Old 11-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #1

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Line drawing wanted

Has anyone got a line drawing of an IG Europa in profile.

I want to use it as a logo with her name underneath for crew shirts and maybe handtowels and linen.

The simpler the better as it cannot have too much detail for an embroidery

cheers

George
Brisyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
I think there is one in the manual .?
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
Guru

BoatUS - Boat Reviews - Island Gypsy 36
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Just checked my Owners Manual, various schematic drawings but nothing like that.
The BoatUS one is the aft cabin version, whereas the Europa is a "sedan" embellished with Europa add ons. More searching required, or start with a pic.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Just checked my Owners Manual, various schematic drawings but nothing like that.
The BoatUS one is the aft cabin version, whereas the Europa is a "sedan" embellished with Europa add ons. More searching required, or start with a pic.
Do you have a good, clear, profile photo? A lot of the photo processing SW can "posterize" or "outline" and over-contrast a photo and you can get what you need - might take a bit of playing around. Some judicious cutting within the photo editor also needed. I could take a stab at it if you have a good photo.
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
The Owners Manual has various schematic drawings but not this one.The BoatUS review pictures an aft cabin, the Europa is the sedan without the aft cabin but with Europa features added.
Here is a little article by Harvey Halvorsen I found on choosing the IG name. Island Gypsy β€” Halvorsen Boats Who knew American Marine/GB was in liquidation back then? The IG premises in Hong Kong are modest, but I think the real building was going on in mainland China, even then.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The Owners Manual has various schematic drawings but not this one.The BoatUS review pictures an aft cabin, the Europa is the sedan without the aft cabin but with Europa features added.
Here is a little article by Harvey Halvorsen I found on choosing the IG name. Island Gypsy β€” Halvorsen Boats Who knew American Marine/GB was in liquidation back then? The IG premises in Hong Kong are modest, but I think the real building was going on in mainland China, even then.
Just played with a couple of photos from the link. Maybe someone could at least trace something similar to this?
Attached Thumbnails
IGsketch.png   IGoutline.png  
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
I'd like to find a real line drawing of an IG. Or of other "trawlers".

This is a true "line drawing". Hard to find for most of our boats. http://www.america-scoop.com/images/...ILinesDBig.jpg

My skill, such as it is, can make half models from proper line drawings. Not skilled enough to do it from pictures or profiles.

My latest model is of T.O.M. Sopwith's Endeavour 1934:
Attached Thumbnails
Endeavour.jpg  
Old 11-16-2017, 07:25 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
I'd like to find a real line drawing of an IG. Or of other "trawlers".

This is a true "line drawing". Hard to find for most of our boats. http://www.america-scoop.com/images/...ILinesDBig.jpg

My skill, such as it is, can make half models from proper line drawings. Not skilled enough to do it from pictures or profiles.

My latest model of T.O.M. Sopwith's Endeavour 1934:
I think I have a line drawing of different sections of an Alaskan 49 that I got off of the Grand Banks site at work. These two are part of the package I down loaded . I'll check tomorrow on the line drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3345.jpg   IMG_3346.jpg  
Old 11-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
S41
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Model: Currently boatless
Brisyboy's boat Line drawing.jpg

This is your photo put through Photoshop and making it a line drawing out of it. Not sure if it helps or not... I can send you the little file if you send me a PM.
Attached Images

S41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #11
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Here's the most similar one yet I think.

GB 36 prototype "Spray". Said to be the exact same hull of the GB 36.
Considerably more deadrise than the IG, especially aft. And the IG's chines fwd are wider. Probably a more stable boat. At least initially. Marin Fare sent this to me. Sorry but I don't have the IG's lines.

But then a line drawing is not a lines dwg.
Definitely not suitable for a logo.
Attached Thumbnails
Spray Plan Layout 1963 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:12 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Down load the program GIMP. It’s a photoshop like program. Load the closes picture you have. Then either use the outline feature or make your own line drawing by overlaying lines on your drawing. It will take some effort but in the end it will be exactly what you want.

I have done this in the past to engrave images on controll panels.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:01 PM   #13
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisyboy View Post
Has anyone got a line drawing of an IG Europa in profile.

I want to use it as a logo with her name underneath for crew shirts and maybe handtowels and linen.

The simpler the better as it cannot have too much detail for an embroidery

cheers

George
George - Visit Vistaprint... for embroidery on some types of items.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #14
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
David Hawkins, that's lovely! And it's a long way from a lines drawing to that result. Lifts? Buttocks lines or waterlines? Or plank on frame?
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
David Hawkins, that's lovely! And it's a long way from a lines drawing to that result. Lifts? Buttocks lines or waterlines? Or plank on frame?
Lift method. Took a week long course on half model building at the WoodenBoat School a year ago. Lot of fun. If I can find proper line drawings for something like our IG32 I may try the buttock method as it's more suitable for power boat models.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #16
Guru

David, I'll bet you could do a trawler hull with plank on frame faster/easier. These things are pretty much flat or twisted surfaces and strips would warp to the shape readily.

I made a 3' model of a Flying Dutchman, a 20' centerboard planing sloop when I was about 12. I used 1/2" lifts of white pine. It's a pretty lousy job, I'll confess. But, even with aluminum sheet for rudder and cb and muslin sails, it would plane. I sailed it only once; it took off planing quite fast and I was lucky that it made a mistake. I was able to catch it rowing after it.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #17

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, all helpful.

I think the first thing I need to do is find a shot of the boat as near as possible to a side elevation -taken with the camera a bit higher than sitting in the dingy and photoshop that. I have a soon to be son in law who is in the digital media business and has all sorts of clever programs that should reduce a photo down to a simple drawing.

When I get it ready for the embroidery I`ll post it here and make it available to whoever is smart enough to own an IG 36Europa

Ok Ok I now understand it not a line drawing but as far as I can understand its a drawing made up of lines - as opposed to a photo - so please excuse my indiscretion.
Brisyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #18
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Lift method. Took a week long course on half model building at the WoodenBoat School a year ago. Lot of fun. If I can find proper line drawings for something like our IG32 I may try the buttock method as it's more suitable for power boat models.
Could you measure the hull next time out of the water?

Tedious, but doable.

Could laser scan ($$$) or use photogrammetry ($) too. Never know unless you ask. You might get a good deal if they are training new technicians.

I have some, but not all, of the stations for my 26' Nordic Tugs hull on different drawings I've collected. I've thought of doing the measuring myself for the stations I am missing.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #19
Guru

Brisyboy, it's true your post was hijacked. All you want is a nice graphic of your boat for your logo. Some of us enthusiastically jumped into talk of lines drawings which are the way NAs describe and transmit a three dimensional hull shape onto and back off of paper.

Eric, on post 11 above includes a nice graphic that mixes an odd sort of lines drawing with an interior plan. More typically, besides the sections (sections perpendicular to both the planes of the waterline and of the centerline) a lines drawing would include a complete collection of waterlines (horizontal sections parallel to the plane of the waterline) and a complete collection of buttocks lines (longitudinal sections parallel to the plane of the centerline). Many lines drawings have a collection of diagonals which are sections drawn on planes at angles to the waterline. Many lines drawings, like Eric's, have a curve representing how the volume of the below-water hull is distributed (the dashed line at the bottom).

Eric's incomplete graphic of the lines is plenty enough to describe, give a good sense of, the simple shape of a trawler to a layperson. Extending the buttocks lines up past the chine would be confusing to most people. Extending those waterlines that are above the waterline aft along the hull would be pretty boring given the flat shape of the sides of the hull from midships aft. No one could really do much with even a complete set of lines without the accompanying 'table of offsets' which give the measurements to all the intersections of the various lines; it's the offsets that one uses to 'loft', draw the boat out full size, to make pieces or moulds.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #20
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
DHeckrotte,
Think I got that right.
Yes and the propper lines dwg would include the QBBL (quarter beam buttock line) that I’ve used to talk about the difference between FD and SD boats.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote