42' 1976 Californian LRC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edelweiss

Guru
Vessel Make
1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Attachments

• 42 1door californian.jpg
    42 1door californian.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 472
Nice boat, but what's interesting is. . . . There doesn't appear to be a port side door? :eek: Is this typical of 1976 42's or just another Californian oddity?

Hi guys, I have a 75ish maybe? 42LRC. No port side door for me either! Maybe the cheap version? lol

Andy

That's a lot of boat for $65K! Looks nice. Another 42 with the brightwork painted like Fr. George's 10 Knots.

Do those windows look original? Would the door have been where the fridge is located, just fwd of the aft tapered port side window?

5413237_20151012134752621_1_XLARGE.jpg

Here's my port side door!

Attachments

• DSCF0813.jpg
    DSCF0813.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 158
Hi guys, I have a 75ish maybe? 42LRC. No port side door for me either! Maybe the cheap version? lol
Andy

Aww. . Maybe it was an option in '76. I sent the broker an email and asked for the hull number. Let's see if it helps you with your dilemma.

That's a lot of boat for $65K! Looks nice. Another 42 with the brightwork painted like Fr. George's 10 Knots.

Do those windows look original? Would the door have been where the fridge is located, just fwd of the aft tapered port side window?

Yup, if they have a door on port side it's the triangle window where the diesel heater is located.

Sure enough painted "All" the bright work. Can't say I'm a fan of that. Looks like the salon cork ceiling, kitchen counter and back splash were all replaced. The carpeted floor was also replaced with a wood product. The rest of the boat looks very original.

I noticed that detail about with 76s during our search as well. The positive is...one less door to rebuild and maintain.:)
Andy, nice to see a pic of your boat. Looks like you did well.

Last edited:
Having both starboard and port pilothouse doors is most handy for us slow, older folk.

I boarded this boat with the broker for a preview. Though I did not proceed to survey and sea trial, I do agree it seems like a lot of boat for that kind of money. I got the impression that the current owner is a boat flipper, but not at all sure that matters for anything.
I could not convince myself that this was my cup of tea but sure think it is worth a look for those for whom it could be. Some pretty nice recent cosmetic updates.

Bill, was this the one that was in a boathouse?

Al,
Yes it was. I was irrationally spooked by that and the fact that the flipper had bought it for some price, done some cosmetic work, and then was selling it for this price. It felt like the main cabin floor sloped a little aft and the trunk cabin deck sloped forward implying a chance that water would pool against that wall. Could not see evidence of moisture in the poor light but felt like there was a very good chance that a survey would indicate some. Again, I based that on virtually nothing. I think there is an equal chance that this is the deal of the century. The prior survey that I had a look at was real superficial and provided no comfort. I had just been thru a nightmare survey in terms of saturated fiberglass and did not want to experience another.

Overall, a great looking boat. I think I might get tired of squeezing past the helm station bench, especially if under way. Very pretty. Mine has the port-side door.

Cheers, Bill

That single door would make me a little nervous, for safety reasons... That port side door is wide and clear and the perfect emergency escape.

I just bought this boat in Portland. I purchased it from the guy that bought it from that ad. We are very happy with it.

Congratulations and welcome to the Forum! Maybe start a new thread and tell us the story in then Welcome Mat forum?

I just bought this boat in Portland. I purchased it from the guy that bought it from that ad. We are very happy with it.

Welcome aboard. We almost bought one back in 2001 but the owner was nuts so we passed on it. Nice boat.

Californians are great Southern California made boats. We have one and spend a lot of time in Catalina on it. Ours is a 79 42 LRC w 3208na Cats. Ours has doors on both sides.

Back
Top Bottom