Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

City: Spring Lake
listing to port

I never paid attention to my boat listing a bit, (3-5 degree) but my slip neighbors thought to be odd. I'm using the center tank for fresh water, and the starboard side for fuel possibly 150 gal and everything else is centered. The generator is mid ship center and the batteries are balanced on each side. I been told that possibly she is sitting in the mud with the bow and just leaning. The hull is solid glass, no core to soak up water. It takes 3 people to bring her back to level. Does anyone else have that issue. Is it just a quirk with Island Gypsy's or is there something that I need to have a look at. No water in the bilge, nothing unusual that I can find. So any suggestions will be most welcome.
sunvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvale View Post
I never paid attention to my boat listing a bit, (3-5 degree) but my slip neighbors thought to be odd. I'm using the center tank for fresh water, and the starboard side for fuel possibly 150 gal and everything else is centered. The generator is mid ship center and the batteries are balanced on each side. I been told that possibly she is sitting in the mud with the bow and just leaning. The hull is solid glass, no core to soak up water. It takes 3 people to bring her back to level. Does anyone else have that issue. Is it just a quirk with Island Gypsy's or is there something that I need to have a look at. No water in the bilge, nothing unusual that I can find. So any suggestions will be most welcome.
It's pretty hard to get a vessel level with just the equipment and tankage. Generally you have to add ballast, and my guess is that is about all you need. You can add lead shot to heavy duty truck tire bags made by cutting the tires up in 12" sections and using a strong wire tie to seal off one end, with another tie to seal off the other end after filling. These you can stick most anyplace, and they will conform, more or less, to the shape of wherever you stick them. In my case, they sit under the genset. Sounds like you need 400# or so on one side. Unless of course you are in the mud, in which case you need a bit more water!
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Not sure how your IG is configured, regarding water/fuel tanks. Most that I am aware of have two water outerside tanks centered and two fuel tanks slighty aft, also outerside.

The water tanks are probably(but not always)linked in that they will self level, however the fuel tanks are usually not self levelling and one fuel tank will also supply the generator, thereby using more fuel.

If this is similar to your system it might be worth checking the amount of fuel each individual tank is holding.When you fuel up do you put the same fuel load in port and starboard each time, if so this may lead to a load discrepancy over time.

RE sitting in the mud, does she still list at high tide?
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Maybe a little rearranging would help even out the weight.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Our IG36 has some lead on the port side of the bilge put there by a PO. It still gets a slight list to stbd,I tried closing off the port water tank to carry it as ballast with little effect, water still somehow got used from the tank.Barring one side of the boat being built heavier,it has to be a result of equipment built in or carried. Try redistributing the liquor supplies.
The IG draws about 4 feet, checking water depth to see if it is on the bottom should be easy. If it is that shallow (unlikely) check your rudder(s) and trailing edge of the keel for damage. You would stir up mud going in and out,you`d see it,and suck it into the raw water strainer,which is not good. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Ours listed to Stbd. I think mainly due to the batteries being on that side. I melted down some lead and made lead ignots that I secured in a couple of places on the Port side. As long as I keep the fuel tanks more or less equally filled, no more list.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #7

I am thinking your genset has her fuel return line going to the port saddle tank.
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Have you searched out all the hidden bilge & locker recesses to locate lead ballast bars? If these exist, it may just be a case of re-distributing them itofavour the high side. If there are none aboard, then getting hold of some eqivalent to the weight of the 3 people you say it takes to level her up might be the solution. ALSO: what about the position of your hot water tank? Could it be moved to the high side?
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
So what are you looking at to determing the boat is not level, swim deck/boot strap?

I would say that is pretty good at any time depending on how full the tanks, water/fuel/waste are, the direction of the wind current, where/how things are stored. The Eagle will list several degrees one way or the other every week depending on how full the water and the waste tank and the direction of the wind. In the winter the Webasto draws from the port tank so once a week transfer fuel from the starboard tank to the port tank until the doors swing/hang shut. If it looks and feel level then its level.

The way I tell if the boat is level is the way the doors hang/swing open, and the water in the sink/toilet. There is basically nothing on the Eagle that is truly level. When remodeling I did everything by eye balling it. If it looks level/even with the surrounding stuff it was good enough.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Guru

There are so many considerations that the list, not the list, is endless. Where are your pots and pans stowed? Where do you keep your tools and spare parts? Where are YOU sitting on the boat when your neighbor sees it falling over? You get the picture. There is a whole lot more than placement of tanks. Some days we list to port and some days we list to starboard and some days the bow is higher and some days the stern is higher. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote