Long Range Tanks for IG's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
When we bought our IG 36 circa 1981,*I read the original spec sheets and brochures that came with the boat.

*After getting to know her I discovered, apart from the standard 2 fuel & 2 water tanks an extra water tank under the forward v berth holding 73 gallons and an extra fuel tank running across the engine/aft cabin bulkhead holding*70 gallons.

After having a chat with one of the guys that worked for the Halvorsen yard in HK in the 1980's,*I discovered *these tanks were optional long distance tanks that could be ordered at the time of construction.

In this configuration we can hold 454 gallons of fuel & 200 gallons of water.The water capacity is great , but the fuel is way over the top.

I am wondering how many of you IG owners have boats with a similar set up.*

Our 32 only had the standard 2 fuel and one water.

What type of metal is the water tank made of?

JohnP

JohnP wrote:
Same here. That's the first time I ever heard of an IG having extra tanks.

SeaHorse II wrote:

JohnP wrote:
Same here. That's the first time I ever heard of an IG having extra tanks.

Ditto

The water tanks appear to be the usual mild steel tanks, theyr'e in pretty good condition which is more than I can say for the fuel tanks

shrimp wrote:

The water tanks appear to be the usual mild steel tanks, theyr'e in pretty good condition which is more than I can say for the fuel tanks
********* My water tank*is not steel, a magnet will*not stick.* The fittings appear to be soldered in so I do not think it is aluminum.* ( We do not drink the water so not worried about any lead content).

********* JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Friday 11th of February 2011 01:05:27 PM

Hi all,

I am new to the forum,

Our boat has the extra tankage and its great! I take fuel once per season and we go 2 weeks with three on board with no water shortage.

The best boat I have every owned!

Screwdriversteve wrote:

Hi all,

I am new to the forum,

Our boat has the extra tankage and its great! I take fuel once per season and we go 2 weeks with three on board with no water shortage.

The best boat I have every owned!
Welcome aboard. Please give us the details on your boat. Pics too, if you can. The Halvorsen section continues to grow!

Andy,
Keep the fuel tanks in the best condition you can.
In my opinion you can never carry too much fuel.
Water can be made with very little weight addition, but a little cost.
Fuel you can't make .
If you plan on cruising up the coast that extra fuel could sure come in handy.

Benn

Hi Guys,
Our IG36,Doriana, has the usual rusting twin side fuel tanks (marked up at 450/500L each), the usual twin side water tanks, a water tank under the forward berth (overflows into the bilge when full exercising the bilge pumps) and a large rectangular water tank in the aft lazarette(no one mentioned one of these, thus this belated post). With all tanks full,she seems to handle better,more steady,less bounce (hard to describe),more comfortably,seems to like the extra weight. BruceK

So you have four water tanks Bruce? I often wondered if the lazerette on the IG's could be used if the fuel tanks gave up the ghost. I dread to think about the time & money involved in replacing the tanks in a IG twin 36'.

I know some of the GB's use the lazerete for fuel/water tanks, not sure how that would affect the stability,if at all.

I agree with your 'less bounce' theory, Sarawana seems to like a full load on board. , she seems to plough through the water more rather than riding on top, less roll.

I wonder if the fuel tanks ever became unuseable is it possible to use the main water tanks as fuel tanks, and install another water tank in the lazeraette?

Over the last couple of days we have been anti rusting and painting our fuel tanks, to ensure rust doesn't get too much of a hold.Just finished two days of climbing through the EB like a demented Houdini.

Andy,the 4 tanks only reinforce my partner`s belief the boat is permanently connected to Warragamba Dam. I guess you can change the use of a tank,just get all the old fluid out first, though sometimes my stbd fuel tank tries to double as a water tank.
The diesel mechanic thinks my tanks need the tops scraping,which might quickly become holes,and applying epoxy and plates. I think it`s a job for an expert, says he`s done it before, beats new tanks.
Had any experience with rain water entry to the fwd,(I only have one) head,port side? I need to recaulk the decks, I`ve done the obvious seams adjacent to the cabin and obvious defects, for no result. I suspect water is getting under the teak generally. If I can`t solve it being onboard I`m asking a lot of someone who has not seen it. BruceK

Back
Top Bottom