Old 09-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #81
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
"Roll Call" For Gourmet Cruisers and Island Gypsies

Eric:
I really am that good looking but have received some unwanted e-mails that went beyond your very kind remarks.

New photo

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 17th of September 2010 10:40:05 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	walt.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	2692  

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #82
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
RE: "Roll Call" For Gourmet Cruisers and Island Gypsies

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

The Chock is not a load carrying device. It is a boat anti-chafing device or a device to route the line over the rail at one spot that is prefered over others.

I will add to your definition or clarify it as the case may be. *There is a reason why you may want to "route the line over the rail at one spot that is prefered over others." *That reason is to redirect the load. *If you did not have the chock in that first pic, you would have a torsional load on the cleat in which the strength of the cleat mounting is only as strong as ONE of the fasteners. *By putting that chock on there, you have re routed the load into a shear load....in which all fasteners come into play as to the strength of the installation. *IOW, the strength of the cleat is maximized.....granted, you are putting load on the chock.

Chocks cause chafe...not prevent it. *So I disagree with the first part of your statement. *Their only purpose is to reroute the line...for whatever reason.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #83
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

Marin wrote:" GB's Europas do not have a step up to the foredeck......So the setback of* the side deck covers is not for head clearance."
( A further check on YachtWorld indicates she's a 47. I've also noticed that the 36 & 42 both have steps up to the foredeck.)

Well, that shows how observant I am.* I've been on a bunch of GB Europas from 36' up to 52' and never even noticed the deck step up to the foredeck.* But you're correct, they all have them.* So the setback for head clearance makes all sorts of sense.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #84
Guru

Steps up or not....notch is for head clearance or not....I've been retired for approx 19 years and have done little else but "mess around" in boats" and going to evey boat show I can. (almost all of them in my area.) Having owned 8 different kinds of boats (since I wasn't honest with myself about the actual mission) I have arrived at the "opinion" that if the mission is coastal cruising, mixed with a little fishing and social cruising, and you have the resources, you can't beat a Grand Banks Europa yacht!* I know that there are a lot of boats out there that will fit the mission I have outlined,* but every time I'm onboard a 36-47 GB, I get goose bumps. They are well built, perform exceedingly well and don't depreciate nearly as much as most other boats you can name.

And for the new people on this forum, no, I don't own one but my next boat will be a late model GB 42.***** GB 42 Test

Sorry for the thead drift.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gb 42.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	2702  
Old 09-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #85
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Walt: Like the 300SL in the background of the GB model. Had any of those as well as your myriad of boats?
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #86
Guru

Dave:

No 300SL in my background but I did have a nice 500SL I bought from a "down and out" actor in Hollywood. I later sold it because the seats* didn't allow me to bend my knees as much as I wanted and it was murder on my back. I then had 2 Mercedes sedans after that. I'm not much of a car buff, so I blame them on a mid life crisis that I eventually survived. (My first wife died of cancer 18 years ago and I tried to recapture the era of the 60's that had passed me by) This lasted about a year and a half before I returned to my senses, (and my health ) such as they are. Too much info?

Incidentally, that model of a GB 42 is not mine. I pulled it off the web because I love the lines of that boat.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 19th of September 2010 10:12:57 PM
Old 09-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #87
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Right there with ya Walt. There are very few boats prettier than the GB 42 Europa. I think it is the proportions that are absolutely perfect....kinda like a 757. The 46 is close!!!...but maybe slightly long in the nose....but still insanely beautiful!!!

PS...a Gullwing 300SL is worth 7 figures today!!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Monday 20th of September 2010 07:52:23 AM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #88
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

[img]download.spark?ID=804282&aBID=115492[/img]
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #89
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

OOOPS, that's us above, have not quite got the hang of uploading/downloading any dam loading! Well hello from our 36' quad cabin circa 1981.We have just spent 4 grueling weeks taking up the old teak deck, cutting out the glass removing what was optimistically called the wood core, replacing it with a composite product and then adding about 45kg of resin to bed it down and replacing the glass and finish off with a new 9mm teak deck, well not quite finished as it has been raining for the last couple of days in our*bit of paradise.

