Old 01-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #21

City: Nassau Bay, TX
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: 34 LRC
Thanks, guys. It's a slooooow process bringing her back to life. The access plug is to check/fill the coolant on the starboard engine without having to pull the entire access door up. There's also a plug in the floor of the middle storage compartment, under the settee for the port engine. Some previous owner apparently made the "modification." Pretty handy.

For the table, I've got a Garelick quick release pedestal. Flip two tabs and twist to lock/unlock it. I put a base out in the transom as well. Takes about two minutes to set up for 'al fresco' dining. You can see it a bit in the first photo (with the carpet still in) and here's a shot of it on the transom...

Bren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0412.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	26513  

bren737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
That looks great, Bren. I did almost the same thing in the cockpit.

I bought the boat with this original drop leaf table, but the settee had been deepened by the PO and the only way to get in or out was fwd near the helm.

I made 2 22" rounds with the local nautical charts under resin and changed out the mounts to flush mounts so I wouldn't keep tripping on them.

I added the cockpit mount exactly where you did and use one table in the cockpit.

It gives us greater flexibility and allows for more salon room when guests are aboard.

My lazarette hatch didn't come with hinges, so I added a set like you have. That has also made a huge difference since I need access to the laz every time we're out.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #23
Sam

City: Kalama, WA
Vessel Name: "Restitution"
Vessel Model: 38' Californian
That looks beautiful 737!
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #24
Sam

I like Bren's floor. It sure does "pop". As for the "floating floor" it is a non issue. It doesn't move, even if you tried. I thought about making the framing flush, as I didn't want any tripping hazard. I couldn't figure out how to engineer the gaps so everyday dirt, crud, junk didn't get into the seams. Our framing does sticks up less than 3/16 of an inch and doesn't pose any issues. With oil on the framing, it contrasts with the floor very nicely. Bren, what is the cream colored seams?
Old 01-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #25

City: Nassau Bay, TX
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: 34 LRC
FlyWright: Looks great! Yes, the ability to dine out on the transom is fun; and so easy. The table itself I got from a buddy that had had it custom built for his sailboat but then changed his mind. I just mounted it on the quick-release set up.

Sam: By "seams" I take it you mean the trim around the hatches and access panels? That wood is Ash I got at a hardwood supplier here in Houston. Actually, it's where I got the Teak & Holly plywood for the rest of the floor. It was already milled in 8 ft lengths and a multitude of shapes.

Cheers,

Bren
bren737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #26
db2
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC; Viking 43 Double Cabin
Let me thank everybody for the great input. I just ordered Allure flooring for the entire boat. This is a vinyl plank flooring, about 1/8" thick. I'll post an update when I install it. To answer my own question, the teak and holly patches came out today. They are 3/8" ply and they were nailed and bonded to the plywood floor with what looks to be common polyester surfboard resin. With a little care it came up with little damage.
db2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:42 PM   #27

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: Ten Knots
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
The 42' LRC we just bought still has carpet in Salon. Not too bad a shape but it is carpet.

Before we rip it out, can someone that has made the switch from carpet to floating or faux board what engine noise difference you have noticed? Is it a lot louder without the carpet?

Thanks!

George+
frgeorgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:09 AM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. frg. A bit of thread creep here (apologies). As a new boat owner might I suggest you or ANY new owner wait a period of time (6 months possibly) before you make semi-major changes to your new-to-you vessel. Outlooks and observations do change after the initial "it's ours" enthusiasm.
OK, back to stunning floor makeovers...
Old 04-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #29
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Agree with RT. That's some of the best advice I got as a newbie, and from a boatyard owner no less who I was eager to throw money at. Surprising how budgetary priorities change after you live on and cruise it for awhile. A few bigger ticket items I thought I really wanted to do when i got the boat never got done in the almost 7 years of being on board. Not to say that some other projects didn't swoop in and spend that money eventually...

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #30

Agreed! It will take weeks to prioritize lists for items, getting things sorted by safety, need to have, want to have, etc.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #31
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. frg. "It will take weeks..." Hahahaha...Such a joker. The way I figure out these things is estimate how long a task will take in hours, triple it, convert to weeks and then double that.
Money is somewhat along the same lines in a lot of cases. $X2 or 3+ 200%+additional costs...Oh, and +tax.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #32

I hate math!!! LOL Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1428423232.290991.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	38977
Old 04-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #33
Sam

George,

You will not notice a sound difference. We put a floating wood floor in two years ago. Of course "quite mat" (1/8 foam) is laid between sub floor and floating floor which may help a wee bit. But overall, you will not notice a difference.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #34
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgeorgeh View Post
Agreed! It will take weeks to prioritize lists for items, getting things sorted by safety, need to have, want to have, etc.
We have had the boat for 9 months and I have given up trying to prioritize the list. Boat bucks are overwhelming the purse! I got to the point where even if it is old, if it works, I ain't replacing it.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
That looks great, Bren. I did almost the same thing in the cockpit.

I bought the boat with this original drop leaf table, but the settee had been deepened by the PO and the only way to get in or out was fwd near the helm.

I made 2 22" rounds with the local nautical charts under resin and changed out the mounts to flush mounts so I wouldn't keep tripping on them.

I added the cockpit mount exactly where you did and use one table in the cockpit.

It gives us greater flexibility and allows for more salon room when guests are aboard.

My lazarette hatch didn't come with hinges, so I added a set like you have. That has also made a huge difference since I need access to the laz every time we're out.

Those tables look great. Nice job!
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #36
Sam

How are the hinges on the lazarette mounted soundly? Nuts and backing board on underside or just wood screws?
Old 04-08-2015, 12:27 AM   #37
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
How are the hinges on the lazarette mounted soundly? Nuts and backing board on underside or just wood screws?
I used SS hardware through-bolted with large diameter washers, fiber lock nuts and 4200. It's a very solid and heavy hatch. I'll post some pics if I find any.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #38

City: Los Angeles
Vessel Name: Kaptain's Lady
Vessel Model: 34 Californian
Similar to Bren737, I replaced carpet with Teak/Holly. Living in California, not the same humidity issues - bought plywood sheets with Teak/holly laminated on surface. Might be a good option for replacing small sections.
4x8 sheets of teak/holly are readily available in the $300 range. One source is here: http://www.boulterplywood.com/MarinePlywood_4.htm

As a side note, forward area would have been too dark with teak/holly. Chose engineered bamboo flooring instead. Contrast between the bamboo deck and mahogany bulkheads is very cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005-02-13 004.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	39294   Click image for larger version

Name:	galley 7.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	39295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1203.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	39296  
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #39
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Wow! that does look sharp, fore and aft.

TG is offline   Reply With Quote