Old 03-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #201
Guru

The fuel consumption and cruise speed seem realistic enough. They are economical engines. I suggest looking into parts availability for Tempest marinization parts, you should be ok for the Ford parts. I have Lehmans, but it`s the same base engine.
My Owners Manual shows the LWL as 32ft 10",for the fibreglass version. No info is given for wooden versions.
Do you mean 3-4M swells? If so, it should cope if they are not breaking, but if you mean wind waves....NO. I experienced 2 M waves forward of beam on,didn`t enjoy it at all. They are a good coastal cruiser, but choose your days.
Are you retaining the shipwright who maintains the boat for the seller as your surveyor? If so,an unusual arrangement.
I keep an eye on IG36s on the market, I`ve not seen this one. There was a wooden one sold on Lake Macquarie recently,but I think it had the aft cabin.
The usual problem with IGs like this is deck issues top and bottom and window issues(rot), and resulting water ingress. Rusty steel fuel tanks are possible, esp the tops with water ingress,but mine and (I think) 2 other Australian early 1980s 36s on TF still have original tanks.
With a wooden boat the hull is an obvious concern, but same applies to the fiberglass versions prone to osmosis.
Feel free to ask anything further. Other members may have other thoughts.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:35 AM   #202

City: Greenwell Point
Vessel Name: Amelia
Vessel Model: Compass Northerner
Thanks Bruce, that's very helpful.

Here's an image of Amicus:

My partner looked her over this afternoon (on the slip until Friday; I will help the owner take her off) and she said. "It's very high"; she means the windage/freeboard. I thought the same; this is one of the disadvantages of semi-displacement hulls, I feel. I volunteer with Marine Rescue; we always seem to do rescues in poor weather and that almost always means moderate to strong winds. The IGs have decent keels, but there's not a lot of mass below the waterline to counteract that windage. That's just concepts, of course—what are they like in reality?

In my question, I was referring to a combination of wind and swell; this place is not called "windy point" for nothing!

The shipwright is retained by the owner; the boat is not on the market, but may be. The situation is that the owner is "thinking about selling" and I happen to live near the slips, so I see everything that goes up.

The deck has been replaced around the halfway point of the boat's life, I was told today.

Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #203
Veteran Member

HK wood hull

I had no idea they made a wooden hulled IG. Sorry but I'm no help
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #204

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Hi Kit,

Our Malagari is the fiberglass version of your boat (you know you want it)

There is at least a meter of "grip" in the water, plus the resistance of the keel plus the weight of the boat all up. Yes, they have windage but no more than other boats of this size and are not pushed around nearly as much as the plastic fantastics (planing boats).

Re sea keeping, Just to add to Bruce - IG and similar boats of this ilk are not designed to be blue water passage makers - start taking water over the bow in any quantity and everything downstairs will get wet - through the forward hatch, the side windows and the helm door. Flat water and the carefully planned coastal hop - perfect - but being forced to sea for a rescue in poor weather would create a huge pucka factor (for me anyway)

Great looking boat though - even if it was upside down
Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #205

City: Greenwell Point
Vessel Name: Amelia
Vessel Model: Compass Northerner
I inserted that image a few times and rotated it 180, resaved it rotated, and yet each time the system put it in upside down... no doubt some hacker kung fu I seem not to have is needed! Can anyone reveal the secret? And I seem not to be able to edit that post today—does that capacity disappear after a period of time?

And to George: thank you for that info on heavy weather capacity.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #206
Guru

Interesting, pic was right side up in the TF email, I think on the Forum it`s to show we are "downunder".
That boat is unusual for timber, it`s a Europa version, extended upper decks covering walkways and cockpit,and probably some other features. How many sleeping cabins does it have?
The IG bow design is high, but the rest of the boat is typical. As Brisboy says, there is good underwater resistance to sideways windage movement due to the keel and hard chines.
I think Kong & Halvorsen stopped producing wooden 36s before ceasing larger ones in wood,my 1981 manual indicates they were still building larger models in wood. If your choice is an IG,the build quality is good, I`m not sure a wood hull is such a disadvantage considering the osmosis in f/g ones.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:23 PM   #207
Guru

Check the hull timber. I know of an IG 50, built in meranti,which sank. Good furniture substitute for red cedar, resembles teak,but not good for boatbuilding.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #208

City: Seattle
Hello fellow Halvorsen owners. Quick question... I'm looking for any information regarding the windows, window frames and rubber glazing bead used on the Gourmet Cruisers.

We have a 2003 and need to reseal a front window. Not sure how the frames can be removed. Also, the rubber glazing on some of the windows is missing.

Thanks Much
John L.
MV Nordhus
Seattle

AlkiJL is offline   Reply With Quote