'83 Californian 42 LRC fuel tank removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Pacific Myst
Vessel Make
West Bay 4500
Will the fuel tanks come straight up through the berth framing & finish work or will I be in for tearing those apart to get the tanks out?

I may be in for fuel tank removal. On a new to me 42 LRC during replacement of the PSS seals it was found the starboard prop shaft is binding, the tech required a pipe wrench to turn it. Closer inspection shows a minor bend to the aft strut. Surveyor found the bonding system is terrible shape. To correct both of these issues requires a near impossible reach to the strut fastener nuts.

The forward struts need only one nut removed and reinstalled to correct bonding problems. Maybe a long armed, skinny tech wiggling through a newly enlarged inspection hatch forward of the berth MIGHT be able to pull the job off.

The aft strut's forward most fasteners are very likely beyond anyone's reach.

I don't want to pull the tanks, but I may have to......

If you have to pull the tanks are you going to replace them with new tanks? What are yours made out of?

The tanks are made of mild steel. Unlike many designs the Californian LRC tanks are not subject to deck leaks or filler fitting leaks. Chances are they are in excellent shape. A visual of the exterior will be simple. If no water is found in the tanks when drained, there is none currently present in the Racor bowls, I will assume no wastage on the inside. If it all looks good they will go back in.

When you have them out if they don’t have cleanout ports, I would add them and then you will be able to inspect the insides easily.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom