Old 09-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #21

City: Port Ludlow,WA
Vessel Name: Halliday
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
RE: 34 Californian Articles, Specs and Factory Options List

Just took delivery of my 34 last Friday in Sidney BC. "Lucky Two" is now home in Port Ludlow, WA. It is a down galley with 3208 Cats. There is a manufacturer's tag on the cable pillar facing to port. The boat is a 1983 model but the original documents show it was built in Calif and are signed by Jule Marshall. The factory electrical and plumbing drawings are also still with the boat along with the original order form from a dealer in Florida. I thought Marshall was out the business at the time this was built but the hull number on the boat and documents match.
Mgtdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #22
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Welcome aboard Steve

Always good to hear from new Cali owners. *If you have any manuals, information or photos you would like to share, feel free to post or scan into a file.

Larry B

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Welcome, Steve and congrats on your new vessel. Lucky Two looks to have been beautifully maintained and updated. I have looked at her pics on Yachtworld, admiring her brightwork and shine.

Larry, I suspect there were two company addresses, but the Cals were still being built in CA and the other Wellcraft models were built in FL. Haven't confirmed that yet, but Steve's '83 seems to support that. The 1981 article above states that the boat was being built in CA and Wellcraft, which at the time had an option to purchase Marshall Boat Co, was licensed to build them on the east coast.

I, too, would love to see copies of those original docs.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #24

City: Port Ludlow,WA
Vessel Name: Halliday
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic

The boat was in a boathouse for the past 12years and has been very well maintained. We looked at a number of boats in the San Diego area and in the PNW and my wife said that if we are getting a boat she wanted that one. Not much to say after that. On the sea trial I had two surveyors on boared and a mechanic from the Cat dealer in the engine room. Their surveys were very positive except for few minor issues which were fixed.

I will get copies of the information out late next week. We have kids and a home in California and are heading that way for a while. I'll be taking all the boat paperwork with me to review.
Mgtdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #25
Per
Guru

Quote:
Mgtdguy wrote:
Just took delivery of my 34 last Friday in Sidney BC. "Lucky Two" is now home in Port Ludlow, WA. It is a down galley with 3208 Cats. There is a manufacturer's tag on the cable pillar facing to port. The boat is a 1983 model but the original documents show it was built in Calif and are signed by Jule Marshall. The factory electrical and plumbing drawings are also still with the boat along with the original order form from a dealer in Florida. I thought Marshall was out the business at the time this was built but the hull number on the boat and documents match.
*congrats with your new purchase, you will find Californians are great boats.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #26
Guru

My 1982 issue of Trawler Cruiser Yacht magazine has Californians made both in Florida and California, with the Wellcraft logo in the ad. My Powerboat Guide lists all Californians as having a modified V hull. Can a boat with a modified V hull be considered as bein' a semi displacement boat?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #27

City: Juneau
Here is a photo of my tag

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x63Xkpd7GKszpvwu9
ALASKAN is offline   Reply With Quote