Old 05-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
34 LRC Motor Lifting Davit and Transom Mount

I've been pondering how to best handle my new-to-me 15 Merc 2-stroke OB that weighs in at 77 lbs/35kgs. I need to be able to transfer it easily and safely to and from the dink, so I've decided to install a Garhauer motor lifting davit in the cockpit of my Californian 34 LRC. The davit can be folded and stored in the lazarette when not in use. I will also install a fixed motor mount to store the OB on the transom during cruising season when it gets the lion's share of use.

My plan is to attach the fixed motor mount to the upper port transom corner, above the scupper shown in the pic below. There's a flip-to-open transom rail gate at the port corner of the transom, but the mount will not interfere with boardings. The rail gate can be opened to provide more clearance during the transfer of the motor to or from the cockpit.

The davit will mount in the cockpit at the vertical rail shown behind the net loop to the left of the F in FlyWright, just to stbd of the rail gate hinge. The 34 inch boom is just right from this location to pull the motor from the dink and place it on the mount. When the boom is moved to stbd, close to centerline, it will align well to assist in pulling the dink (or mermaids) aboard the swimstep.

Before I drill the first hole, I thought I'd seek the counsel of other 34 LRC owners who have traveled this road before me. It appears to me that the transom is solid FRP with no coring. CHC, didn't you drill yours for a mount? What does it look like in there?

Any and all words of advice and wisdom appreciated before I drill the first hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlyWrightnet.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	64935  

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Just a thought on whether the transom is solid FRP. I wonder if you could pass a "stud finder" across the area to gain a bit of confidence that it is, in fact, solid???

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
TF Site Team

I think the FRP is too thick for the sensitivity of my cheap 9V stud finder...plus it only shows variances in density. It it's solid throughout or cored throughout, mine wouldn't show the difference. Maybe I need gelcoat penetrating radar or a boat MRI for a full picture of the inside of my transom.

Now that I think more about it, IIRC, CHC had installed an inspection plate on the inside of the transom to access his mounting hardware. I believe there was a very little airspace between the layers of transom layup and cap/inside cockpit layup. If that's the case, I'd thru-drill to the cockpit with a backing plate or fender washers.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
I had to add an inspection port when I installed
my davits . The one with the hose bib was already there . I had about a 3" gap between main hull and liner . I put a 1/8 thick stainless steel backing plate on each side .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2933.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	64942  
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Al;
Sorry, I was away from the computer. I've got pics on my phone, & will try to figure out how to get them in here. Space between the inside of the transom, & the inner transom is about 1.75 inches +/-. I drilled & installed 6 bolts w/fender washers as backing plates. If I had to do it again, I might go for a bigger backing plate assembly; more like a one piece plate. My Tohatsu 8 hp is about 80#; I can see a tiny bit of flex if I wiggle the mount & motor. Less than I had before, but still there. A solid plate would work, but might be interesting to get into the 6" inspection plate hole. Top to bottom space is somewhat limited; hence my use of the fender washers.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:37 PM   #6
TF Site Team

Thanks for texting those pics, Chris. They helped a lot.

I got the davit Mon eve and it was installed by dinner time on Tues. Also got the motor mount from Bligh installed. They work together like a charm.

I drilled straight through the transom hull and liner. There was a small airspace between them, but not much at all....maybe 1/2 inch. I plan to paint the fender washers and screw head white to disguise the mounting hardware a bit. I see no flexing when I shake the motor on the mount.

I'm very impressed with the price and quality of the Garhauer lifting davit. The geometry works very well for my boat. As you can see from the pics below, when the lifting davit is folded and stowed, all that remains permanently installed is the upper support ring and the mount ball which looks like a hitch ball.

I had hoped that the ball would be removable, leaving just the threaded female hole in the relatively flat mounting plate. Instead, they made it so the post is permanent in the mounting plate so when the ball is unscrewed, a threaded post remains protruding from the deck. I plan to modify this over time or ask they for a redesigned mount ball. I'd prefer to have just the mounting plate remaining when the ball (with threaded stud) is removed.

Soon I'll move the dink from the bow to the swimstep for cruising season. I'm confident the davit will make the dink loading process much easier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170613_171434.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	65766   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170613_194302.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	65767   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170613_205837.jpg
Views:	39