New Owner of 1987 Island Gypsy 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is somewhat location dependent... I use to keep my props raw (no coatings), but would dive under 3-4 times of year and scrub them clean. Now I have Petit coating sprayed on and it keeps the running gear clean from growth.
Thank you I will investigate my location situation.

Trip down the Tenn-Tom

Some of my pictures from the trip and haul out.
Congratulations, Vadim, on your new acquisition. I, too, bought an IG this year, an 1984 IG32 with a single SP135. Picked it up in the Everglades taking it to Pensacola for a haul-out during July. Then brought it up the Tenn-Tom mid-August to GTB. I may have passed you as I was heading upstream?
I love the ship, of course there are issues. But nothing that I can't handle.

Congratulations, Vadim, on your new acquisition. I, too, bought an IG this year, an 1984 IG32 with a single SP135. Picked it up in the Everglades taking it to Pensacola for a haul-out during July. Then brought it up the Tenn-Tom mid-August to GTB. I may have passed you as I was heading upstream?
I love the ship, of course there are issues. But nothing that I can't handle.

Congratulations to you too. IG's are fine vessels I am enjoying my boat, I hope that you would enjoy yours. I am somewhat become familiar with my setup. If you have any questions, just ask if not me someone among seasoned IG owners will be able to help. Have a safe trip. As far as my trip we started June 9 and on June 23 we were in Savannah, GA. We took 1 week brake. Than on the 4th of July week we brought it up to Chesapeake Bay Pasadena, MD. Her new home.

Vadim,it is common practice to antifoul running gear (props/shafts/struts) as well as the hull. Otherwise they typically collect barnacles and other marine growth,which apart from slowing the boat can create unbalance and vibration,and perhaps even premature wear on bearings, etc. Hard antifoul, as opposed to soft ablative antifoul is often used,as movement causes ablative a/f to wear away too fast.
Many boats substitute Propspeed or similar, a silicone type coating,which is very effective but costs quite a lot more.
Hard antifoul will have a primer on bare metal, before 2 coats or more of hard a/f are applied. Which explains why the coatings are resisting removal. You may be able to recoat without going back to bare metal if the coatings are sound, though it sounds as if it is too late for that.
Fouling varies area to area,as said above. Boatyards or neighbours should know your area`s needs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom