Californian 34 rudder size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roger,
The project was a complete success and I am very pleased with the results.
The tracking is better, less wander, Turning radius greatly reduced, handling in close quarters more positive and less swing while anchored.
Since you are in Victoria, give me a call 250-722-7245 and we can talk about how I did it.
Geo

rudder

Two years ago we hit a submerged log hard enough to bend props & rudders a bit. The starboard rudder box*now leaks with some enthusiasm, particularly when being worked hard; ie running with following seas. I pulled the rudder out of the boat the other day for inspection, and repair. It is bent, & the shaft is grooved somewhat. Packing for the last few years has been Gore-tex. There is also noticeable wobble in the shaft/rudder assembly as it goes thru the collar(s) and box. Possible some out-of-shape issues there. Sorry to ramble; but my real question concerns the rudder size & shape. Would it make sense to consider changing the rudder shape to one of a squarer profile? Perhaps adding an inch or so to the trailing edge? The yard owner suggested it. Primarily for better low speed control & less work/more control*in following seas. It is an interesting thought. I'm not sure about the engineering involved as far as shaft (1") stress, etc goes, so I thought I'd see what* sort of opinion other 34 owners might have.

Thanks
hey buddy, the rudder size on my 34 is, well, way too small. Mine are rect. Too. The utility boats we used to run were hugh, but with our almost flat bottom in the back, I think we would keep bigger ones torn off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom