Old 01-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #1

City: Naukati Bay, AK
Californian 30' LRC

I recently purchased my 1978 Californian 30' LRC. While researching this vessel I found it very hard to find information about it. I only found one picture on the internet of another 30LRC. Does anyone have any more info on them?

AlaskaJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:37 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
A-Josh, first of all, Welcome to TF! You found one of the few tabernacles of Californian Trawler info. If you use the search link at the bottom of my post, you'll find several 30 LRC threads.

You have a rare model and one that I've often thought "just might" be trailerable with the proper permits. It's the smaller sibling of my 34 LRC and captures much of the same qualities...fishable, stout, efficient, comfortable and good looking! What more can you ask for?

Post up some pics here so we can see your new pride and joy. Welcome to the Club!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:32 PM   #3

30 lrc

Thank you for the reply. I tried to attach a picture still new to this. I will try to get more pics on here. It has a few things most don't as it has been an Alaska guide boat for twenty years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	60432  
Old 04-01-2017, 01:52 AM   #4

City: Long Beach, CA
Hi. I posted there as a tag-on, but not sure it will find you. Here's what I said.

I’ve had a California 30 LRC with a fly bridge for 10 years. It’s a 1979 with a Perkins 6-354 turbo and her hull number is 17. She spent her first few years in San Francisco and was located in the Dana Point Marina when we found each other. She is named Trawler Trash and divides her time her time between Alamitos Bay (Long Beach Marina) and Cat Harbor (Catalina). So far, we’ve put on about 5,000 miles under her hull.

About 9 years ago, I contacted Mr. Marshall to ask the same question. Off the top, he thought there were about twenty 30’ LRCs made at the Santa Ana plant, which is about 15 miles from where she is now. I do periodic searches to keep an eye on others in the news/on the market and suspect there may be a few more than 20 (perhaps a few by Wellcraft? I haven’t seen anything definitive as to if or how many 30’s Wellcraft produced.).

These are rare boats and scattered about. Two years before I bought mine, I had seen one listed in Marina Del Rey and went to look at her knowing an offer was pending. I knew right away this would be the boat of my retirement (AKA - last boat), which is fine by me as she meets all my needs. I’ve been boating in Southern California all my life and for me, she’s a perfect fit.

There is another 30’ in Alamitos Bay (Bahia Marina) and a few years ago owners removed the fly bridge to get under a Pacific Coast Hwy bridge. Last I checked there’s one for sale in San Diego. I’ve also come across info. about one in Hawaii, a few in Florida, Oregon, Washington, Europe and one in the US was bought and shipped to Australia. In the Monterey area there’s even one with twin engines, but that’s the only one I’ve seen so far.

Right now, Trawler Trash is in the shipyard getting new bottom paint. In the next 6 months to a year I suspect she’ll get a new port fuel tank. Rains were hard this winter and leaks, the source I’ve yet to find, damaged interior paneling above the starboard window.

If you or others have questions about the Californian 30’, please let me know. Deke
Lighthd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
TF Site Team

Welcome, Lighthd and thanks for the great info on the 30 LRC. Got some pics of Trawler Trash? (Love the name!)

Is your Perkins the 200 hp version? What cruise and WOT speeds do you experience?

I've seen a 30 LRC without the FB for sale on YW...Portland, I think. Good looking boat, but the FB looks even better to me.

Have you ever trailered your boat?

I sure wish we could get Gil Marshall would join TF to share info on the Californians. I bet he's got some great background on the boats.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #6
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Welcome aboard guys.

Any additional information you have on the Californians, would help fill in the gaps in the Californian story.

Note the Californian Owners Manual in the sticky notes tabs (above). It's titled 42' Californian, but actually contains information on the other models too. I think there are some references and drawings pertinent to the 30' boats as well.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #7

City: Chesapeake Bay,Middle River,Md.
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Interesting looking stern/platform area rig. What's the hp of engine? I could use something akid to that in Chesapeake Bay for striper trolling,get slow enough with Perkins.
David Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
TF Site Team

How slow do you striper troll on the Chesapeake, David? In the CA Delta we troll shallow divers Yozuris (5-8 ft) at 4-5 mph and deep divers (12-15 ft) at 2.5-3 mph. I used to do it a lot in my 19 Searay and had a blast!

