Old 11-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #21
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
RE: 34 LRC Hull Construction??

The drains in my boat are 1/2" standard flush fitting drains; one positioned at each aft cabin corner, with the drain tube leading aft to the transom. My intent is to remove these & install larger; 3/4" drains with removeable screens would probably be suitable. I'm not yet convinced that the low spots are caused by sag; the appearance & feel are way too uniform. The drain installation looks pretty professional as well. No stress cracks, little, if any flex. The center of my cockpit is uniformly higher than either side, leading any water coming down the side decks, or collecting in the cockpit, to exit either thru the scuppers in the transom, or thru the cabin corner drains. I'll see if I can find the article relating to this issue.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:31 AM   #22

Chc, appreciate your observaions. Looking forward to the article you mentioned. Does the drain tube exit out at the transom, not into the bilge I assume.
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #23
chc

The drain tube runs aft, across the fuel tank, exiting thru the transom. I'm still looking for the article, w/o much success, I'm afraid. I'll keep digging, tho'. Still not convinced it is a sag issue, as I have vertical 2x4 bracing tied into 2x4 cross bracing under the aft cabin edge. I do show some sag in the area of the engine room access hatches in the salon floor. Not much support there; but not much room for vertical bracing either. I have Detroit 8.2's as power. I suspect they are as big, perhaps even a bit wider, than your Cats. 27 years of being walked on would probably get anything to sag a bit. As long as I don't see cracking & wobbling, or the furniture stays level, I'm not going to be terribly worried about the way they built these boats.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:49 AM   #24

Al, I did not really track how much I lifted things. *You could really see the counter tops in my boat saging to the center. *I just gave each jack equal turns until things looked good and I am guessing I lifted things an inch to an inch and a half. *This winter I will have the carpets out and I will tune things up with a strait edge. *Leon
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Quote:
Per wrote:
how are the drains done? any pics
Apologies for the mess, but here are some shots after a couple days of fishing this weekend.* * The pics of the aft salon corners show where the water collects.* If they were positioned inboard closer to the corners, they be more effective.

The aft cockpit corner drains*work well, but the aft scuppers are round and slightly raised above the deck floor, unlike others I've seen with square holes flush with the deck.*

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #26
chc

34 LRC Hull Construction??

FP;

I cannot find the article that I thought I had seen some time ago. I*remembered(imagined) that it was included in a review of the Californian 34 by a David Pascoe. Sorry it took so long. The only other mention of the alleged issue is to be found in the brochures posted on this forum by Capt. Craig. My strong feeling is that the supposed sag is really a camber built into the cockpit to enable better drainage of any water coming aboard and getting to the cockpit area. Hopefully the p[ic I am trying to attach will show the camber. My cockpit drains are the small circles close to the cabin's aft corners, as well as 2 4x5" (approx) rectangular scuppers in the corners of the transom. Same place Flywright's scupper drains are, just one large cutout in the transom instead. So far I have had no structural issues in the cockpit area at all.

Have a great Holiday season

[img]../../download.spark?ID=1043454&aBID=115492[/img]

-- Edited by chc on Wednesday 30th of November 2011 09:20:35 PM

-- Edited by chc on Wednesday 30th of November 2011 09:23:09 PM