Old 05-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Rockville, MD.
Vessel Name: Libra
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Trawler
This is exactly how I would envision and do it. If you do not mind me asking what kind of engines your boat equipped with?

Vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #22

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
This is exactly how I would envision and do it. If you do not mind me asking what kind of engines your boat equipped with?
Hi Vadin,

If you are referring to my post, we have twin SP135 Ford Lehmans.
The battery set up on your boat may have started out as ours did but they are ginormous batteries and well past the ability of my back to lift them so someone may have substituted a number of smaller batteries to make it easier to replace them.

BTW, if you want to nail exactly who you are asking the question of, use the quote button at the bottom of the post

Brisyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #23
Guru

My boat has the same battery set up as Brisboy, the standard system,even carried across to some Integrity boats.We still have 8Ds. No dedicated house bank, the batts do start and house, not usual but it works.The genset is your backup, do not use the genset batt for anything else, I gave mine its own solar charger.
With all those batts you may have a dedicated house bank, a better set up. You might need to get an electrician in to work out which batt does what. If you have 2 start,one genset,maybe a thruster batt or 2,you get to 4 or 5,the other 2 might be house. There will be charging connectors somewhere.
If you get someone to help in early for the delivery trip,they should have the knowledge to check the systems,if only for their own safety on the trip.
I still have the original Newmar charger, ancient but works well. I have solar for the main batts as well.Test batts before you start replacing. Same with the charger. Good batts "bleed" into less good tired ones so replacing all batts in one group is a good idea.
The systems will seem challenging at first, but IGs are well designed and built, you will come to grips with it, as you work on parts of it, you learn. Keep asking questions as you work through it.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
welcome and best of luck
Old 05-10-2018, 07:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Thank you. Just an update. Yesterday I went to a marine store and got three new AGM batteries two for engine's and one smaller one for generator new xentrack charger with remote all necessary O ring crimp connectors. I am going to marina today after work for a weekend.
BruceK By any chance you know your batteries characteristics, because I get confused between owners manual for lehmann engines suggest 120ah batteries, factory suggest 420 cranking amp. Most of others say manual is 30+ years old and technology went far away. Get modern marine batteries and new charger and enjoy your boat. Well I some what agree with this thought, but I also follow the fact that that same boat has 30+ years old wiring. Any thoughts?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Myers
For wiring it all depends on the environment, my boat's wiring is 30 years old and fine, but certainly you need fresh batteries and today's battery charger technology is FAR better then that of 30 years ago that would cook your batteries if left unattended. All the best!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
For wiring it all depends on the environment, my boat's wiring is 30 years old and fine, but certainly you need fresh batteries and today's battery charger technology is FAR better then that of 30 years ago that would cook your batteries if left unattended. All the best!
Thank you.

OMG BruceK I just check what is 8D batteries look like - it is a suit case and a half.
2250 cold cranking amps??? Why?? Could some one explain??
https://bdbatteries.com/products/nor...8aAulGEALw_wcB
And this is the one I bought yesterday
https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...4m/sli24agmdpm

I am just learning from experienced trawler owners.
I will post some pictures after this weekend.
Thank you all again.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:01 PM   #28
Guru

Vadim, I`m thinking 8D batts, commonly called 200Ah batts here(though some are now really around 250Ah) were less developed 35 years ago, and something smaller will do some jobs these days. Remember, in the IG set up, they do both start and house,so they need capacity.
From memory, my 8Ds are 200/240Ah,and 1200/1450 CCA. The Onan manual specifies a 150Ah batt(is there a 6D?),huge for starting a 3cyl Kubota dsl,but it has to do a preheat first.
The big problem with 8Ds is size and weight,I think they were intended to be lifted into trucks using a small forklift, not by 2 men at risk of a back injury shoehorning one into a boat.
If as I think, you intend the batt you bought to do house and start, you may be able to put 2 of them together in the box where the 8D used to sit, otherwise I don`t think you have enough capacity. Doing that twice,ie 4 batts in total, gets spendy. Lots of US TF guys get other kinds of batt a lot cheaper than than your choice, and I`m unfamiliar with batts over there,so I hope they chime in and make suggestions. I`ll PM someone who might help.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:44 AM   #29

