Island Gypsy Europa 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keith,

Hardly anything more fun than a new boat!

Definitely going to be fun, if it passes survey. But as you know Eric, it takes a bit of work to get them into the shape we like.

Keith

Keith, we usually cruise at 1500rpm. We set the GPS metric, speed is about 13.5 kph= 7.2 knots. Our cruise speed is a little lower than some others who seem to run around 1650rpm.
I don`t think the IG is just a "knock-off of a GB. Harvey Halvorsen is credited as designer, and the Halvorsen organization designed and built many boats for a multitude of uses. I do think they regarded GB as a competitor and a design and build standard they had to reach. And if you look around, the way trawlers are designed and built is fairly universal. Both my pre purchase survey, and that of the deceased PO of 1 year whose Estate I bought from, praised the construction, fit out, and mechanicals.
My IG is quite "lively" in a seaway. No sails to work in balance with a keel. I don`t have GB36 experience to compare. What I do know is the IG sits at anchor or moored without hunting around like many semi planing cruisers, like Riviera, and their NZ lookalike Markline. It has a fair "grip" of the water.
It`s good to proceed step by step, I hope the survey goes well. Whatever it says, expect the odd surprise discovery with time if you purchase.
Assuming it has mechanical steering, check for the emergency steering tiller. A work of art in teak and steel, it would cost heaps to make these days. Ours I renovated,but never used, should be in the aft lazarrette. Check the piano hinge attaching the heavy lazarrette hatches, ours was screwed to the teak planking, but we have foam not teak in the substrate deck. Check also the longitudinal lift out cross drain, I just remade the two ends of mine which had rotted. The wooden (!) drain around the lazarrette is piped out each side of the hull.

I don`t think the IG is just a "knock-off of a GB. Harvey Halvorsen is credited as designer, and the Halvorsen organization designed and built many boats for a multitude of uses. I do think they regarded GB as a competitor and a design and build standard they had to reach.
I agree as I've spent considerable time researching IG boats and the Halvorsen family's history.The Halvorsen boat building history goes back about 150 years. Long before American Marine was even thought of.

As far as how they stack up to a comparable GB, here's a comparison of the GB 32 vs the IG 32. The report was done by Power Boat Reports in 1995. I have the whole report on a PDF but can't figure out how to post it here.

Attachments

• Specs.png
    Specs.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 729
  • Value Guide.png
    Value Guide.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Sorry!

OK, I tried but can't make it work.

Attachments

• IG & GB Comparison copy 2.jpg
    IG & GB Comparison copy 2.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Last edited:
OK, I tried but can't make it work.

I'm trying again!

& bombed again!

Janet says that PDFs up to 2 mb can be uploaded. Mine is 2.4 mb and that's probably why it won't work.

Last edited:
I'm trying again!

& bombed again!

Janet says that PDFs up to 2 mb can be uploaded. Mine is 2.4 mb and that's probably why it won't work.
This is potentially interesting, but so far frustrating.
But query whether by the article date, Kong and Halvorsen were still the builders of IG? I don`t know. To my recall, the most recent build year of a Kong & Halvorsen built IG36 offered for sale in Australia is 1991.I`m fairly sure for 32s it is even earlier.

But query whether by the article date, Kong and Halvorsen were still the builders of IG?

I re-read the PDF again and found no answer to your question.

The reason I want to post the PDF is to point out some of the construction differences between the two boats. I assume these same construction methods were used in the entire line of IGs but I can't confirm that. The article, by no means denigrates the GB 32, It simply points out the differences between the 2 boats.

This is potentially interesting, but so far frustrating.

My last try. (I promise.)

Voila!~ Compliments of dwhatty in Deer Isle, Maine

Attachments

• GB32 v IG32.pdf
    502.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Walt I read the article and was surprised how similar they are. Almost nothing at all was said about hull design. They gave the minimum deadrise and it almost certainly was at the stern. From my memory the GB has considerably more deadrise fwd and amidships but it's just memory and could just as well be wrong. Interesting the IG is 6" wider. I'da guessed the GB would be wider as when I see them I'm always amazed how wide they are so the IG must be really wide. I'm sorta used to narrower boats though. Frankly I wish Willy was 12' wide. Would have the same speeds w only 3 to 4 hp more I think. Wouldn't be quite so rolley and I'd have room for the diesel heating stove I want.
Thanks for posting the article.

Ig 36

Well, here is our update. After a very careful examination and thorough look through we decided to not buy this boat. My wife liked everything about it except the salon layout, she wold prefer a tri cabin for more separation of space. That combined with the work I would want to do to make it "our boat" just added up to more than we wanted to get into. So.......we are still looking.

Tanks to everyone for your input, it was very valuable to us as we look for the next step.

Keith

Frankly I wish Willy was 12' wide. Would have the same speeds w only 3 to 4 hp more I think. Wouldn't be quite so rolley and I'd have room for the diesel heating stove I want. .
I had a 30' boat whos beam was 10'3" and was very tender in a beam sea or taking on a wake broadside. My present boat is only 2 feet longer but the beam is 1' 9" wider. At 32" and a 12' beam, I can't believe the improvement in stability. :smitten:

After a very careful examination and thorough look through we decided to not buy this boat. My wife liked everything about it except the salon layout, she wold prefer a tri cabin for more separation of space. That combined with the work I would want to do to make it "our boat" just added up to more than we wanted to get into. So.......we are still looking.

Keith
Sorry it did not work out. I`ve seen AndyG`s tri-cabin, it has good sleeping accommodation, trade off is less saloon and aft cockpit. A 3rd version has a second sleeping cabin (2 bunks) on one side just aft of the V berth, only 1 head. The GB 36 is similar but the 2nd cabin is a double, in pics it looks good.
Happy hunting, so many boats in this class. I`d like a GB 42, but what I`d find with time and want to upgrade = stay what I have, with what I`ve done.

I'd like a GB 42.......

Both my wife & I like that boat and if we ever decide to part with our 32 GC, that's the one we would like to have. In a Euro model, of course. :thumb:

Sorry it did not work out. I`ve seen AndyG`s tri-cabin, it has good sleeping accommodation, trade off is less saloon and aft cockpit. A 3rd version has a second sleeping cabin (2 bunks) on one side just aft of the V berth, only 1 head. The GB 36 is similar but the 2nd cabin is a double, in pics it looks good.
Happy hunting, so many boats in this class. I`d like a GB 42, but what I`d find with time and want to upgrade = stay what I have, with what I`ve done.

Been away for a while and just read the posts. Bruce we are a quad cabin, that is we have the bunk cabin in addition to the forward and aft berths, this configuration also has the forward and aft heads, not that you have noticed when you came aboard as we were in such a mess. Could hardly find the beer if I remember rightly.

Well, here is our update. After a very careful examination and thorough look through we decided to not buy this boat. My wife liked everything about it except the salon layout, she wold prefer a tri cabin for more separation of space. That combined with the work I would want to do to make it "our boat" just added up to more than we wanted to get into. So.......we are still looking.

Tanks to everyone for your input, it was very valuable to us as we look for the next step.

Keith

You might FIND the boat, but the wife BUYS the boat. Mine did. We have a 3 cabin layout and she loves it.

Being a diesel newbie since 2010, buying our first trawler, I can only say that our American Diesel (Ford Lehman modded engine) has been a trooper and easy enough to work on. Nothing has been very mysterious about it once I got to know it. If you find a boat again, the Lehman engine is a solid motor.

Best of luck

Been away for a while and just read the posts. Bruce we are a quad cabin, that is we have the bunk cabin in addition to the forward and aft berths, this configuration also has the forward and aft heads, not that you have noticed when you came aboard as we were in such a mess. Could hardly find the beer if I remember rightly.
Glad you are back Andy. I was thinking of the number of sleeping cabins, of course with the saloon yours is 4, or a quad cabin.
Some local TFers visited Tambourine Bay where I moor, Rebel recently anchored overnight, Cresta 32 passes going to an upstream mooring, and says hello. It`s a small world.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom