Old 05-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
34 LRC Californian Questions

Well I have narrowed down my search to a few boats that I think would really work well for our small family. One of the boats on the short list is the Californian 34 LRC. I really like the two stateroom idea. Specially as the son grows he'll have his own area to hang out, read, do home work, etc. (No video games!)

Anyhow I'd like some feedback from some of you seasoned guys. First has anyone seen this boat in LA?

The Full Specifications

I am considering making an offer as I can pay cash and have a survey completed. By the sounds of it a survey is kind of a crap shoot as it is anyways. I am contemplating a purchase sight unseen. Just because distance prohibits me from seeing this in person. I know it's not the wisest but I wouldn't be paying 100k for it either.

The three boats so far that we have been able to locate that would work in dock space, life style, layout are
GB 32
IG 32
and the Californian 34
Another question, anyone know the GPH at hull speed? I really do enjoy going slow and enjoying the scene so to speak. We can get a fast dink or better yet buy the wifey a jet ski.

Let me know what your thoughts are. In advance, thanks much!
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
As a former CA 34 LRC owner and someone who has owned a bunch of boats not going to visit a boat in person even one that seems a good deal at least on paper would in my opinion be one of the biggest mistakes any buyer could make. A $500 to $700 airticket would be chump change compared to other unknown costs that could appear.

One thing that would work is to get an accepted offer subject to visual inspection, sea trial and survey that way you could do everything in one 2 day trip. Have your surveyor on organized and on standby and tell him that the survey go ahead is subject to your visual inspection. I have done this before and it worked out well.

Also the perkins are a good engine and the hours on the vessel are very low almost too low for a 1982 boat.

Your trucking costs back to WA would be around $18k to $20k after you remove the fly bridge and secure it on the fore deck.

These little boats handle very well with the flared bow and in a twin engine format you can spin them on a dime.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
games!)
By the sounds of it a survey is kind of a crap shoot as it is anyways. Not so if you get a good one, and there are good ones. I am contemplating a purchase sight unseen. Wrong move Just because distance prohibits me from seeing this in person. I know it's not the wisest Not even half wise but I wouldn't be paying 100k for it either. Another question, anyone know the GPH at hull speed? 3 or so GPH !
GWKIWI is correct. By buying sight unseen on sales BS and with no experienced looker or survey help you could have large financial surprises, many in fact. There are plenty of good boats in the PNW to look at so you don't have to ship or travel very far. I've seen several in the past year that are quite nice and well within your budget and size.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
It was good to speak with you this evening.

That's a very nice looking boat from the ad...but you can't always tell from the pictures. Maybe there's a TF member in the area that could spare a couple of hours to scout the boat for you. Having a trusted contact who can put hands and eyes on it and give you meaningful feedback would be a big plus.

Also, not a show stopper, but did you see this?

"Disclaimer
Pre 1993 fire aboard vessel lead to all electrical components being rebuilt or replaced from the bilge up in 1993. Primary engines overhauled '98. Fuel and Water tanks replaced and increased in size: fuel from 250-300; water 75-100. Standard wood support for cabin sole replaced with custom aluminum."

It could be an issue if the repairs were shoddy or it could be a plus if all the work was done properly, brought the ER up to date and all functions normally. From the looks of the like-original cabin, my guess is that the fire was contained to the ER and cabin sole. Sure would like to see it, though.

My 85HP 4.236 Perkins burn under 3gph combined fuel flow at 2000 RPM for about 7.5 Kts. YMMV

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Guru

City: somewhere
I would never buy a boat sight unseen. Your just asking for problems.

Just my $.02
Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Scout
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Even if I visited the boat, the transport costs to Bellingham would make me think again. I would prefer a boat from the PNW.
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
As gwkiwi said, what ever boat you are interested in buying, go and see it. When we were looking for a new boat, we looked at quite a few through the brokerage ads, some sounded and looked good in the description and photo's, and when we went to inspect we new immediately they were not right for us.

The boat has to feel 'right' to you, nothing worse than owning a boat you don't really like.

The Californian looks good in the photo's, a couple of observations.

1/ It only has one cook top, that's not ideal for a family spending time aboard.
2/ The bunk room is only a single, your son will want a mate to come stay and play as he gets older.By the way good luck with the 'no games' theory
3/ Seems the boat was last slipped three years ago, that's a long time if the anodes have no been renewed.
4/ Going with gwkiwi's shipping cost estimation the boat will 'cost' you about $50K , what can you get in your area for that price?
5/ Just a suggestion, take the family with you when you check out boats, you are buying and using it as a family, get their feedback, it's not just the mechanical stuff that's important.

Good luck and happy boating.

Edit; Gee you guys are quick, what I said has pretty much been covered by my more typing adept colleagues.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Just a suggestion, take the family with you when you check out boats, you are buying and using it as a family, get their feedback, it's not just the mechanical stuff that's important.
The above is the one ingredient that seems so obvious yet I'll admit to blowing big time. Nothing "felt right" to us until I got the wife actively involved in the decision making process.

Funny thing is my wife doesn't know squat about boats and has no burning desire to learn more than the basics either. However she does know exactly what she does and doesn't like. We had a divide and conquer approach to shopping. My job was mechanics and finance. Her job was layout and creature comforts.

We are delighted with our choice. We also decided before purchasing that we would buy a replacement in 5 years. That kinda took the stress out of having to find the so called "perfect boat" away as we knew it was merely a step in our journey.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
Guru

All good comments. Yes, after much consideration seeing is going to be a must. Your right, getting the family involved will be fun, specially my son. My wife and I are on the same page - except how much we can spend....Unfortunately finding an LRC on the West Coast is going to take some time. I would prefer to find one close to home then because things are going to be very busy for me in Washington come July. We'll start looking in person then just shortly after the first week of July.
I probably let my enthusiasm get the better part of me.
Anyone see something in the meantime or shortly there after we'll be on the hunt beginning of July there in Washington.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
Old 05-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
The above is the one ingredient that seems so obvious yet I'll admit to blowing big time. Nothing "felt right" to us until I got the wife actively involved in the decision making process.
Funny thing is my wife doesn't know squat about boats and has no burning desire to learn more than the basics either. However she does know exactly what she does and doesn't like.
Absolutely right. I knew I wanted a Clipper (CHB) 34, but had a somewhat rose coloured view regarding how often we would actually have non-family - or even family - for over-nighters. I thought aft (tri) cabin, wife said no - sedan style aft cockpit for the easy indoor/outdoor living - she was right. Just took a bit longer until it found us.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #11

I have seen this boat and it is as clean as a whistle! Very nice and well kept. I have no idea why he is selling because when we went aboard he seemed very fond of her. We visited to get some ideas to apply to our boat.
cajun mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #12
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I thought aft (tri) cabin, wife said no - sedan style aft cockpit for the easy indoor/outdoor living - she was right.
Smart lady! We love our cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3876.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #13
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun mistress View Post
I have seen this boat and it is as clean as a whistle! Very nice and well kept. I have no idea why he is selling because when we went aboard he seemed very fond of her. We visited to get some ideas to apply to our boat.
Uh oh!!!!...
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Norco
Vessel Name: Riley G
Vessel Model: 29 Guilles (custom built)
Californian 34

Not sure if you have bought a boat yet or not but I think you will be very happy with a Californian LRC 34. We purchased one in October and our situation sounds similar to yours. We have two sons, 12 and 14 and we enjoy staying on the boat for extended (up to a week) periods. The front cabin on ours actually has 3 berths and the side cabin sleeps 2. We have the 185 Perkins and the boat loves to cruise at about 1850 rpms and 10 knots. As far as I can tell it gets about 1.5 miles per gallon at that speed. The design of the hull is such that the boat never plows or digs in. It rides pretty well at all speeds and handles following seas extremely well. Ours tops out at about 17 knots. The construction is stout and when hauled there were no signs of blisters. Parts for the Perkins are easy to get, at least in Southern Cal. There are several Californians for sale in California and they come up fairly often. If I have one complaint is with the double berth I have to roll over top of my wife at night to get to the head. At 6-4 and 275 it probably bothers her more than me.
Sweet marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #15

Thanks Sweet Marie. We have purchased a Californian (March2013). It came at a good price but does need some work. The engines both run, and everything else seems to be in okay working order. That is except for the generator which is out of the boat and possible to get started. She definitely was a "marina queen". On her trip home she got tangled pretty bad with a crab trap and destroyed one of her struts. We have some of the manuals but not a part number for the strut. We hope to cruise soon!
cajun mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Californian

Our boat also had a bent strut from when the previous owner wrapped his own dock line around the prop shaft. The local boat yard was able to straighten the strut and so far so good. What engines do you have in your boat? I hope to someday talk to somebody with the 185s that has flow meters so I can get a more accurate fuel consumption curve.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #17
TF Site Team

Sweet Marie, a call or email to Perkins could provide you with the performance charts for your engines. They were great in helping me get the power curves for my 4.236. It'll help if you can provide the serial numbers.

Here's an example of what they sent me.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...arts-5594.html

Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
Guru

I have yet to purchase. We're getting settled in the new house next week. Then will begin looking in person. I'd like to find our next vacation home/vessel sooner than later. The Californian LRC sounds like a great boat for our family. Iike having the galley up with sleeping down. We'll just have to see what's available in the coming weeks. We are primarily going to be looking from Washington and Northern Oregon due to time/distance. Thanks for the endorsement and information, exactly what is needed.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Californian

Flywright,
Do you know if I would contact Perkins Sabre or is there another contact for the older Perkins engines?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
TF Site Team

I contacted Perkins Sabre for my 1977 vintage 4.236 info. They were very helpful.