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Vadim, I`m thinking 8D batts, commonly called 200Ah batts here(though some are now really around 250Ah) were less developed 35 years ago, and something smaller will do some jobs these days. Remember, in the IG set up, they do both start and house,so they need capacity.
From memory, my 8Ds are 200/240Ah,and 1200/1450 CCA. The Onan manual specifies a 150Ah batt(is there a 6D?),huge for starting a 3cyl Kubota dsl,but it has to do a preheat first.
The big problem with 8Ds is size and weight,I think they were intended to be lifted into trucks using a small forklift, not by 2 men at risk of a back injury shoehorning one into a boat.
If as I think, you intend the batt you bought to do house and start, you may be able to put 2 of them together in the box where the 8D used to sit, otherwise I don`t think you have enough capacity. Doing that twice,ie 4 batts in total, gets spendy. Lots of US TF guys get other kinds of batt a lot cheaper than than your choice, and I`m unfamiliar with batts over there,so I hope they chime in and make suggestions. I`ll PM someone who might help.
Bruce , you are correct of course re size and capacity, although as a start battery they get little stress - I doubt the starter motors on our Lehmans have to crank them more than a quarter of the fly wheel before they fire and with all lights converted to LEDs they aren`t stressed there. We don`t have an inverter - the main stress comes from the elect flush toilet with a minimul amount for the sewerage treatment plant (chlorine injection pump). I guess LEDs have changed the battery equation.

My gut feeling is we could get away with two "car" size batteries per engine - one for start and two for house.
Brisyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #30
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
I've come in late on this thread, so first things first, welcome to the wonderful world of the Trawler Forum.Secondly, welcome to the IG boat owners division. It is generally agreed on the forum (at least by fellow IG members) that the IG owners are the most erudite, knowledgeable, affable types.

To some extent we have to be, because as has been already noted, virtually no two IG's are the same, and unless you have the original specs you will need time & patience putting the jigsaw together. Still it's fun & you will get there.

Having seven batteries intrigued me, as did where they put them? Sounds like someone decided the original monsters were too unwieldy and opted for the smaller golf buggy types.

I would strongly support the idea, already posted, that you hire a capable mechanic/electrician to do the once over on the boat and make notes as to the setup of your boat.It won't tell you everything about the boat but it would be a very good base to start from. This I believe would be money well spent.

The only other observation that comes to mind is the boat usage. You mentioned that the OP has rarely used the boat in the last couple of years, this is not good, diesels need use. I would carefully check all rubber connections in the cooling system, fuel quality etc.

If I understand you, you intend to pick her up and undertake a fairly long trip to where she will be berthed. If you have the time, it would be a good idea to do some small trips, to run her up first before undertaking the long delivery trip. This may help you iron out any glitches that occur, rather than having to order some parts and sort things out in the middle of nowhere.That can sour the love affair pretty quickly.

Best of luck & post some pic's when you have time.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:09 AM   #31
Guru

Vadim,how about pics of the 7 batts location and 2 extra fuel tanks across the ER.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:01 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Well, here is my post weekend report. It was total of 9 nine batteries on board in 4 four different locations. Port engine side has fiberglass batteries holding box had 2 parallel connected batteries, under the generator same size box had 2 batteries, one was connected to generator and the other one was parallel connection to stb side batteries bank of 2. But then there was another location of 3 golf cart type batteries parallel connected together (6 volt) and then in serious connected to stb bank of 3 parallel connected 12 volt batteries. Complete nonsense. All of them were removed. All jerry-rigged wiring as well were removed. Now I only have 3 batteries one per engine and one for generator. The result is a beautiful weekend on water. New xentrack truecharge 2 40amp 3 banks was installed with remote panel. Well I was not imagining such smooth start. Single turn of starter and both engines were running, two spins on generator and it was alive and happy. Honestly I think she likes me. I give her well needed bath and off we went for 3 hour ride. which was nothing but joy. She behaved very well. At first both engines produced allot of white smoke. 30-40 min on water and everything cleared. I opened throttle up to see how she would behave. Well she was trying to go on plane. I found out that the most comfortable rpm is arround 1600. She was doing 8.7 knots without any struggle and we'll leveled.
I have to correct myself about water tanks. There was total of 3 stainless steel tanks. One under each bed in the aft cabin and one in lazaret. Fuel tanks ( I was correct) all four of them are in the engine room. As I was told side port and stb tanks are called day tanks and two center tanks are storages. All I have left to figured out is the fuel system. I know for sure that there is no fuel transfer/polishing system between the tanks. And there is somewhat complicated fuel distribution valve system. That is the only thing left on my list.
I will update this thread as I go. I have to learn how to post pictures an videos here. Many thanks to all of you. I am sure I will have more questions.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:18 AM   #33
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. V. Atta boy! Keep at it. 9 batteries? NINE ? Shocking!

Old 05-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #34
Guru

Good progress Vadim. I suspect there is an interconnect/equalization between at least the 2 standard fuel tanks.
You seem to have taken the batts back to the likely original design and now have no dedicated house bank. What you had was a good idea in principle, if not execution, There is a reason they were there, other than ballast.
As you are now using the boat you will be using the refrigeration system? Eutectic? Otherwise it`s often the major demand on your battery system. The PO was using all those batts for something.

Any solar panels fitted?
Have the (probable) incandescent 25watt 12v house light bulbs been replaced with LEDs?If not, it`s an easy rewarding fix.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #35
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
At least it doesn't look like this. Not mine BTW!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CompleteMess.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	76312  
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:00 AM   #36
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Cripes!

That could almost qualify for the Darwin Awards.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:03 AM   #37
Guru

City: Anacortes
I canít even joke about that picture
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Good progress Vadim. I suspect there is an interconnect/equalization between at least the 2 standard fuel tanks.
You seem to have taken the batts back to the likely original design and now have no dedicated house bank. What you had was a good idea in principle, if not execution, There is a reason they were there, other than ballast.
As you are now using the boat you will be using the refrigeration system? Eutectic? Otherwise it`s often the major demand on your battery system. The PO was using all those batts for something.

Any solar panels fitted?
Have the (probable) incandescent 25watt 12v house light bulbs been replaced with LEDs?If not, it`s an easy rewarding fix.
BruceK would you be kind to drop the link to where I can buy the LED replacement bolbs.
No solar panels fitted.
As far as house battery and refrigerator. I noted that 3 zone AC, refrigerator and stove while running on generator do not produce significant load on 120 volt system. Generator fuel consumption is somewhere near 1 Gph. I am not planning to run generator all the time. Refrigerator is dual voltage. I also noted that alternators doing pretty good job charging batteries. I am planning to improve her, but first thing first. Gotta bring her home. It will be a great 2-3 week journey from Tennessee river to Chesapeake Bay.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #39
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
BruceK would you be kind to drop the link to where I can buy the LED replacement bolbs.
http://marinebeam.com

Is a good high quality source for LED's
Old 05-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #40

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Since IG's seem to be semi custom made and you don't have a reliable PO to ask you will need to get with a knowledgeable friend and start from scratch. Make a drawing of all mechanical systems and every hose that goes to each component and the purpose of the hose. Label all of the hoses. Do the same with major wires. Seven batteries seems like overkill unless they are six volt golf cart batteries and are hooked in series. As a previous navy machinist mate this is the way each new crew member learned the engine room and fire room. No previous crew mate would answer any questions until you were finished mapping everything out. It was tough love, but it worked and it sounds like it may be your only option.
Are there any other similar size and age trawlers in your marina? Particularly Taiwan built boats. If so, get friendly with the owner, buy him a few beers and ask for some help with your drawing.
good luck
John

johnma is offline   Reply With Quote