Old 02-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #21
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
RE: Californian 34 rudder size

Quote:
GeoCr wrote:
I am running at 1375 - 1400 rpm and getting 7 kts.

I found the original props when I got the boat were 20 X 18 and over reving.

A propellor master in Nanaimo determined I was under proped so we added 1 inch ( 20 X 19) with a cup on the trailing edge. Cut 500 rpm off the cruise speed.

Mechanics in my area differ on whether or not this is good or bad, but with the max torque of these engines at 1500 I am close to max torque and efficiency.

Have been running this way for 8 eyars without any issues, mechanics think that by loading up the engine near max torque, they warm up to a proper operating temp.

These engines are common on the Canadian prairies, used in combines, swathers, loaders and other farm machinery, take a lot of abuse and continue to be reliable.
The other boys on here with 34' Cali's can tell you better, but if I remember this discussion from an earlier thread, the props should*be 20 X 20's or 21's.* And the manual I have for the 6.354 NA's, says they should spin up to 2800 RPM at WOT.* I cruise around 2200- 2400 rpm.* My engine temp won't go above 140 F until you get above 1500 rpm.

Same here in the states, you find them in farm implements, tractors, fork lifts and generators.

The most difficult replacement part to find is the exhaust manifolds.* Not available from Perkins, of course and Barr only makes the turbo model, so hand MESA Marine your $2,000 each and smile.* It's probably a once in a lifetime purchase.

Larry B

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #22

I replaced my mainfolrds about 8 years ago and converted to fresh water cooled. Engine room temp spiked but I installed 2 radiator fans from a Pontiac Firefly, one in, one out using the existing vent ports. Engine room temp stays at about 10 C above ambient outside temp.

Manifolds available frojm Thompson Foundry in Surrey BC

www.thompsonfoundry.com

They are better design than the original Perkins and were ??? reasonable at $700 Cdn each.

GeoCr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #23

I am burning 1 gallon ( Imperial) per hour per engine ( 2 total)
Old 06-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #24

Rudder enlargements

I finally did it. I removed the standard Californian rounded rudders, had magnesium bronze additions cast and then welded to the originals.
Increased rudder size by about 40%.
If I can figure our how to post pictures, I will add them.
Initial results are remarkable to say the least. Tighter turning radius, less wander under power.
With rudders midships, the boat seems the respond much quicker and accurately when forward on one and reverse on the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	11634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	11635  
Old 06-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #25

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
My perkins 4-154 has the starboard side Manifold off of a 302 ford motor the bolt pattern was the same and it worked like a champ. Odd one of the old salts from Swansboro NC gave me the tip.
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #26

Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
If it would work on a twin will it better a single ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoCr View Post
I finally did it. I removed the standard Californian rounded rudders, had magnesium bronze additions cast and then welded to the originals.
If I can figure our how to post pictures, I will add them.
Initial results are remarkable to say the least. Tighter turning radius, less wander under power.
With rudders midships, the boat seems the respond much quicker and accurately when forward on one and reverse on the other.
Ok i have a single screw trawler, I thought about adding some size to the original rudder, Would it be worth the time, It is stainless steel and i can add to the rear also to the front toward the screw ? any input anyone has would be great.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
Ok i have a single screw trawler, I thought about adding some size to the original rudder, Would it be worth the time, It is stainless steel and i can add to the rear also to the front toward the screw ? any input anyone has would be great.
Worked for us on a single engine 34ft semi displacement boat (Masters 34, designed by Clem Masters ( aka"the Master"), built in Oz, great sea boat, better than our IG36). The rudder, a shapeless flat plate, looked like a non original replacement; shipwrights advised remaking it by adding shape in wood and fibreglass to the existing plate, turning performance improved enormously.The part forward before the rudder shaft is called a "balance", it should have some rounded shape at the leading edge.
"Size isn`t everything,shape matters too".
Make sure with any changes the rudder still clears the prop at full lock. Can`t provide pics,sold the boat several years ago.BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #28

Thanks BruceK i was able to read and understand rudder balance. I grew up around go fast sport fishing boats most with rear set rudders with no balance, But reading it understanding and looking at the photos of mine i think i will add no more balance but a slight change in the shape and add 2 inches to the rear. I am still on the learning curve from 30 knots and 1200 hp to 10 knots and 75HP.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Looks like a good idea. Make sure to warn the crew to hold on when you make a sharp turn.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Hi George

How did you make out on your rudder size increase project? I have an 84 Californian 34 and am interested in doing the same job.

THanks
Roger
Victoria BC

Quote:
Hi all, am a new member and I am working on enlarging the original rounded rudders. My research indicated that the rudders were the same no matter what the power was and were designed for maximum hull speed +/- 20 kts.
I am making a pattern for a square extension, having some casting of magnesium bronze made, and then welded on to the original rudders.
If it works as I hope, I will then do the 2 spare rudders I have the same way and perhaps make them available to other Californian owners.
My boat is a 79, hull #73, based in Ladysmith BC
Perkins 6354, natural 130 hp. Cruising at 7 kt. fuel burn of 2 gph for both and I am very happy with that especially when compared to other trawlers of similar size.
George Creek
Ladysmith BC
Mappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #31

Roger,
The project was a complete success and I am very pleased with the results.
The tracking is better, less wander, Turning radius greatly reduced, handling in close quarters more positive and less swing while anchored.
Since you are in Victoria, give me a call 250-722-7245 and we can talk about how I did it.
Geo
Old 05-09-2015, 12:01 AM   #32

City: Gautier MS
Vessel Name: Daddy's Money
Vessel Model: 1981 34' Californian Sedan
rudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chc View Post
Two years ago we hit a submerged log hard enough to bend props & rudders a bit. The starboard rudder box*now leaks with some enthusiasm, particularly when being worked hard; ie running with following seas. I pulled the rudder out of the boat the other day for inspection, and repair. It is bent, & the shaft is grooved somewhat. Packing for the last few years has been Gore-tex. There is also noticeable wobble in the shaft/rudder assembly as it goes thru the collar(s) and box. Possible some out-of-shape issues there. Sorry to ramble; but my real question concerns the rudder size & shape. Would it make sense to consider changing the rudder shape to one of a squarer profile? Perhaps adding an inch or so to the trailing edge? The yard owner suggested it. Primarily for better low speed control & less work/more control*in following seas. It is an interesting thought. I'm not sure about the engineering involved as far as shaft (1") stress, etc goes, so I thought I'd see what* sort of opinion other 34 owners might have.

Thanks
hey buddy, the rudder size on my 34 is, well, way too small. Mine are rect. Too. The utility boats we used to run were hugh, but with our almost flat bottom in the back, I think we would keep bigger ones torn off.

cloy is offline   Reply With Quote