I've tried trawler trolling for stripers but in the Delta I become the boat driver only, not the angler. I won't even try shallow trolling in the narrow confines of our rivers and sloughs with my 34 LRC. And during peak season, the trolling lanes are filled with weekend boaters, so it's not a lot of fun.

I can see bay trolling though...if the boat will slow down enough. On one Perkins 4.236 engine, I think I can get it down to 3.5-4 mph without dragging a chute or trolling valves.

In the meantime, I'll suffer through slipper fishing at anchor for sturgeon.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:19 AM   #9

City: Long Beach, CA
Re: 30' Californian. Ahoy FlyWright. Thanks. I'll send a photo when I can. She has a bimini top and radar arch, which I haven't seen before.

My Perkins is 185 hp with turbo. When I got Trawler Trash her tach and temp gauges were working (now not), but I didn’t trust their accuracy. So, I use digital laser units.

I don’t recall my WOT RPM off the top (maybe 2,900), but I can tell you that my first time of the shipyard with a new bottom, smooth ocean, Ĺ filled tanks, and before I loaded her up with redundant parts for redundant parts, she got up to 17k gps at WOT. Now, 14k is about max. She’s in the yard now and I’ll see what she can do very soon.

For my first few years I played with speed vs. fuel. I’d typically cruise from Long Beach to Catalina at 8.5k to 9k. Now, I’m really happy going slower (7.5k) and fuel savings are considerable. The other advantage is more time cruising.

One of these days, I’ll need to replace my port fuel tank….not looking forward to that.

I’ve never trailered this boat as it might present a challenge for my Mini Cooper.

Deke
Lighthd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthd View Post
Hi. I posted there as a tag-on, but not sure it will find you. Here's what I said.

Iíve had a California 30 LRC with a fly bridge for 10 years. Itís a 1979 with a Perkins 6-354 turbo and her hull number is 17. She spent her first few years in San Francisco and was located in the Dana Point Marina when we found each other. She is named Trawler Trash and divides her time her time between Alamitos Bay (Long Beach Marina) and Cat Harbor (Catalina). So far, weíve put on about 5,000 miles under her hull.

About 9 years ago, I contacted Mr. Marshall to ask the same question. Off the top, he thought there were about twenty 30í LRCs made at the Santa Ana plant, which is about 15 miles from where she is now. I do periodic searches to keep an eye on others in the news/on the market and suspect there may be a few more than 20 (perhaps a few by Wellcraft? I havenít seen anything definitive as to if or how many 30ís Wellcraft produced.).

These are rare boats and scattered about. Two years before I bought mine, I had seen one listed in Marina Del Rey and went to look at her knowing an offer was pending. I knew right away this would be the boat of my retirement (AKA - last boat), which is fine by me as she meets all my needs. Iíve been boating in Southern California all my life and for me, sheís a perfect fit.

There is another 30í in Alamitos Bay (Bahia Marina) and a few years ago owners removed the fly bridge to get under a Pacific Coast Hwy bridge. Last I checked thereís one for sale in San Diego. Iíve also come across info. about one in Hawaii, a few in Florida, Oregon, Washington, Europe and one in the US was bought and shipped to Australia. In the Monterey area thereís even one with twin engines, but thatís the only one Iíve seen so far.

Right now, Trawler Trash is in the shipyard getting new bottom paint. In the next 6 months to a year I suspect sheíll get a new port fuel tank. Rains were hard this winter and leaks, the source Iíve yet to find, damaged interior paneling above the starboard window.

If you or others have questions about the Californian 30í, please let me know. Deke

Thank you for the information. I hope to see a pic of your trawler. I posted a few of mine. Have a great day.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJosh View Post
Thank you for the information. I hope to see a pic of your trawler. I posted a few of mine. Have a great day.

A few thoughts about your reply. The leak above the windows on the starboard side is that near the helm or down below? There is a hand rail on some used to get around the sides that if pulled to hard can let water in. As for the fuel tank look into military grade bladders. The previous owner of mine installed 180 gals of bladder storage. Most leaks are simple calk fixes.
Josh