1990 45 Fuel Switching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkinter

Veteran Member
The fuel switching panel on my 45 has so many magic marker labels that I have no idea what each of the two valves does. No original labels are visible.
I have a 120 gallon saddle tank on each side and a 200 gallon tank in the bilge under the aft bed.
Based on this, I'd guess each valve switches between the saddle tank for the adjacent engine and rear tank.
Of course, I don't believe the fuel gauges work either so I'll have to "stick" the saddle tanks and guess about the rear one.
The boat is new to me and I've gotten everything else fixed to a satisfactory level to make a long trip.
Any thoughts on the switching?:confused:

What "45" do you have? Need a bit more info on the vessel so folks can help...

In general, I'd take an hour or three and trace the lines, then mark each as to what it does.

fuel switches

I have a 1988 45ft californian and the factory installed panel was put in upside down. Luckily we found the original owner to explain it all.

Trace the lines and mark them.
You will learn that way and in the future if you have a problem , you will understand the system you have.
Richard

Where are your valves located. Through 1986 they were in the main cabin, starboard side right of the lower helm. I have a friend with a 1991, 55 cpmy and I can get some info from his boat if it will help.

Sounds like the same setup as my 1990 45. My fuel valves are under one of the steps to the rear stateroom. Mine runs the stb engine on stb tank or rear tank. Same for port side. I can send you pictures if you would like.
Mitchell

My gauges didn't work upon purchase five years ago. I pulled each fuel sending unit and cleaned the spring stator contacts. They all work like a charms now.

Here is the final update on two Starboard side fuel tank replacements. I opted to have one 125 gallon iron fuel tank fabricated for $850. I also then replaced the second 125 gallon port fuel tank with a 93 gallon plastic water tank. Ultimately, this gives the boat 375 gallons/500 mile fuel range. So in the end, both outboard fuel tanks are primary tanks. The inboard Port side tank is a reserve tank that can be pumped to both port and starboard fuel tanks and the inboard starboard tank is water. All is complete. I ended up cutting out plywood floor and replacing. The boat smells like new now. Absolutely no diesel smell, which the boat always did have anyway before I caused the large leak.

Attachments

• IMG_2908.JPG
    IMG_2908.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3697.jpg
    IMG_3697.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3726.jpg
    IMG_3726.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 59
I thank you all for advice and direction. Blessings to all and enjoy the summer.

Sam

Back
Top Bottom