Island Gypsy jackstaff or bow pennant pole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Exploration under the forward (our only) berth of our 1981 IG36 Doriana, found a teak flagpole with halyard for the post fitting on the bow. Marine chandlers call it a 'pennant pole",Wikipedia calls it a "jackstaff", defined as "a small vertical spar.. in the bow..on which a ..flag known as a jack,is flown". Patriotically we flew the Australian flag for the photo.The background is Tambourine Bay, Lane Cove River,Sydney,where we moor.
Apart from the cleat being plastic instead of the expected bronze,and being moved 90 degrees around the pole due to failed screws, the staff is in excellent condition after 31 years. There is a slot cut in the top to accommodate the halyard. it is a nice piece of woodwork(or "treen"); we intend to put it to regular use.
We have a heavier larger teak pole for the fitting at the stern, complete with rather faded red cloth ensign,it has no halyard.
Was anyone else fortunate enough to acquire one or both of these poles with their IG? If so,would you post a photo.
Bruce K

Attachments

• DSC_1047.jpg
    DSC_1047.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 290
OUr GB has a similar teak jackstaff to yours. We also have the longer stern staff. We fly our club pennant from the jackstaff. We don't use the stern staff becaue the dinghy interferes with it. I have photos of the jackstaff if you think they would be of any use to you. The GB jackstaff looks very similar to yours but the cap at the top has a different profile to the IG's.

Marin wrote: "Our GB has a similar teak jackstaff to yours."

Marin, More than anything that tells us how much "Taiwanese Trawler" designers "borrowed" from GB designs and features, although I`m not sure the Kong & Halvorsen partnership, which originally built the IG, actually built in Taiwan, I think it was Hong Kong, and/or mainland China.
We are trying a variety of pennants or flags on our newly discovered bow jackstaff. At around 2ft 6in, it takes both small Club type pennants, and much larger items. BruceK

BruceK
Thanks for your PM re the Oz flag you fly. Gemma doesn't have a single jackstaff forward. In fact when I purchased Gemm she had no staffs at all for flags or burgees. As Gemma's side railings do not join at the bow I had to buy a couple of small staffs for each side. I now fly State of Victoria flags from those and a big Oz flag from the stern.

The ramp you see in the background is for our German Shepherd to be able to get to shore when we beach and tie up to trees on shore. Diesel is our 4th Shepherd and has been a boat dog since 6 weeks old so is now well versed in disembarking to go play on the beach.

Attachments

• P1040219.jpg
    P1040219.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 190
  • Victoria Flag.jpg
    Victoria Flag.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 170
Marin wrote: "Our GB has a similar teak jackstaff to yours."

Marin, More than anything that tells us how much "Taiwanese Trawler" designers "borrowed" from GB designs and features,

The "Kong" in Kong & Halvorsen was one of the first naval architects hired by American Marine in Kowloon and as such he was very much involved in the creation of American Marine's Grand Banks line of boats. He later left American Marine and partnered with Halvorsen. Kong's son is active in the Grand Banks owners forum, which is why I know this stuff :) He has posted photos of him and his father on GBs at AM's Kowloon Yard.

It is my understanding that the Island Gypsy line of boats was produced either in the PRC or near Hong Kong like GBs were until GB production was moved to AM's new and larger yard in Singapore. Either way, the Island Gypsy was not a "Taiwan Trawler."

NC state flag forward, yacht ensign aft, yacht club ensign, commodore's pennant, and MTOA flag on the mast... hope y'all can see it on the avatar. Not all my idea.. the Admiral likes the flags flyin'

We have both poles with our IG32. Jackstaff looks like yours. Aft pole is larger version.

JohnP

Attachments

• DSC03426.JPG
    DSC03426.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 201
Jackstaff on ours is SS. Aft one is wood, but w/o the "mushroom cap".

Attachments

• dscn0172.jpg
    dscn0172.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,136
  • stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,248
IG Flagpole and Jackstaff

"dwhatty:Jackstaff on ours is SS. Aft one is wood, but w/o the "mushroom cap"."
It seems that between building "Adagio" and "Emily Anne" the jackstaff became s/steel, and the (aft) flagpole was repositioned to the flybridge.We climb over Doriana`s transom, not having the door on "Emily Anne".
It is a tribute to POs safe keeping of original equipment flagpoles and jackstaffs, portable items so easily lost when removed repeatedly from the place of display.
Our aft flagpole has, like Adagio`s (from memory) a simple knob, not the "mushroom cap" on the jackstaff. BruceK

Back
Top Bottom