34 LRC Lower helm visibility at cruise??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fighterpilot

The 200 HP Perkins and the 210HP 3208 will drive the 34 LRC at 16 to 18 knots, at least that is what the specs say. I assume the boat is on some sort of plane at that speed. Can you pilot the boat from the lower helm at those speeds with reasonably visibility? Not worried about seeing logs in the water but would like to see buoys, boats, etc.

Visibility is excellent from the lower helm. *I do have trim tabs on mine and use them. *They do improve the view over the bow. * I see your asking questions in the general area too, but I'll add my 2 cents here. *This is strictly my opinion as I have not been aboard a Cat powered 34LRC, *Mine has Tw. 200 Perkins, *It will do about 20 mph (statute) at wot. *That is with full fuel and water tanks. *Cruise at about, 16 kts. *From what I have read, the 210hp V8 Cats are a little slower, but not much. They are a lot BIGGER physically than, and heavier than the 6 Cyl Perkins. *The extra weight is responsible for them being slightly slower. *Because of their width, they make the engine room tighter. *Particularly if you need to access the far side of the engines. *There is a common opinion that the Cats are a 'throw away' engine because they don't have cylinder liners. *That I think is unfair, they are very durable. *Parts for the Cat are far more available, and cheaper than the Perkins. *They don't have British threads,which are a PIA to find. *Non marine parts sre very available in the truck parts channels. *Perkins non marine parts can be found in the Massey Fergusson Tractor world, but not he heat exchanger parts.

You said you wanted two cabins for sleeping. *The mid cabin to port in the 34LRC is very tight for space. *And for that matter the v berth isn't too big either. *The 34 has a lot going for it, but sleep accomodations are not at the top of the list.

I didn't buy my boat for the engines, I bought it for the rest of the boat.

Capn Craig, appreciate your reply. Glad you added comment about the engines. Sort of my thoughts as well. Sort of a trade off on parts availability versus serviceability at the expense of weight and "work on them room." My delimna is not many for sale here in the southeast with the bigger engines so either a long wait or go after what is available. There is one of each, with the Perkins being $10,000 more in asking price, but boat is probably part of that difference since it has better electronics and has had some tanks replaced, etc.

Pilot,

Have you seen the 34LRC on ebay? *Asking price is $39900. *It been for sale for a long time. Price might be very negotiable. *I wouldn't worry about offending him with a low offer. *Located in Alabama. *Has twin low hour Cats, doesn't mention a genny, but I see one in the pictures. *Looks like my Westerbeke without studying it. * Other pictures look like it is pretty clean. *Incidently, I looked it before I typed this and I see the Ebay listing ends in 3 hours.*

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Econ...658488395QQptZPowerQ5fMotorboats#ht_500wt_950

superdiver wrote:
I sure wouldnt want to travel at that speed without being on the fly bridge...
*I don't. *I prefer 7~8 knots. *It is way less painful at the fuel dock. *On my home water, the Upper Mississippi, we all sorts of floating and almost floating crap you don't want run over. * I have seen whole BIG trees, railroad ties, oil drums, boat docks and once even a cabin float.

Its a bad place to be in high water, but wonderful when the water is down.

Capn Craig--I looked but didn't find it. Should have had a few minutes left. I looked in any boat, 28-40 feet, twin inboard. Couldn't find Californian as one of the named boats, but search should have brought it up. Alabama is driving distance for me--wish I could find it. Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom