38' Remodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlamb15

Veteran Member
Ok we are looking at remodeling our 1980 38' Sedan....has anyone
1. removed the upper bench seat directly in front of the helm on the flybridge?
2. teak and holly floor in the interior?
3. painted the vessel themselves?
4. added a 150gallons of fuel to the centerline?(just a thought)

we would really like to see anyones Californian that has some work done. we live in SF/Bay area, but love to take trips to go look at boats...
James

I don't have a Californian but a Marine Trader. But I can answer yes to questions 1, 2 and 3. I can post pictures if you're interested or answer any question you may have.

Would love to see pics, we are going with the teak and holly laminate floor I think.......

Hi I'm interested in a Californian 38LRC, it needs lots of work (DECKS),gunwales, cabin framework has rot too. The original perkins (1 was replaced)is smoking too. The price is low but ,I'm not too sure about the rest and need to see it out of the water to check the shafts and the hull. Living where you do I'm sure you haven't seen this type of issue .Have you heard of any similar rot stories and what the headaches were replacing the decks?

RUN quickly the other way! Unless you have a lot of experience, time and money! If you like "projects and have the time, go for it. Just make sure you if you have more money in it than it is worth, your ok with that.

RUN quickly the other way! Unless you have a lot of experience, time and money! If you like "projects and have the time, go for it. Just make sure you if you have more money in it than it is worth, your ok with that.
:iagree:

Driller66, I agree...run the other way. There are enough good boats out there today for a great price. I wouldn't bother with a potential money and labor pit boat. Sounds like this boat has been terribly neglected. I wouldn't let it become my problem.

38 californian

i saw another too, asking 35K in Seattle or nearby.Many thanks for your input folks, keep it coming !! I'll get a boat under my butt yet!! I'm going to look at a 48 ft Monk Mcqueen for 28k . This weekend, any thoughts?

i saw another too, asking 35K in Seattle or nearby.Many thanks for your input folks, keep it coming !! I'll get a boat under my butt yet!! I'm going to look at a 48 ft Monk Mcqueen for 28k . This weekend, any thoughts?

My first thought is "You get what you pay for". A 48 for this price is likely junk or a "fixer upper" at best. As previously mentioned you may sink a ton of money into one of these to the point you will have more in it than it is worth and a lot of stress and aggravation along the way. My opinion only, I have been there and ended up selling the boat for far less than I had in it. Not good. My opinion only.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom