will typically be much more steady in typical beam seas than a FD trawler. And all FD trawlers are more different form eachother than typical hard chine SD trawlers are.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom