1990 Fuel Gauges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkinter

Veteran Member
I have a 1990 Calif. 45 that I believe has Centroid fuel gauges. All three read only Full, even when empty. Anybody have experience with these?

I have a 1990 Calif. 45 that I believe has Centroid fuel gauges. All three read only Full, even when empty. Anybody have experience with these?

Check the ground connections. If good the common denominator is the sending unit.

I'm currently rewiring everything under the dashboard. What got me started on this project was several of the gauges were not working properly. One of them was the aft fuel tank. I also removed the sending unit only to find a type I was not familiar with. Not a float type but a curved hollow tube.

Over the years things have been added, removed, etc but the old wiring remained. I have now finished the dashboard re-wired everything with new wire and the gauge still does not work. I'm assuming that the sending unit is bad. As of yet I have not found a way to test it. I also cannot find any brand ID anywhere on it. The fuel tank under the master bed was changed by the previous owner to a standard Moeller float unit and works fine. Will most likely do the same with the aft tank.

Anyway like Mbevins says look at the wiring first and go from there. I hope yours does not turn out like mine and lead to mission creep!

Centroid fuel sender

Thanks for the info. You've confirmed one of my guesses, that the three wire fuel senders are Centroid units. They're still in production and are supposed to be quite accurate, IF they work.
I'm going to go through the gauge wiring at the helm with Deoxit and see if I can get them to work.
In lieu of them working, a skipper of a Hatteras near me has a nice way of measuring fuel level.
He tops off the tanks,zeroes his Flo-Scan totalizers and then keeps a running log of fuel useage. He says he's generally been within a couple gallons on a 1500 gallon system.

Centroid Fuel Gauges

I got some info from Centroid. Gauges are too old to trouble shoot. Call sales.
Simple and to the point.

I ordered new senders. Interesting process. Info on web siteon how to order correct configuration, but the web is run by engineers and not totally up to date. Purchasing is a nice lady with no computer. Overall it worked and I have two nicesenders for $180 delivered.

I just replaced the Centroid sender in the aft tank. After talking to Mary at Centroid I decided to send them the old one to copy since it was bent 90 degrees. Got back the new one a little over a week later and thirty minutes later we had a working gauge again. It's was a cheap fix at less than $80 bucks and easy to re-install and back on the water again!

Jon,
Do you have a phone number for Mary. We both have the same boat and I also have an issue with my aft fuel tank gauge.
Thanks. Bob

Back
Top Bottom