Old 07-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #21

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Your right they are awesome boats. We live on ours 5 days durning the week right now and it's never felt cramped. We don't have the third stateroom or head like the 48 MY but for us and the occasional friends it has plenty of room! The sun deck is great place to spend time. It's what really to me makes this boat a great hanging on the hook machine.

The only two things I don't like (every boat has issues) are rudder size at displacement speeds and the ability to not see backing down. Since we only have fly bridge controls it takes two to get her in the slip. I certainly would not call either of those real issues. Guess the most important thing is we would buy the exact same boat again without hesitation!

We will be retiring soon and just can't wait to really spend an extended amount of time on her.

Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #22

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
During the sea trial on mine I was also concerned about visibility aft. I do have the lower helm in the salon but I doubt I'd ever use it especially not for docking but any way the Captain that drove the boat on the sea trial said to me "look through the ladder well up to the bridge. If you can see the port corner of the boat which you can, you will always know where the starboard side is. After the first few times of doing that I have not had any issues docking. Even with the swim platform hanging off the back which I cannot see, I have managed not to mangle it yet.

knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #23

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
For some reason the first owner of my 45 had an extra sliding hatch on the aft hardtop. Backing into a slip I could look aft to port past the bridge steps to the corner of the boat. Looking starboard I could look through an identical hatch and see the starboard aft corner. The factory had to have made the extra hatch. Sure helped in docking.

One modification that I had made was a real door to replace the slider into the main salon. I think a lot of owners have done this. Whoever dreamed up the slider must have been drinking.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
One modification that I had made was a real door to replace the slider into the main salon. I think a lot of owners have done this. Whoever dreamed up the slider must have been drinking.
The previous owner did the same mod.

The original designer must have been tomb builder in a past life!
Old 07-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #25

Yes I have a real door also, those sliders are ridiculous on that boat.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Soooooo.....we went to see it. It's beautiful. It's clean, it's well staged, the engine room is spotless......but it's HUGE! The freeboard is taller than me! How the heck am I supposed to tend lines and be first mate? on our 35' I could just jump to the dock and tie us up......that's not gonna happen on this boat. It makes me want the 42' Navigator more with the cockpit. Less boat, but more managability. What say you?

AND....If you have three fuel tanks.....where the heck is the third one?
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #27

Four tanks, 2 wing tanks in the ER. 3 and 4 underneath the aft cabin berth and forward of that one centerline in the bilge. my two holding tanks are outboard of the aft berth.
They handle very well around the dock. no need to jump off. I bought a landing loop to put a line on cleat if there is no help. Yes high freeboard not bad with fixed docks but a little tougher on floating docks like here in Jax where I'm at. I built a set of stairs at my permanent berth and I have a marquip ladder when elsewhere. I have to admit my engineroom isn't very clean, those Detroits leak but i'll take a dirty ER for the tried and true reliability of Detroits.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #28

The boat handles so well around the dock that jumping off has never been an issue to secure lines. My wife and I have no problems at all docking.

As for the freeboard, it's why it has so much room inside. Much less freeboard than a Hatteras MY or LRC of comparable length.

As for tanks, some days I wish we had more than just two tanks. With us carrying 500 gallons total it takes a long time to empty. My opinion with 3 or 4 tanks fuel management is easier.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:38 PM   #29

My 45 had three fuel tanks. One under the master bed and two saddles outboard the engines.

My DD mechanic once told me that if you hung a picture of a DD on the wall in your house that there would be drops of oil on the floor in the morning.

You get use to the high freeboard and line handling for my wife was not a problem. She would drop a line over the dodger board and reach through the hole...grab the loop end... and attache it to the cleat. Then toss the other end to the dock attendant.

We traveled on this boat for 8 years and never had a problem handling it.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:35 AM   #30
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
The freeboard is taller than me! How the heck am I supposed to tend lines and be first mate? on our 35' I could just jump to the dock and tie us up......that's not gonna happen on this boat.

Met a gentleman recently that owns a Hatteras 70 and asked him specifically about line handling with high freeboard. His answer was he has never really given the subject any thought whatsoever. It just is not an issue. He brought it to California from Washington with just his girlfriend and to hear him tell the story that was akin to single handing. He docks his boat pretty much solo every time and he hasn't failed to get it tied up yet.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:19 AM   #31
Guru

If the tank under the bed is fuel, where is the water tank?

Do any of you have dogs on board?

(thanks for helping with the line handling fears)
Old 07-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #32

Yes both the water tank and the aft fuel tank is under the bed. Water on top fuel in bottom. I have owned the boat for 3 years and I have never put fuel in the aft tank. 200 gallons in the wing tanks are enough for the cruising I do. When I get to the Bahamas or if I get somewhere with really cheap diesel I may fill it up and burn off that first.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #33

We did not have a dog when we owned the 45 but we did have Marquipt Tiderider stairs. If we had had a big dog it could have used the stairs. If we had a foo foo dog we would have carried it up and down if there was any danger of the little idiot falling off.

But, things change and we now have a foo foo dog that my wife carries around like a baby so it won't get it's little a$$ wet by falling in.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
I don't think your Carver Californian is the same as the Californian 45 that they are looking at.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #35

I think it is because my former boat, Capt. Jon's and Knotheadcharters' boats are all Carver Californians. My 1989 45 MY was one of the last built in California before the plant was moved to Rocky Point, NC and shut down in the early 90's.

48 CPMY's and 48 MY's had different layout because the 48 CPMY is a 42 MY with a cockpit added. A 45 MY with a cockpit is the 52 CPMY. A 48 MY with a cockpit is a 55 CPMY.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #36

Our boat was hull #12. Built in March of 1988. It is a Tustin built boat under the early ownership of Carver. If you look at enough to of these boats you can spot really quickly from a distance which boats were built in either Tustin California or SC.

I once found a news paper article where Carver was shutting down the Tustin facility. In the article the work crew was small and they were only building two or three boats that last few years. There are some interior differences between between the two builds. I do like some of the later interior changes to the Carver built boats. Little more modernize and in some areas more efficient use of space.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #37
Guru

Okay.....going back for a second look tomorrow.....any advice for tiny me to look again and not be intimidated by the massive size?? I mean in all fairness, when we bought the original Skinny Dippin', she looked kinda big too, and we got used to her very easily.

Has anyone extended their swim platforms and added stairs up to the sundeck?
Old 07-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #38

In my minds eye I don't see why you could not extend the swim deck and make the boarding to the sun deck a little easier. It would certainly take someone with good building skills but it could be done.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:04 PM   #39
Guru

How can we tell from the HIN where it was built and what hull # it is?
Old 07-17-2015, 06:43 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
How can we tell from the HIN where it was built and what hull # it is?
Here's a Californian thread that may help you decifer the HIN.

Wellcraft Californian 34 LRC HIN

With 3 manufacturers over the years and many changes to the HIN numbering systems, there's no single source HIN decoder that I know of.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote