Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #41
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
This is potentially interesting, but so far frustrating.
My last try. (I promise.)

Voila!~ Compliments of dwhatty in Deer Isle, Maine
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GB32 v IG32.pdf (502.1 KB, 131 views)

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Walt I read the article and was surprised how similar they are. Almost nothing at all was said about hull design. They gave the minimum deadrise and it almost certainly was at the stern. From my memory the GB has considerably more deadrise fwd and amidships but it's just memory and could just as well be wrong. Interesting the IG is 6" wider. I'da guessed the GB would be wider as when I see them I'm always amazed how wide they are so the IG must be really wide. I'm sorta used to narrower boats though. Frankly I wish Willy was 12' wide. Would have the same speeds w only 3 to 4 hp more I think. Wouldn't be quite so rolley and I'd have room for the diesel heating stove I want.
Thanks for posting the article.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #43
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Ig 36

Well, here is our update. After a very careful examination and thorough look through we decided to not buy this boat. My wife liked everything about it except the salon layout, she wold prefer a tri cabin for more separation of space. That combined with the work I would want to do to make it "our boat" just added up to more than we wanted to get into. So.......we are still looking.

Tanks to everyone for your input, it was very valuable to us as we look for the next step.

Keith
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Frankly I wish Willy was 12' wide. Would have the same speeds w only 3 to 4 hp more I think. Wouldn't be quite so rolley and I'd have room for the diesel heating stove I want. .
I had a 30' boat whos beam was 10'3" and was very tender in a beam sea or taking on a wake broadside. My present boat is only 2 feet longer but the beam is 1' 9" wider. At 32" and a 12' beam, I can't believe the improvement in stability.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolive View Post
After a very careful examination and thorough look through we decided to not buy this boat. My wife liked everything about it except the salon layout, she wold prefer a tri cabin for more separation of space. That combined with the work I would want to do to make it "our boat" just added up to more than we wanted to get into. So.......we are still looking.

Keith
Sorry it did not work out. I`ve seen AndyG`s tri-cabin, it has good sleeping accommodation, trade off is less saloon and aft cockpit. A 3rd version has a second sleeping cabin (2 bunks) on one side just aft of the V berth, only 1 head. The GB 36 is similar but the 2nd cabin is a double, in pics it looks good.
Happy hunting, so many boats in this class. I`d like a GB 42, but what I`d find with time and want to upgrade = stay what I have, with what I`ve done.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
I'd like a GB 42.......
Both my wife & I like that boat and if we ever decide to part with our 32 GC, that's the one we would like to have. In a Euro model, of course.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #47
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Sorry it did not work out. I`ve seen AndyG`s tri-cabin, it has good sleeping accommodation, trade off is less saloon and aft cockpit. A 3rd version has a second sleeping cabin (2 bunks) on one side just aft of the V berth, only 1 head. The GB 36 is similar but the 2nd cabin is a double, in pics it looks good.
Happy hunting, so many boats in this class. I`d like a GB 42, but what I`d find with time and want to upgrade = stay what I have, with what I`ve done.
Been away for a while and just read the posts. Bruce we are a quad cabin, that is we have the bunk cabin in addition to the forward and aft berths, this configuration also has the forward and aft heads, not that you have noticed when you came aboard as we were in such a mess. Could hardly find the beer if I remember rightly.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #48
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolive View Post
Well, here is our update. After a very careful examination and thorough look through we decided to not buy this boat. My wife liked everything about it except the salon layout, she wold prefer a tri cabin for more separation of space. That combined with the work I would want to do to make it "our boat" just added up to more than we wanted to get into. So.......we are still looking.

Tanks to everyone for your input, it was very valuable to us as we look for the next step.

Keith
You might FIND the boat, but the wife BUYS the boat. Mine did. We have a 3 cabin layout and she loves it.

Being a diesel newbie since 2010, buying our first trawler, I can only say that our American Diesel (Ford Lehman modded engine) has been a trooper and easy enough to work on. Nothing has been very mysterious about it once I got to know it. If you find a boat again, the Lehman engine is a solid motor.

Best of luck

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Been away for a while and just read the posts. Bruce we are a quad cabin, that is we have the bunk cabin in addition to the forward and aft berths, this configuration also has the forward and aft heads, not that you have noticed when you came aboard as we were in such a mess. Could hardly find the beer if I remember rightly.
Glad you are back Andy. I was thinking of the number of sleeping cabins, of course with the saloon yours is 4, or a quad cabin.
Some local TFers visited Tambourine Bay where I moor, Rebel recently anchored overnight, Cresta 32 passes going to an upstream mooring, and says hello. It`s a small world.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote