34 LRC Updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baba Yaga

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Baba Yaga
Vessel Make
1979 Californian 34 LRC
Hi forum friends,

I thought I would give an update on my 34 LRC Baba Yaga.

Completed Project(s):

I pulled her on the hard and did a complete bottom job. 1 cutlass bearing replaced and a survey completed. I rerouted some wiring that went out a thru-hall in the stern and eliminated the swim step bait tank since this isn't my preferred placement for a tank.

I tracked down an issue with the generator and noticed it wasn't pushing any water out when running. When I went down to inspect the generator I noticed the belt for the pump was missing. I located the old one on the port side and torn (I suspected a failure to make this happen). After spinning the pump without the belt I noticed it felt a bit rough but turned. I replaced the belt and still no water was coming out during running. I pulled the pump and took apart. The impeller was completely shot so I located a replacement and reinstalled. Pumps water now just fine ;)

Current project(s):

Currently, refinishing the teak railings and cap rail on the outside of boat since it has completely failed in several places. During sanding I have noticed areas of thick application and thin application. I decided the best option for me was to sand it all the way down and start with the coating process from a clean unfinished base. I'm using Epifanes clear high gloss and will sand between coats. I'm thinking maybe 4-5 total coats.

Ongoing, I have noticed a transmission leak on the starboard side :banghead: It was enough to keep the transmission from engaging into gear until it was filled. This is set to be a winter project, so if there are any tips for fixing I'm all ears. I do have two complete transmissions in my possession but thinking it is only a failed seal issue.

Ongoing, addressing the seating situation up top, as it is not my preferred style. I'm still trying to work through options and ideas.

Lastly, I plan on building in a new sette since the original one was removed and replaced with a kind of couch like thing. My hope is to build something that still allows me to open up the flooring as much as possible. I would also like to build in storage solutions.

Thanks for reading.

Happy boating and be safe!

Which make/model transmission, and can you tell where the leak is coming from?

Which make/model transmission, and can you tell where the leak is coming from?

I believe they are Borg Warner Velvet Drives. I have not fully searched, output shaft had a drip on it when I glanced.

I have 2 Velvet Drives and both have leaked at an O-ring on the shifter at the end the cable attaches to. It's a fairly simple fix but a little scary to take apart the first time. A leak from there is pretty obvious as it's a high point on the tranny and leaves a clear trail down from the shifter arm. I have pictures of the last replacement I did if you're interested.

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun working on your baby. However, remember we need photos...

I have 2 Velvet Drives and both have leaked at an O-ring on the shifter at the end the cable attaches to. It's a fairly simple fix but a little scary to take apart the first time. A leak from there is pretty obvious as it's a high point on the tranny and leaves a clear trail down from the shifter arm. I have pictures of the last replacement I did if you're interested.

Photo's would be great, thanks for the info. I plan on going to her tomorrow and really looking around at things.

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun working on your baby. However, remember we need photos...

You're right, nothing worse than no pics :)

1.jpg
getting ready to go up
2.jpg
up
3.jpg
up
4.jpg
up
5.jpg
stut
6.jpg
genset
8.jpg
pump and impeller replacement

I also forgot to mention I refurbished my fresh water flush out system since the hosing used for it had a major failure and delaminated the inner hose from outer hose. I replaced all the hosing in the system with a heat rated hose and replaced all of the zip-ties holding the hose with properly mounted and insulated hose clamps. I didn't take pictures of this project.

My fresh water connector is located on the starboard side below the electrical fitting for dock power. The hose runs down between the shower stall and cabinet for the kitchen (I don't have a lower helm station). Once it enters the engine room it T's off to each engine and is operated by an independent valve at each engine. I love the opportunity to flush my systems with fresh water but felt the hose choice (clear and checkered water hose we have all seen in heads and kitchens) in the engine room could have been better. Luckily, I noticed the pineapple sized hose when transferring engines during flushing and shut it all down. If not noticed and failed during operation there would have been a lot of water down there, I'll take luck any day of the week! It reminded me of the old cartoon where the hose develops a huge bubble while some carton character is using a hose.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom