3208 transmission re build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edward14

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Dreadnought
Vessel Make
1981 34' Californian Sport Fisher/Trawler
Hello all I would like to get some opinions on a re build I am getting my Cat 3208 210 hp NA re built and pretty much the whole system, should I get the transmission re built as well? It would cost me 5,400$ witch seems to be really high dose anyone know of a good shop I can ship mine too? I'm in San Diego CA.

Thanks,

I rebuilt my velvet drive with 2.57 to 1 reduction as it had a leak. All the internal parts were like new.
Trans is also from 1970. The reason for the slow leak, rust formed and pushed away the pump rubber o-ring seal.

Unless you got a problem with it why bother?

I rebuilt my velvet drive with 2.57 to 1 reduction as it had a leak. All the internal parts were like new.

Trans is also from 1970. The reason for the slow leak, rust formed and pushed away the pump rubber o-ring seal.

Unless you got a problem with it why bother?

Ok thanks yeah no issues with it just old but only 1,430 hours on the engine so not a whole lot of use.

Leave alone if no problems or leaks. Easy to pull if problems later I would believe

Good argument to do nothing. Maybe put new input and output shaft seals in. Maybe.

Thats really low hours for a Twin Disc, If it's all out I agree front and rear seals may be worth it (easy job) especially if some what rusty (seals are not to thick in steel),

Perhaps drain some oil and look for any metal particles etc as it should give you a guide as the internal condition

Cheers Steve

Forgot to say, take a close look at the drive flex plate as if spring type corrosion can lead to an early death, springs should be tight , any corrosion on the springs them selves can cause them to fail prematurely

Cheers Steve

Edward

Why is the engine being rebuilt? Possibly the engine issues are mirrored by the transmission.

Edward

Why is the engine being rebuilt? Possibly the engine issues are mirrored by the transmission.

This is a very good question I think.

My Twin Disc 506 gears were basically stuffed after just 1930 hrs, mostly because the PO (or his kids) had a habit of slamming from forward to reverse at elevated rpm when docking.

So hours are not a good indicator of trans health. Check the chip screens for debris.

Edward

Has bad blow by from dip stick and lid

I'll second the replace the flex plate while the engine is out, no matter what you decide on the Trans. Common point of failure, difficult to get at once the power unit its in the boat and not that expensive.

No, don't mess with it. It's probably just fine it's probably just had its first oil change. You could do that, for a baseline for maintenance. Paint it, definitely. Even if it doesn't look like it doesn't need it. If needed, restore the coupling. As mentioned, check the damper plate.

No, don't mess with it. It's probably just fine it's probably just had its first oil change. You could do that, for a baseline for maintenance. Paint it, definitely. Even if it doesn't look like it doesn't need it. If needed, restore the coupling. As mentioned, check the damper plate.

Awesome thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom