Old 10-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
The Ultimate 32' Trawler

I want to open a dialogue about "What is the Ultimate 32' Trawler?" Maybe this should be posted elsewhere in the Forum but since I'll open the discussion with the 32' Island Gypsies and Gourmet Cruisers, I'll start here.

When it comes to deciding on how big a boat to buy, an old adage is "buy the smallest boat that has all the comforts you desire." I have found that to be absolutely true since I've owned & cruised a 54', 48', 42', 38', 35', 32', 30' & a 29 footer. My choice (and vote) is for the 32 footer. Remember, the question is about 32 feet and a 7-10 knot trawler.

My vote for the cruising couple goes to the 32' Island Gypsy Europa. One hell of a lot of boat in 32 feet. Full walk around, covered cockpit, fly bridge, separate shower from the head, single engine, generator, dinghy davits, etc. Yes, I know grand Banks also made a 32 but, IMHO, if one takes the time to compare all the features on these two boats and doesn't get all caught up in the brand, the IG wins hands down!

Now, for the day sailor, bay cruiser, wine & shrimp platter crowd, the 32' Gourmet Cruiser is the way to go. (You know that was coming as that is what I've been driving for the last seven years.) Single engine, no fly bridge, separate shower from the head, queen size island bed, a great cockpit, nice little galley, and an interior that satisfies the most discriminating yachting couple. (No apologies necessary at your yacht club with this boat. It turns more heads than Lady Godiva!)

Photos:
1 & 2 Island Gypsie 32 Europa
3,4 & 5 Gourmet Cruiser 32
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Emily Anne 5:29:2011.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	23913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave Hawkins IG 32.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	23914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2105.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	23915   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1219 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	23916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Renee @ the Helm.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	23917  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
It's much simpler for me Walt.

32 NT

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
It's much simpler for me Walt.

32 NT
I must admit that when I was aboard a NT 32, I really liked it! (Cockpit was too small, though.)

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Walt, I think you have one of the nicest 32' weekend cruisers going. That said, I can't see a 32' boat with 330 HP and planning speed capacity hull, called a trawler.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I agree, Walt. Two of the best designs for their intended purpose.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I can't see a 32' boat with 330 HP and planning speed capacity hull, called a trawler.
Ted: If my boat would get on plane and do more than 10 knots I wouldn't call it a trawler either. The fact is, It won't plane! If I were a cruiser (like I used to be) I would have a boat like Moonstruck's.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
The first time we saw an Island Gypsy it was a 32 in Cowichan Bay. We thought it was an amazing vessel and started looking at them as our future boat, we had an Albin 25 then. So we looked at a lot of different 32's, IG's, GB's and NT's. We gravitated to the IG and GB but felt the NT space configuration was not to our liking. We were taken out on a few of the GB's and IG's to get a feel for them and we could not distinguish between them how they handled any of the seas we encountered. The IG became our choice for value for the dollar. Our space needs changed with the arrival of grand kids and we decided to go with a 36 and almost bought a IG Europa 36, but ended up with our GB. We felt the tri cabin worked best for us and the IG layout was not as usable for our needs in that style. IG's are great boats in our opinion and the 32 is as sweet as they come.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
The best 32 footer for a cruising couple is.......a Prairie 29!!!!!

I've always been a fan of the IG32s!!! Great boats!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
Ted: If my boat would get on plane and do more than 10 knots I wouldn't call it a trawler either. The fact is, It won't plane! If I were a cruiser (like I used to be) I would have a boat like Moonstruck's.
My mistake, one of the listings on yacht world said 10 to 12 not cruise. Figured you had to be mostly on top at 12 knots.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
No contrary opinion from me with you on this issue Walt. Two boats on our radar for a possible next boat are in this thread, the IG 32 and Prairie 29.

In that under 32' category another boat I'm a big fan of is the Willard 30'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all to 12-15-09 424 copy.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	23921  

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:

When it comes to deciding on how big a boat to buy, an old adage is "buy the smallest boat that has all the comforts you desire."

I think I've begun to find that premise isn't perfect.... when builders stuff a boatload of features into a package that's so small it becomes less easily serviced due to access issues.

I think I'd sacrifice "smallest" in favor of "best systems access."

Example: we have a second stateroom in a boat that would have instead made an even nicer single-stateroom model. I'm sure the builder was thinking about market issues... but we'd have preferred a better master (it's pretty nice already, but could be improved) and easier access to plumbing and so forth. Moving to proportionally smaller (smaller enough) boats of the same genre eventually eliminates second stateroom, but without any improvement to the rest of the boat.

-Chris
Old 10-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I think I've begun to find that premise isn't perfect.... I think I'd sacrifice "smallest" in favor of "best systems access."
"Best systems access" requires a "bigger" boat and since it is one of the things you require, obviously a smaller boat will not fit your needs!

Old 10-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
"Best systems access" requires a "bigger" boat and since it is one of the things you require, obviously a smaller boat will not fit your needs!

Yeah, I think that means "best systems access" is a creature comfort

-Chris
Old 10-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
It would be hard to combat the IG 32 for a cruising boat of that size. It's got everything, if not a bit less of each, but it's all there. My 32 choice would be the Gormet for class and style, and we were about to move on one when we thought we'd only have room for 33' at our dock.

Check out the hull extension and bow mod on this 32 If it wasn't for sale on Yachtworld, I'd think it was a photoshop job.

IG.1993 Island Gypsy 32 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Seen that before. Something amiss somewhere methinks.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Check out the hull extension and bow mod on this 32 If it wasn't for sale on Yachtworld, I'd think it was a photoshop job.
IG.1993 Island Gypsy 32 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I would love to know what the performance is like on this boat as I have never seen anything like it.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
There are only so many 32's available to compare, so the 32 Halv's will inevitably be compared to 30 and 34 models.

Comparing my 34 Californian to the 32 Halvorsen, I probably have a small advantage in system access with an unobstructed ER 20 ft long by 12 ft wide. They used that space to fit twin diesels, but with my small 85 HP Perkins, they have good access. The engines, trannies, batteries, holding and fresh water tanks, water heater, fuel tanks, shaft and rudder logs, etc are all easy to access and maintain. What that costs me is below deck storage space including a segregated lazarette storage like on the 32 Halv. I have not yet seen a 34 Californian with the 3208 Cat twins...they must be nearly impossible to access.

Above deck, I might gain a slight advantage in cabinet storage and true walk-around side decks/lower helm door but it costs in salon size and openness. I have 2 staterooms that are each small and a single head/enclosed shower combo, not divided head and shower. By comparison, my 34 ft boat (37 LOA) boat feels smaller when moving around the interior, but opens up when moving fore or aft on the exterior. I think my cockpit might be a small bit larger, too...again at the cost of interior space. Having double sliding aft doors into the cockpit makes that space just a bit more appealing and inviting, unifying the interior and exterior spaces somewhat.

When we get 4 or more people on my boat, we're all doing a ballet to keep out of each other's way. I think the 32 Halv makes much better use of interior space. Also, they do it with higher quality materials and components. The 1977 standards may have been lower than that of the new millennium boats, but I doubt it. There's no comparison on the fit and finish or component quality between my 1977 and Walt's 2005. Not that my boat isn't stout...it is. But the interior quality on the Halvorsens is head and shoulders above that of the early-vintage Californians that I've seen.

I guess in the end, it's all a trade-off, but in the 32 Gourmet Cruiser, the compromises seem less apparent to the eye.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
Guru

Don`t assume all older IG32s are single engined, as most are. One for sale here has twin Lehman 120s, some years back I inspected one with (more appropriate) twin Lehman 80s, raw water cooled(less appropriate).
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Ok, I'll bite and say for a 32 and a couple, we love our Nordic 32. However, I wonder if it still counts now that they have renamed it the 34 . . . .

As for the cockpit, yes a bit larger would be nice, but we have more than enough room to fish and for the two of us to sit with two deck chairs. But, we actually spend more time sitting and relaxing on the cabin top (the "dance floor") than in the cockpit.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
Ok, I'll bite and say for a 32 and a couple, we love our Nordic 32. However, I wonder if it still counts now that they have renamed it the 34 . . . .
I'm sorry but it doesn't qualify...Have you noticed others with Prairie 29s, Willard 30s and Californian 34s trying to enter the competition? The rules were quite clear as to this being a 32 comparison. (Man! You only missed it by an official 2 feet with a great boat!)