Old 01-28-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
AJH

City: New Bern
1989 48" California fuel sending units

Have just purchase a 1989 48" California motor yacht and have issues with fuel gauges not working. Have power to the gauges but needle pegs out full all the time. Has anyone replaced the fuel sending units? If so, whose sending units/model did you use? Units are mounted on the front side of the saddle tanks (3 wires to the units)and look difficult to pull. Any tips here on removal procedure?

Also, boat survey indicates 500 gallon fuel capacity between the two saddle tanks and the aft tank. Does anyone know the capacity of each tank?

Thanks in advance!

AJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:21 PM   #2

City: Clearwater, FL
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: Hardin
I replaced fuel sending units, but on a 1977 42' Californian's aft tanks (had no saddle tanks). I also pulled and checked the ones on my current boat's side tanks. In each case, I basically unscrewed the ring of screws and lifted out the sender.

In the Californian, I initially just cleaned them and put them back -- that fixed my problem. But, they were old, so I subsequently got and installed replacements. I use Moeller mechanical ones, just because that is what West Marine had in stock. They came with new gaskets and screws, which I used.

I got lucky in that the screws all lined up. If not, I'd have drilled new holes in the mounting rings on the senders, rather than in the tank, using the old ones as a guide.

It was a quick easy thing to do. For my aft tanks, it was easy access. For the side tanks, I had to use a stubby screw driver.

gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #3

City: Savannah
fuel burn

Have 91' Cal 48 MY with 3208 Cats. Have had other boats with 3208 engines. Always seem to burn 1.5 gal/h running at 1500 rpm's which produces 9 mph
wrm95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #4
AJH

City: New Bern
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
I replaced fuel sending units, but on a 1977 42' Californian's aft tanks (had no saddle tanks). I also pulled and checked the ones on my current boat's side tanks. In each case, I basically unscrewed the ring of screws and lifted out the sender.

In the Californian, I initially just cleaned them and put them back -- that fixed my problem. But, they were old, so I subsequently got and installed replacements. I use Moeller mechanical ones, just because that is what West Marine had in stock. They came with new gaskets and screws, which I used.

I got lucky in that the screws all lined up. If not, I'd have drilled new holes in the mounting rings on the senders, rather than in the tank, using the old ones as a guide.

It was a quick easy thing to do. For my aft tanks, it was easy access. For the side tanks, I had to use a stubby screw driver.
Thanks this helps 😀
AJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Grand Rivers, KY
Vessel Name: Bare Necessities II
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' ACMY
Good morning AJH, and congratulations on your purchase of what I think are great boats. I have a 1989 Carver Californian with the 3 stateroom floor plan. I believe my two saddle tanks are 200 us gallons each and the aft tank which is center line under the aft cabin is 160 us gallons making a total of 560 us gallons. The aft tank if your boat is like mine is actually 2 separate tanks hooked together at the bottom of the tanks via a fuel line to allow the fuel to keep equalized. If yours is a 2 stateroom it could be different on the aft tank but I would think the saddle tanks are 200 each. I haven't had any trouble with my gauges but if all of the gauges are showing full, it seems strange that it would be all 3 sending units. Could it be a common ground wire that is broken or disconnected. If you need to know more about what is under the floor let me know and I will try to help you. I have chased fresh water leaks on mine and I have gotten to know the old gal quite well.
Bare Necessities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #6

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Our 1988 48’CMPY used Centroid sending units. Easy just to replace. Not terribly expensive either. You can find more information here.

CENTROID PRODUCTS - Computerized Tank Display - Electronic Senders - capacitive fuel gauges

Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote