California 34 Hull mounted engineroom vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amelia Rose

Vessel Name
Amelia Rose
Vessel Make
California 34
I just purchased a 1980 34 and all the engine room vents are cracked and have fallen apart. Does anyone have a lead on where these can be purchased? Thanks

Congrats AR!! I have a 1977 model and have the SS vents like shown below. One of mine was missing a vane when I bought the boat. I found a replacement at West Marine that almost fit in without trimming! Nothing a little multi-tool couldn't correct in about a minute. I'm sure there are other sources available. Measure your vents then search via google. No doubt you can beat the WM prices and get it delivered to your door.

img_345237_0_143ac73f041ae34d609d8605c490a3e1.jpg

Replaced all of our '84 Californian 34's ER vents thru Defender marine. Units are made by SeaDog. As I recall, units fit fairly well w/o much, if any, trimming.

Most of these style vents are a "knock off" of the original. I believe DetMar started them off in the 70's then Attwood, Whitecap, Seadog, T & H zn several others trying to win the OEM market jumped in with their version.
As mentioned, shop a little, biggest problem should be which brand to buy from who.

:ermm:

The stainless ventilators seem to be problematic for rusting over the long term. I replaced my two lower 5 louver vents with White ABS plastic vents for $7.00 a piece. You also have the option of installing a collector box insert into the opening with the vent on top that helps direct water entering the vent back out. If I recall the collector boxes were only available for the ABS vents. The ABS are slightly larger than the Stainless by about a 1/4" and required opening the hole slightly.

Back
Top Bottom