Island Gypsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have just purchased a fabulous 1983 44" Island Gypsy in good condition. We are interested in changing out the 8 existing plastic Master stateroom port windows and would like to upgrade them to bronze. We are having a difficult time finding ones large enough. These are approximately 10" x 20" . Any suggestions where to find them?
Thanks
Robinini
Congratulations Robinini, and welcome aboard.
I hope someone local can help with the port lights. If all else fails you could ask Mark Halvorsen (<mark@halvorsenboatsales.com.au>),he told me his first visit to the yard in China was 1988, so he may be unable to help.
What cabin version is your IG? The 44s I have seen here are not aft cabin, and look very spacious. What engines do you have?

Thanks

We are very excited about our Island Gypsy 44 Flush aft deck motor cruiser ( according to the original brochure ) I refer to her as a sundeck. She has 3 staterooms and 2 heads w showers. The aft cabin Master is very roomy. It has simple lines. We looked at and seriously considered several models before deciding on this one. We considered the Marine Trader as we really like their attractive cabinetry design. The Defever was a strong contender with the similar floor plan and walk-in engine room, but we decided that the round hull design made her a bit too rolly. And dollar for dollar we felt like we have gotten a very solidly built, stable, salty looking boat. The deep bulwarks make her much more trawler- like and nautical looking than several "motor yachts" we looked at. The 15' 4" beam makes the salon plenty spacious enough to accommodate the galley up design, which in turn allows for the 3rd stateroom bunk room below. We may, in the future decide to rework that one into an office/utility area
She has twin Lehman 120's. Our maiden voyage will be 600+ miles to take her from S Florida to our home in SC. guess we'll get to know her well during the process.

I think GB set a benchmark;

I think the main benchmark American Marine set with their Grand Banks design was consistency of quality. Over the years there have been designs that are more pleasing and makes and models of boats that are better built.

But what AM brought to the production boat table with their GB line in 1966, first in wood and then in fiberglass, was consistency. Every GB was built by the same people (figuratively speaking) in the same yard with the same materials to the same quality standard (for the most part--- they had periodic bouts of hull layup problems and kept calling Howard Abbey back to set the process right again).

Not that this consistent quality thing is a GB exclusive. But particularly during the heyday of the "farm the work out" Taiwan Trawler makes and models, GB's approach to production boat building, first in Kowloon and then in Singapore, stood out.

Last edited:
Does anyone have or could provide a picture (s) of the sliding door lock. The previous owner took mine out and wood plugged the hole. I like to replace the lock as it should have been.

Does anyone have or could provide a picture (s) of the sliding door lock. .
Sunvale, Your request is not forgotten. I took the pics,just need the resident computer hotshot to put them on my computer to post. It is an unusual lock with a hooked (pants tearer when door slid open) end which goes into the (?)door surround receiver part.

Sorry. Can't help. Ours has a hinged door.

Does anyone have or could provide a picture (s) of the sliding door lock.
Pics/description posted on the other thread you started. Feel free to seek more pics/info/measurements.

IG Owners Plate

I don't remember who asked me, but they wanted me to post the manufacturers plate of my IG. So here is is.

Not sure what happened, but I up loaded the picture but can't find it now??

I wonder what went wrong. Anyone have an idea why the thing did not post?

Hello, Bruce. My husband and I will be looking at a bank-owned 1990 IG 36 Europa single cabin. From the limited photographs it would appear that there is/was a leak over the galley stove that I am guessing originated from the frame of a forward facing window. Is this a common issue? Also, this vessel has teak decks over an as yet undetermined cored or solid deck. It also has twin Volvo Penta engines but we don't yet know the hp. I have read some unfavorable comments about poor handling at speeds over 10 kts and the poor design of the rudders. We are coming off 25 years of sailboat ownership in the 38 ft range and don't really know what to look for in a semi-displacement trawler hull. Thanks in advance for any input you might offer. P.S.: do you know where I can view a layout of the boat?

Hi atursi,welcome aboard.
I`ve not had a leak over the stove. I had water drip off the cabin "ceiling" gas cock, water from the FB was running along it, but my galley is aft. I had water entry fwd via the joint between FB and deck over the windscreen. Is there an air extractor over the stove where water could enter?
If the stove is original it will probably need replacing, the old RV ones fitted wear and leak at the control valves.
The deck substrate is almost certainly teak blocks,which get wet and rot. Mine is the only known one (so far) with foam decks. Sale by a Bank suggests an owner lacking funds with maintenance first casualty, so take care. Decks, and cabin leaks, are a worry, I`ve dealt with both, neither is cheap or easy to fix.
Volvos on IGs are usually 235hp, bigger than necessary, sometimes trim tabs get fitted, would certainly exceed 10kts whereas my Lehmans would be working hard. I`ve seen 14kts with big overtaking swells, steering/handling was ok. Been told overpowered 36s can "dig in" turning at speed. Hull speed is about 8 knots, most boats operate there, it uses much fuel to go a little faster. Volvo parts can be harder to source, and cost, according to the experiences of others on TF.
The general view here is they are a coastal cruiser, I`ve been in seas that had me nervous, but the boat did ok. Designed for comfort as well as sea performance, but quite capable, with an experienced designer. Plenty of ex sailboaters transition successfully to trawlers.
I will try to post layout drawings from the Owners Manual later, I need help for that.
It would help seeing pics of the boat.

