Old 10-27-2008, 05:49 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
RE: "Roll Call" For Gourmet Cruisers and Island Gypsies

Thanks Mark. Informative. Will have to see if our figures more or less correspond to yours and Walt's after we use the boat for season. Suspect that they will. She is hauled for the winter now until next May.

Interesting to note that the previous owners (who only owned her for a year) had a paid Captain bring the boat from Ontario to Maine last year, a 7 day trip. We were given a page from his log of the trip that stated that he averaged 2.9 gph at an average speed of 7.9 knots. No mention of rpm. Hmm. Would like to see the rest of that log.

Before our boat is shrink wrap covered for the snow season, have been busy attempting to deal with the many small things that have been neglected by previous owner(s).

Exterior, lazarette and engine room lights that don't work. Haven't figured those out yet. Also, have figured out why the speedo log is not working (the wheel on the thru hull spins freely).

Lots of hinges needing freeing up and oiling.

Removed the anchor pulpit to rebuild it as it has a serious crack in it due to a PO's inept mounting of windlass (instead of mounting windlass on a pad to raise to clear the head of the stbd aft pulpit mounting bolt, he removed that big bolt and put it a 1/4" bolt with no backing plate). Also gives me a chance to put on a second anchor roller for a spare anchor.

Trying to figure out access to the top of the stbd tank to put in a return line. May have to cut a hole in the sole overhead from inside of the settee or liquor cabinet to gain access.

Just made a mockup of a folding leaf, movable, high-low table that would go from berth height to coffee table height to dining height. At berth height it would fit from port settee to stbd settee. Plunk in a new filler cushion and one more small filler between the settes and the aft door and, hopefully, we will have devised a solution to sleeping occasional overnight guests. At dining table height fully opened we could seat people on both settees for meals. Of course, then if one wanted to go outside while the table was fully opened, one would have to use the door near the helm. Will go to the boat today to test it out. Will be something along the lines of the attached photo. Plan to plug the hole in the sole where the factory high-low pedestal went in with a compass rose inlay and then refinish that section of the sole.

Also have to remove the propeller to have it checked out as we had a slight vibration which may have something to do with the two sheared shaft coupling bolts I found in the bilge. I will have to replace all shaft coupling bolts and check the shaft alignment as well.

Diagnosed and fixed stern thruster that had decided not to operate just after we started on our maiden voyage.

Replaced leaking lower helm shaft seal.

Removed funky ballast of short sections of scrap 2" stainless shaft that had been duct taped in on port side and am searching for some (heavier) lead ballast to properly install in same location. Hopefully this will mitigate in whole or in part the slight stbd list.

Removed the port and stbd name boards for refinishing and renaming.

Last but not least is for the boatyard (nest spring) to fix some stress cracks in the gelcoat on the topsides under forward caprails and in one rub strake.

I'm sure that the list will grow before it gets shorter.
Attached Images

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Dave,

Dang! That's a short season you have up there in Maine! I*really hope you are retired or semi-retired and that you manage to get out on your boat more than just at weekends!*I don't supposed my boating is anything like as pretty as yours, but I am lucky enough to get out close to 50 weekends a year. Looking forward to seeing your RPM/speed/consumption figures and hearing more about your experiences with your new IG*when she splashes down next May!

Clever table solution. If your engine compartment access is anything like mine, you will want to double check that your new table still gives you unrestricted access to the hatch, and that the hatch can open all the way.

When construction started on my boat early in 2007, the PMM was a great source of info, help and answers to my questions. I met Walt there with whom I continue to be in regular contact. I also came across Jeff Sigl (PMM call sign "JethroBD") who was much help but with whom I have lost contact for several months. Anyhow, Jeff has a 2002 Island Gypsy 39 Eurosedan which he picked up a few years ago. He lives in Massachusetts, but keeps the boat in Portsmouth,*RI. I dunno if he spends much time online anymore, or if he has signed up to TrawlerForum, but he might be a useful resource for you given that your boats are close sisters and you are geographically not that far apart. I suspect you really know your stuff, but you might still want to look him up on PMM.

I have a meeting and sea trials with my boat builder reps this saturday. These guys have been bleeding my steering hydraulics to death over the last few months, despite which I am forever stuck with a bit of air in the system that affects my steering to port. Am bringing an independent surveyor with me in an effort to get this fixed once and for all before long. Bad timing perhaps, but my autopilot will be installed next week probably. No bad thing perhaps, as the AP installer might have a knack for bleeding hydraulics that the builders' rep does not have. Will see.

Best, Mark
boogiediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mark:

Yes indeed, the boating season is short here. Way, way too short. I'm in withdrawal already. And, our MG driving season is just about over as we had to put the tops (hoods?) up on the cars the other day and soon they will be putting salt (death to old cars) on the road when the snows come. I'm trying to think of the positive reasons why we live here. Well, my wife is a ski nut, its beautiful country and there are no crowds. Can't think of any other reasons at the moment. Hibernation time.

Retired? Nope. Semi-retired. Have been so all my working life as I am a self unemployed real estate lawyer. Right now the real estate market is moribund so I might as well be fully retired.

Hatches/table. Have 4 hatches to engine compartment. Moving the mock up table around I found I could get two of the small ones to port open (they just lift straight up and out as they are not hinged) to give me access to get in there and do the daily engine etc checks. To open them all at the same time may require taking the top off the table and moving it out of the cabin.

Good luck with your bleeding steering (er, bleeding your steering) and autopilot install. Our boat came with AP and I must say that its fun to use in the right conditions. 25 knot of wind going downwind does not qualify as such.

I can't seem to find any relevant threads on the PMM site. Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 11-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Semi-retired must be nice... That's what I want one day!

JethroBD used to communicate a bit on the Island Gypsy Owners group on the PMM site (where you can also see some photos of my boat under construction). He and I took our once frequent communications off-line. I notice that he last logged in about 2 months ago...

http://www.passagemaker.com/PassageM...8/Default.aspx

Mark
Old 05-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Dave: I was just reviewing some of your writings on your 32' IG, specifically the PO's mention of getting 2.9 gph at 7.9 kts. That's certainly inline with what I'm experiencing at the same speed. I can't remember if you have a FloScan or if the PO calculated the fuel burn by other means.

Also, I was scanning all the projects that you outlined for the boat and was wondering just how many you completed.

Walt*
Attached Thumbnails
new performance chart (e-mail).jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

"Roll Call" For Gourmet Cruisers and Island Gypsies

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

Dave: I was just reviewing some of your writings on your 32' IG, specifically the PO's mention of getting 2.9 gph at 7.9 kts. That's certainly inline with what I'm experiencing at the same speed. I can't remember if you have a FloScan or if the PO calculated the fuel burn by other means.

Also, I was scanning all the projects that you outlined for the boat and was wondering just how many you completed.

Walt
Hi Walt:

Well, we are in the water at least. The afternoon that we brought the boat 20 miles from the yard to out mooring, the fog came in thick. Turned on radar but scanner would not rotate and then the alternator packed up. But we made it. Now the alternator and radome are off to hospital for diagnosis and treatment. Boat not going anywhere til fixed.

Can't confirm the fuel figures yet. No Floscan. Will calc over season based on hours/gallons between fill ups.

As to my list of things I was going to do, they are pretty well done.

Exterior, lazarette and engine room lights now work. Speedo log now works (needed new paddle wheel/sender unit)

Anchor pulpit rebuilt and reinstalled with second roller.

Lazarette hatch rebuilt

I found a way to put a return fuel line to stbd tank and put in new fuel valves/manifold on filter board so that I can run off either tank or both now.

New Arrigoni high/low table made for us and on board. Its beautiful and works nicely and will allow a guest or guest couple to overnight with us comfortably.

Prop reconned and reinstalled with new coupling bolts. Smooth as silk now.

Replaced leaking lower helm shaft seal.

Removed funky ballast of short sections of scrap 2" stainless shaft that had been duct taped in on port side by PO to attempt to correct a noticeable stbd list and bought some lead scrap which I melted down and poured into wooden molds with a dowel inserted in the center thereof. The molds were sized to fit the area that the ss shaft came out of and the holes where the dowels were allowed me to insert a threaded rod through the resulting lead plates to draw them tight together and secure them. Added 265lbs but will remove a couple of plates (about 20lbs each) as we now have a very slight port list.

Port and stbd name boards refinished.

Stress cracks in the gelcoat on the topsides under forward caprails and in one rub strake all fixed.

Installed a fresh water washdown system with quick connect outlets on port and stbd sides.

Thought that I had fixed the NF stern thruster. Stuck brushes. Worked for awhile but acting up again. Will have to do w/o it for this season and take it off in fall for rebuilding. No biggie.

Put together out of ss tubing and installed a* "staple" on the center rear of the swim platform for assistance in embarking and debarking. Very nice addition and much appreciated by wife.

Electronics guy is also in process of decoupling the autopilot from the chartplotter (the gps receiver currently feeds through the AP first before going to chartplotter and there was conflict occuring involving the flux gate/gyro compasses and the chartplotter that was driving us crazy and, if the AP ever failed, we would then lose the chartplotter). We'd rather have the two systems separate. Having the AP be able to follow a route w/o human interaction is not something we consider particularly useful and also reminds us of several boats we've seen in the past just steaming along with no one visible near the helm.

Numerous other small things done or to be done.

Will have to wait on a davit system for now til our old boat sells (We had a buyer who defaulted at the penultimate hour because he had to pay Uncle Sam insted of us. He* lost his significant deposit.)

-- Edited by dwhatty on Thursday 28th of May 2009 11:09:01 AM
Old 05-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #27
Guru

Man!!!!* You've been busy!* What a laundry list! It's time to start "enjoying" and put everything else, that doesn't affect safety, off to next year.

Walt
Old 05-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
I agree 100% with Seahorse II. Get out on the water, but be safe! I am not a Halvorsen boater but pick ONE major item per year, do it, and boat in between.
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I totally agree with both of you. First year of "new" boat (car, house, whatever) one tries to get the all in order, but its easy to go overboard. As soon as the electronics are up to snuff (tomorrow the guy says), its time to enjoy the boat for the season. But....with the down economy and my business slow, working on the boat the last few months has been fun and has kept me occupied and from going nutso. My wife, understanding soul that she is, has told me to just enjoy my "time off" and the work on her namesake and I always listen to "She Who Must Be Obeyed".
Old 07-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #30

Here's another entry into the armada: 44' Island Gypsy "Mystic Gypsy". Pictures and narrative to follow...
GeneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboard GeneO. Thought that you might be from Mystic, Conn., with a boat name like that, but I see from your Bio that you are from the impoverished left coast.

David (From the impoverished Maine coast).

-- Edited by dwhatty on Thursday 9th of July 2009 03:00:07 PM
Old 07-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Not hugely exciting for you, but just to give you a flavor of what I've been doing with "Beluga" recently.... had 14 colleagues on board on Saturday for a day of fun and a beach clean-up. I missed World Ocean's Day, so figured we'd do something good now....

The south west monsoon is currently bringing far too much non-biodegradable waste from the mouth of the Pearl River into Hong Kong and onto our beaches. Yuck! We collected 200-300lbs of trash - mostly plastics ranging from disintegrating plastic packaging to syringes and other used medical containers, including a blood sample!

It was a lovely little cove and beach, but not somewhere I typically go to in the current SW monsoon season!

A few photos...
Attached Thumbnails
mch_6199.jpg   mch_6234.jpg   mch_6242.jpg   mch_6246.jpg   mch_6214_2.jpg  

Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #33
Guru

Very nice to see civic minded people at work, helping to clean up our oceans and spread the word to others.

My question, however, is what is the placarded occupancy of your boat? Mine is 10. Does your extra 2 feet allow and additional 4 people on board?
Attached Thumbnails
picture 1.jpg  
Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Mine is 16, but I won't be in a hurry to invite that many people on board again! The extra 2' makes for a very comfortable cockpit in which I have seating to fit 6 comfortably before I bring out directors chairs. On saturday, there were generally 4 in cockpit, 3 inside (chinese girls often prefer to be indoors), 4 on flybridge and 4 on foredeck. At times there were as many as 8 on the bridge, but only in calm waters; I quickly sent 4 of them downstairs when faced with a following sea.

Greatest enjoyment is when we are max. 6 people on board, although I am now reconsidering that view after a solo day out on Sunday... turns out nothing beats a few hours of R+R on one's own!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
boogiediver wrote:

" although I am now reconsidering that view after a solo day out on Sunday... turns out nothing beats a few hours of R+R on one's own!"
That statement pretty much sums up my normal cruising day. My friends can't understand how going alone can be so enjoyable. When I get back to the slip after a 2 hour jaunt, a feeling of euphoria sweeps over me that is hard to explain. It continues to occupy my mind for hours, even when I'm at home. If I could bottle that feeling and sell it, I would be cruising in a much bigger boat.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

A Halvorsen in Paradise with friends.
Attached Thumbnails
labor day gam2009.jpg  
Old 09-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #37
Guru

Dave;

I only see one anchor line and it's on a sail boat! Did you have to supply power for everyone? <grin> Man, that's livin!

Walt
Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Walt. (There is actually another Walt in our harbor with an IG32 sedan).

No, the 47' yawl on the other side of the raft had an anchor out as well. We usually let the heavy (much heavier) blow boats set their anchors and then remora on to them. Still, we had a blow that night and, since the tides swirled us all around and with the added component of entangled lobster traps and rodes, we dragged a couple of hundred feet during the night. No probs as the yawl, with her deeper draft stuck in the mud, kept the rest of us floating.

Did not supply power to them. We are all used to 12v living. We hardly ever use our genset.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 8th of September 2009 03:09:41 PM
Old 09-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #39
Guru

Dave:*

Sorry for the tardy reply but I've been traveling to see my brand new grandson in Arizona.

I'd be interested in seeing the "other Walt's 32 IG Sedan. Tell him to join the site and post a few photos. When you say it's a sedan, I'm assuming it has no flybridge.

Walt
Attached Thumbnails
img_2636.jpg  
Old 09-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

Dave:*

Sorry for the tardy reply but I've been traveling to see my brand new grandson in Arizona.

I'd be interested in seeing the "other Walt's 32 IG Sedan. Tell him to join the site and post a few photos. When you say it's a sedan, I'm assuming it has no flybridge.

Walt
Hi Walt:

The other IG32 does have a flybridge but it does not have the "Euro sedan" cockpit and side overhangs. I'll send the owners an email about this site. He did post once on the Passagemaker IG board.