New Halvorsen/ Island Gypsy Site on Yahoo.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NorthWest Trawlers is asking for suggestions that will make the IG 34 cost less and make it a better cruising yacht.* islandgypsyusa : Island Gypsy Trawlers

Although I love my Gourmet cruiser 32, I did not buy it new as I thought the "Landed in the US" price was too high. I waited and finally came accross a 2005 that I negotiated a fair price on. A new 34, however, with a Cummins electronic engine, is a better boat!

Some items that I question are:

1) Can the cost of shipping (freight) the boats from China be reduced?
2) Is the manufacture's profit margin too high? Ditto the dealer?
3) At trawler speeds, 7-12 knots, will the market pay $10,000/ft. for a new boat of this** size?
4) Smaller engines? (For an 8 knot cruise?)

I hate to suggest lower quality as high quality was the reason I bought my boat in the first place!

What do the rest of you Halvo drivers think?

Walt

Attachments

• img_2114.jpg
    img_2114.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 147
I wouldn't have been able to afford mine had there been an agent involved and had the brand owners not been willing to help accommodate my limited budget. An irreplicable deal now that Halvo again have a dealer here in Hong Kong. Freight element of the delivered price must have been minimal given the short distance from the yard across the Pearl river Delta to Hong Kong. Given the deal I got I can't complain about much.

If you want faster with better finish, you're looking probably at Sabre and GB Eastbay... different ball park. Clipper do IG style boats (Euro sedans?) which are reasonably priced I think. But again they are built nearby and HK delivered prices must be very different to US delivered.

Incidentally, I had a good look at a GB41 at boat show yesterday leaving my drool all over the boat! I believe one can get 3 Clipper 40s for the same price, or 2 Clipper 48s!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom