Old 07-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
1990 45' Californian

Hi All!

Tom and I are going to look at a 1990 45 this weekend. What (if any) issues should we be on the lookout for?

Appreciate your input!
Bess&Tom

Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Dang Bess, turns out you guys had ten foot itus. Good luck in your pursuit.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:32 AM   #3

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
The Californians are very solid sturdy boats. AS with any boat it's the systems you need to pay attention to but I have had mine 3 years and I have had no surprises. I have Detroit 6-71 Ti's and they are extremely fuel efficient for DD's. At 8-9 kts I'm burning about 7 gph and at 14 kts only about 18 gph and that is with the generator 15 KW running. I know that sounds like a lot to a lot of members here, but I was extremely surprised after taking delivery on mine. I was thinking like 15 and 30 gph.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Dang Bess, turns out you guys had ten foot itus. Good luck in your pursuit.
Tom wishes it to be more!! We knew there would be a second boat, which is the only reason we sold the first boat! Just starting to shop, so it's hard to tell what will actually happen!
Old 07-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
The Californians are very solid sturdy boats. AS with any boat it's the systems you need to pay attention to but I have had mine 3 years and I have had no surprises. I have Detroit 6-71 Ti's and they are extremely fuel efficient for DD's. At 8-9 kts I'm burning about 7 gph and at 14 kts only about 18 gph and that is with the generator 15 KW running. I know that sounds like a lot to a lot of members here, but I was extremely surprised after taking delivery on mine. I was thinking like 15 and 30 gph.
The one we're looking at this weekend is the Cat3208s. Do you happen to have a picture of your bottom out of the water that you could post?
Old 07-02-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
This is one of the Carver years. Were there any major construction or design changes we should be aware of? Were they still solid fiberglass hulls or did they switch to cored? What about fuel tanks? We read a few things about the aft tank having issues.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #7

Don't know how to upload photos but it's a semi-V. 14 degree deadrise no keel but very stable and with the detroits she pops out of the hole very nicely. Yes have a pressure test done on the aft tanks. . Best 300dollars I spent. There is an interconnect that usually has issues between the 2 tanks. I had that problem but got the bank to build me a new tank, there are two. One under my third stateroom and the second under the aft bed. Mine is a Carver version also and the hull is solid as a tank. Haven't drilled any holes to see if solid or cored but like I said SOLID. I do not have one spidercrack on the entire boat. They were layed up properly.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #8

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I had a 1989 California 45 with 6-71 TIB's for 8 years and know of no inherent problems. Solid as rock. I agree with knot's fuel numbers. I took mine from Texas to Maine and back in 2001. The only thing that I would recommend is to be careful of is bumping the bottom. There is nothing to protect the props. Early in my ownership I bumped and after that bought a set of spares which I never had to use.

She jumped out of the hole with ease and was very good in a chop.

Your 3208 boat will be slower.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #9
Guru

Wow... So NO prop protection at all? I mean, Maybe around the ICW and Neuse River that wouldn't pose a huge problem because the bottom is just muck. Also, I went 5 years without ever even touching bottom. So while that may make me unadventurous by some standards, it did mean I didn't suck as a captain. ;-) Still, that is a bit worrisome. How long are the prop shafts? What do spare props set you back?
Old 07-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #10

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Here is the bottom on a 48'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	41637  
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #11

Wheel shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	41638  
Old 07-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #12

I was more careful after I bought the spares. As you can see from Capt. Jon's picture the shafts are pretty long and one piece. I think that I paid 2 grand for used props.

I carried them in the engine room laying flat...one on top of the other in the step down space just in front of the battery boxes and made a new plywood floor to put on top of them. I also put a short piece of PVC pipe in the holes to keep them from moving around.

Don't let this issue scare you away from a fantastic boat. Many a day I wish that I had mine back.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
I was more careful after I bought the spares. As you can see from Capt. Jon's picture the shafts are pretty long and one piece. I think that I paid 2 grand for used props.

I carried them in the engine room laying flat...one on top of the other in the step down space just in front of the battery boxes and made a new plywood floor to put on top of them. I also put a short piece of PVC pipe in the holes to keep them from moving around.

Don't let this issue scare you away from a fantastic boat. Many a day I wish that I had mine back.
Awesome idea! I've been carrying around ours in the lazerett on a pair of boards. Takes up so much room there. Going to give that a try!
Old 07-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #14
Guru

is there engine room access in addition to the galley stairs? Like salon floor?
Old 07-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #15

Salon floor came up on mine. I had the carpet cut around the hatches for easy access. No metal pulls, however. Would pry it up with a tool of some sort. I only pulled the hatches for oil changes, etc. to reduce the claustrophobia if I was going to be down there for a while.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #16
Guru

The pictures make it look pretty roomy in there. Is that true? Can't wait to see it tomorrow!
Old 07-02-2015, 11:22 PM   #17

Yes, it does have good living space. The engine room is not standup. But a stool will allow you to sit upright and do many maintenance task. Not sure on the 45' but the 48 CPMY has decent room outboard to work on the engines. Things like valve adjustments, etc are not bad. I have certainly worked in much tighter engine rooms!

At least on this boat you can put a squirrel cage fan in front of the raised stairs and with the A/C on not have to work in a killer hot environment.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:22 AM   #18
Guru

Thanks for the pics and input.

Those are some tiny ass rudders. How do they handle?
Old 07-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #19

Wish they were much bigger for the speeds we run at.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:33 AM   #20

I agree small rudders but remember this boat planes, I also normally cruise at 8-9 kts but I really haven't noticed any handling issues at slow speed. The torque on the DD's are amazing and in gear at idle she's doing about 3-4 kts which can make it interesting in tight marinas but by bumping in and out of gear the boat is very responsive. I have a bow thruster but I try and limit it's use as I don't want to become dependent on it. Like SEASALT said these boats are awesome. Very roomy and livable I spent three months on mine last summer and hated coming back to the dirt house. I used the mid-berth stateroom as a walk in closet and it worked out nicely. I never felt cramped. The living space on the back deck is the real deal. The only thing I wish I had is SAT TV but I can buy a lot of diesel for the cost of those fancy KVH antennas.

I keep spare props also, but I have them in the storage space under the forward VIP Stateroom. there is plenty of room around the FWD A/C air handler. If your concerned about the running gear hanging out, I use 5 foot draft as a good rule of thumb. They say it drafts 4'8" but I think in normal cruising trim she's probably more like 4'3"-4'6".