38 Californian AFt Cabin - 1983 or 84

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Artie

Hello All. New to this forum. I have an opportunity to buy a 1984 Aft cabin Californian. It does have the Wellcraft logo, and appears to be a 1984 from the HIN number. Anything in particular to watch out for? Any comments or suggestions? Thanks for any responses. Artie

38 Cali's are a great boat and tough solid glass hull. Do you have a picture? What engines.

I think Wellcraft did away with Wood frame windows. But in earlier model 38's was a real problem on the aftcabins. The rear cabin windows on mine are nine feet long and developed leaks. The windows, were a constant maintenance problem trying to keep them water tight until I replaced them. It cost around $1000 to replace them both with aluminum windows.

Given the overall cost of boating. . . not a big deal. Just have to replace them before the interior paneling is damaged.

Larry B

Last edited:
The 38 Californian aft cabin is a very nice boat. For her size, both staterooms are HUGE and especially so the guest/forward stateroom- it is ridiculously massive! Not to mention both staterooms having full heads with separate shower and closing door in both. Most boats this size would have a wet head in the guest stateroom. The main salon is a little small for her size but very comfortable. And even better- engine room access is just awesome for this size boat. At 83/84 you won't have wood windows to deal with. I know this model pretty well and I don't know of any inherent issues with it.

Hi Artie,

I own a 1985 43' CPMY Californian which, is the same as the 38' with a 5' cockpit on the stern. I looked at a number of 43's and the common problem was condition of the 400 gallon fuel tank. It sits under the queen bed in the aft stateroom. Definitely have it inspected because if it needs replacing, it has to be cut apart before being removed and can only be replaced with two, 200 gallon tanks, side by side. Fortunately, the one in mine was replaced by a previous owner.

Under the side walk decks are tanks. Their usage varies from boat to boat. Mine has a 50 gallon (estimated) tank under each side deck and is used for additional water storage and connects to the fresh water system. I saw one boat where one was converted to store additional fuel.

Good luck, Karl

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom