Old 06-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #1

City: Grand Rivers, KY
Vessel Name: Bare Necessities II
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' ACMY
89 carver Californian 48 water leak

I have a real head scratcher. I have water that accumulates in front of my auxiliary fuel tank in the aft stateroom. It is visible through the tv closet. I have isolated all pressurized lines and see no evidence of a leak. We have removed part of the floor to make sure the waste tank wasnít leaking and found nothing. I am out of places to look and was hoping someone else has a suggestion. It is not fuel from the aux tank. Thank you for any suggestions!
Charlie

Bare Necessities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I was going to suggest you taste it to see if is fresh or salt water, but I see you are in Kentucky. Perhaps condensate from an AC?

drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr./Ms. BN. Not familiar with the vessel BUT if the area is above the water line, first guess for the source is deck or windows/ports. IF the area is below the waterline, does the eventual level in the area reach to the waterline if left long enough?

Edit: Mr. 1025. My first thought as well. I suspect the only salt water in KY is in/on the....

Old 06-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: gulf coast
rudder shaft packing
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #5

I checked ac condensation and have it plumped to a sump. I inspected the rudder shaft, and no evidence of water there. It has an Oder but doesn’t appear to be waste and we have checked all of those lines. I appreciate your guesses and encourage you to keep them coming.
Charlie
Old 06-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #6

If any of you know a Carver Californian expert, I’d love to pick their Brain. This has been a long process and all the usual suspects have been checked and ruled out. I look forward to any info one of you might have.
Thank you
Charlie
Old 06-19-2018, 06:18 AM   #7
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Not familiar with the vessel BUT if the area is above the water line, first guess for the source is deck or windows/ports.

If it might be rain water, one way to diagnose is to first dry the area... then flood various areas on the outside of the boat (one at a time) with dock water through a garden hose.

Could be a window/port seal... We had a leak at our deck-to-hull joint. Some folks have (temporarily?) fixed things like that by simply recaulking their rubrail (that worked for us in one area, several years ago), but for a more recent leak I went further and pulled the rubrail off, resealed the deck to hull, then replaced and recaulked the rubrail.

-Chris
Old 06-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #8

Thank you for the input. I failed to mention that I am in a 70 foot covered slip that is covered several hundred feet on each side. The area is below the waterline with no evidence of water coming from the exterior.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #9
Guru

have someone move the rudders while you check. Run the engines and look for leaks at the exhaust pipes. Transom zinc or swim platform mounts?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #10

I will try your suggestions. Thank you all for your time and input!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #11

Smile water leak

I have received some wonderful suggestions of possible problem areas, unfortunately, I have been dealing with this since I bought the boat 3 years ago and over time I have eliminated one by one what I could. The rudder shafts are visible under my aft bed and they are dry. In fact, I wish they were the problem. There is an aft sump pump sitting there between them and it is dry. For some reason, forward of the aft fuel tank located under the aft bed, there is a small area that accumulates water, but it cannot get to the rear aft sump pump until it gets pretty deep. It looks like this fuel tank is encased with a fiberglass tub a little larger than the tank, I assume in case it were to leak it would catch the fuel. When this water accumulates and sits there very long it takes on an awful smell. I use a drill operated pump to keep it pumped out to eliminate the odor but of course I want to eliminate the source. I am thinking I have a very slow fresh water line leak under the floor where you cannot see. There is only about a 4'-5' area that I can't see under the floor and I have been considering purchasing an inspection camera like the Milwaukee M12 or similar. Thanks for all of the help. It reassures me that I have been looking in all of the right places.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #12
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare Necessities View Post
Thank you for the input. I failed to mention that I am in a 70 foot covered slip that is covered several hundred feet on each side. The area is below the waterline with no evidence of water coming from the exterior.

Got it, but below the waterline is often just where water pools; doesn't always have to do with where the water entered. Another way in is while underway, through rubrails or vents and so forth... and that may eventually end up anywhere in your bilges...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare Necessities View Post
I am thinking I have a very slow fresh water line leak under the floor where you cannot see. There is only about a 4'-5' area that I can't see under the floor and I have been considering purchasing an inspection camera like the Milwaukee M12 or similar. Thanks for all of the help. It reassures me that I have been looking in all of the right places.
Does your water pump cycle on and off, even when a tap's not open? That'd maybe tend to substantiate the fresh water leak idea.

I have the M12, works OK. A snapshot capability would have been useful...

-Chris
Old 06-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Aft shower drain sump leaking?
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #14

Water leak

Thanks again for another good suggestion. I have already eliminated it. I can visually inspect part of that line but I poured blue colored water down the drain and it didnít show up in the boat. The shower pump pumped it out as it should. We have not been using that shower just to further eliminate it. I think my next move is to get an inspection camera and try to see under the floor in places that I canít inspect. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #15
Guru

Yes an overflowing shower sump may cause that. That area of the bilge is lower than further aft so it might be worth installing an inspection port over the area so a shop vac can pull out any water.

Tags
californian, carver, leak, water