Not that we had planned any of this, but you know one thing leads to another. Nice to know that there is a community of fellow IG's out there.

A little Bit of trivia we bought Sarawana from the old Halvorsen yard at Bobbin Head, lovely spot.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #90
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Walt, I have to admit I also lust after a GB 40ish, either the 41 EU, or, if they start making a 36 Europa I'd maybe prefer that as a size more suited to our short-handed crew, (and my marina berth). I gather you would not have the pod drives, but stay with shafted drives with skeg(s)?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #91
Guru

Peter:

They do make a GB 36 Europa! (Well, they did make one..) An old lady (about 83) has one at the next marina over and she has a captain that takes care of it and runs it for her.
I ask her if she would ever sell it and got a very emphatic NO!* It's a great looking boat, twin engines and I wouldn't mind having it myself.

Although I love the GB 41 Zeus (fantastic control) I was disappointed with it's "hunting" while on A/P. Could have been the A/P (part of the Zeus drives) but I don't think so. Also, at slow (trawler) speeds, not too impressive. "Lots of money" A good GB42 Europa, 1999-20??, standard shafts, etc. can be had for a* lot less. Not as fast but definitely cruises in the teens. Not to mention, it's great looking and the full walk around is something I lust after.

36' GB Europa

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 11:37:05 AM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gb 36.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	2835  
Old 10-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #92
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Peter B wrote:

if they start making a 36 Europa I'd maybe prefer that as a size more suited to our short-handed crew
As Walt says they did offer the GB36 in Europa configuration.* Our local GB dealer gets them in from time to time.* It's a good configuration for two people but not for any more than that because you have to put the additional people in the main cabin at night by making up a berth.

It is doubtful that GB will make a boat that small again.* At one point Bob Livingston (CEO) was saying that they were considering an "entry level" boat like a 32 or 36-footer.* However the same situation exists today as existed in the early 2000s when they pulled the plug on the 36 for the last time.* Given the way GB builds its boats and the quality level they want to maintain they simply cannot build a 36' boat and sell it for a competitive price given all the other, less expensive boats in the same size range that are out there.*

They made one last-ditch effort in the late 90s after they'd closed the GB36 line for some time.* They came back with what everyone dubbed the GB36 Lite, which was a simplified boat with almost no teak (to keep material and labor costs down) a single engine, no bow-thruster, and other pared-down features.** But even this "bare bones" model had a price tag considerably higher than competing boats, some of which were very close to GB in terms of quality.* People simply didn't want to pay that much money for "only" a 36' boat.* So after a year or so of this they shut the GB36 line down for good.

I talked to the lead broker at the GB dealer in our marina yesterday and he said that last year was a very good year for boat sales.* He attributed it to the "release" of pent-up buying power by people who'd been sitting on their money because of economic uncertainty.* When things appeared to be turning around, these people decided to buy.* And it was a good time to buy since boat prices are so depressed.

But he feels that the next couple of years will be very flat to poor in the boat-selling business, at least at the upper end of the range where GBs tend to live.* The economic recovery is not accellerating as some people think it should be which is spawning new fears.* Add to this the fact that Europe is experiencing in some ways worse problems than we have in the US, and GB may be lucky simply to survive.* Nordic Tug has already felt the pinch and has shut down production for an indeterminate time.

On the flip side his company's large charter fleet which consists exclusively of later-model GBs from 36 to 52 feet is almost fully booked for next year.

So don't hold your breath for a new GB36 Europa, be it powered with pod drives or oars.* But if you want a used one they are around, at least here in the PNW where the Europa configuration (in any boat) is the best configuration for our crappy weather.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 01:11:11 PM
Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #93
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:" Given the way GB builds its boats and the quality level they want to maintain they simply cannot build a 36' boat and sell it for a competitive price..."
Exactly the same reason was given for the Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser. Most***
were sold in China, Australia and Europe. I have hull #20 and to the best of my
knowledge, it's the only Gourmet Cruiser in San Diego. The last price (new) I*
heard* of, delivered on the West Coast, a new 34 footer without electronics,
windlass, etc. was $319,000. By the time you add a windlass, decent electronics
and some other "nice to have" goodies " (like an anchor, etc.) you're pushing $350K+. Too much for a
34' boat if you want to be competitive.

(Don't get me wrong, however, as I'm tickled to death to own one. I bought mine
used and less than a year and a half old.)

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 04:06:47 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_2114.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	2836   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3363.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	2837  
Old 11-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #94
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Walt and Marin,
I don't think we ever got to the bottom of that chock/cleat thing and it looks like I/we overlooked something. In the photos there are SS guards to protect against chaffing for either chock or cleat. I think the chock is there for cap rail protection when using the Sampson post as the mooring line would pass over the rail in many different places fore and aft and if used that way (w the Sampson post) the line would be fairly straight putting only light loads on the chock. In other words I think the designers/builders intended the mooring line to pass through the chock only on it's way to the Sampson post. I stumbled back here looking at Island Gypsies. Interesting reading about the following sea stuff. That's the one thing I think I'd miss that would cause regret*** ...the excellent stern sea manners of the Willard. I'm looking at a Willard 36 but it is probably sold.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #95

Just checking in with my first post as a new member as of 5 min. ago.
I cruise an Island Gypsy 32 Sedan. Have owned many (too embarrassed to count) boats. The last 3 have been trawlers and I'm probably stuck on them for life. Love my IG but need to paint her house. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	summer 2008 cruising 018.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	3346  
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #96
Guru

Welcome aboard Steve!* I wish I could suggest something really profound as it pertains to painting the house, but I can't. I haven't had to do that yet.

Your boat (avatar) looks great and we all hope you enjoy TrawlerForum. (The best damn boating site on the Web.)

Walt
Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #97
TF Site Team

Yes, welcome aboard Steve. IG 32's seem to be popping up all over. Having had a "one off" boat for 22 years before we bought out IG two years ago, its great to have company.

Painting the house? Lots of sanding, filling, fairing and taping (90% of the work) and then roll and tip a couple of coats with a good marine paint. I prefer Petit Easypoxy one part but everyone has a preference. Practice on something expendable first if you haven't done it before.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #98
TF Site Team

Speaking of Halvorsens, what's happened with Boogiediver? He hasn't posted for quite awhile.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Welcome, Steve. I too have never painted a deck house, so I don't have much to offer in the way of specifics.

What year is your IG? What necessitates the house painting?
jethrobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #100
Scraping Paint

There have been a lot of discussion about painting fiberglass boats on the GB owners forum over the years. These discussions are all archived if you want to join the forum and search its archives.

There are two basic choices, two-part paints and one-part paints. Both have their proponents on the GB forum. A popular one-part paint is Interlux Brightside. We have a slip neighbor who the other year repainted parts of his sailboat's main cabin. He used Brightside.

The other two schools of thought are spraying and not spraying. In the not-spraying camp the most popular method is roll-and-tip. This technique has you roll the paint on and immediatly follow it up with tipping with a brush to remove the roller "bubbles" and "texture." We have not used this technique on the outside of the boat but we have used it on the inside and when done properly it works quite well.

A spray finish is the best there is, although some people claim they can get pretty close with the roll-and-tip method. Spraying brings its own challenges, not the least is the need to mask and deal with overspray. Some marinas may not allow this at all in the slips. Our neighbor, who is a retired marine engineer/production boat builder, used a very small spray gun. This allowed him to keep the masking to a minimum and the overspray was nil. Plus he knows what he's doing, which is essential to getting good results from a spray gun.

Our boat is badly in need of a paint job--- the gelcoat took a beating in 25 years of California sun before we bought the boat and brought it up here, and there are numerous dings, chips, scrapes, and worn spots in the gelcoat from previous owners. Someday we may get around to trying to spruce it up a bit, and we will probably use the same technique as our neighbor--- a very small spray gun. After, of course, we prep the surfaces by fixing all the dings and whatnot.