14 knots in a following sea! How were your 'undies' Bruce? :blush:
Kept them clean, but took precautionary seasick tabs. March this year, Sydney to Broken Bay, a decent southerly swell plus windwaves on top. I was pleased how well the boat did, swells just went under us accelerating the boat so I began checking the GPS speed. I was never concerned by the bow once outside Sydney Heads, but climbing the swells across the Heads going out was interesting, fortunately on a 10-12 secs period. Quick trip, glad to reach Barrenjoey and head for the Basin.
I always make a final on the spot assessment before going out. One year we took a look, opted for a night in Bantry Bay instead, and went up the next day. "There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old bold sailors".

Yep, coming out of the heads can be a bit nasty, especially if you have a south easter swell bouncing off North Head and coming back at you to mix things up.

I agree, the hull seems to handle running situations pretty well, and there is no problem taking a sea head on. I do look with envy though at boats that have sufficient power to sit on the back of a wave in a following sea, the poor old Lehman's are not up to that.

On balance though I would not swap them for the more powerful Cummings.

I looked over the bank owned 1990 IG36 this Spring. Not a bad boat, but it needs a lot of TLC. I was not a fan of the engines, too much power for our use. The Admiral thought the galley was a bit cramped. The big salon and centerline master berth were the best features.

We passed on it, if it had lehman 135s it would have been more attractive to me.

I do look with envy though at boats that have sufficient power to sit on the back of a wave in a following sea,:thumb: the poor old Lehman's are not up to that.

On balance though I would not swap them for the more powerful Cummings.:cry:
I disagree!

Bruce, because I have a bit more weight aft than usual because of tank positioning, my Lotus will surf and still steer extremely well, and I have seen 11.3 kn on the GPs in a good following sea, when 7.5 kn is all she will normally do flat out in calm waters with no current. That was fun...

Peter, we have an extra water tank aft, wonder if that helps in following seas?
A PO modified the aft trailing edge of the hull with a full width strip extending in about a foot, and angled down. It`s like a fixed trim tab, to keep the bow down I think. IG36s with 2 235hp Volvos usually have trim tabs, can`t imagine Doriana up on the plane with Lehmans (or at all) but Volvos could, at scary fuel cost. IMO, trawlers were made to plod along, getting there is half the fun.

Bruce, any chance of a photo of this fixed trim tab set up the PO designed?

Sarawana planed once on a following sea, a very unusual feeling, I much prefer her a little lower in the water.

Actually, I think the IG 36' design should have been closer to a full displacement configuration, they don't really plane, so why not have some of the benefits of a displacement hull.

Bruce, any chance of a photo of this fixed trim tab set up the PO designed?
Andy, I may have a photo from the pre purchase survey, those photos are missing in a computer changeover, we`ll do some hunting. Hard to describe, a pic will certainly help;antifoul is coming up (near 2 years out of Jotun Seaguardian), can get pics then.

Do you do your own antifouling or farm it out?

Do you do your own antifouling or farm it out?
Probably get it done by Ron Bailey at Balmain who redid the decks. Their work is good, they are fair to deal with. Getting a bit old for that kind of DIY.
I`m hoping the pic is on a storage hard drive.

I looked at the bank owned 36 europa on saturday and if I was sure I was going to be on the east coast for a while it wouldnt be for sale any longer. Right up my alley wiring problems, lots of cleaning and cosmetics. Was exactly the project I have been looking for.

The IG 32 is a great boat I have a 1989 cruised from Maryland to the Hudson Albany no problems the 6 cylinder cummins 210 is the perfect engine .

While walking the floats at Anacortes 2 or 3 days ago I finally saw a 32' Halvorsen Gourmet Cruiser. Been looking at Walt's for years and his close up pics did show what a nicely finished boat it is. The teak trim is especially well done and radiates much class.

They must be a quality hull as I've never heard anything bad about them except the following sea thing. And w a big wide flat stern and small rudders one should expect that flaw. Head seas probably won't be quite as smooth as say a GB w a bit more deadrise but would be much smoother than some of the light trawlers like the Camano or the Ranger that probably dosn't range very far.

The Halvorsen and IG certainly aren't the RR of boats but they are certainly a very classy boat that will please most everyone. There's nothing that sticks out to grab you but that's probably one of their best features. This is a good classy boat w lots of space and stability that Lou Codega (the designer of the Great Harbor) could have come up with but instead went rather radical w the GH line. Not that radical is all bad as I have (relative to other trawlers) a rather radical boat and am quite happy w it.

There are not many of the Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser ( wonder about the "Gourmet" bit, but what`s in a name) here. Occasionally seen on the market, last time north of 200K, boats cost more here. They seem a good "couple`s" boat, and from memory head and shower are separate. The design, like the IG, reproduces some old "Halvo" aspects, fit outs looked good last time I saw pics.The Integrity 340 is on the same lines, as are the "Maine Lobster Boats" we are seeing now. Maybe people are realizing they can live with less boat.It is sad not having Halvorsen or IG any more here as a current brand.

"There are not many of the Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser ( wonder about the "Gourmet" bit, but what`s in a name) here. Occasionally seen on the market, last time north of 200K, boats cost more here. "

There's one moorerd at our club, quite similar to Walt's, though not in as good condition, still, a good looking boat.

They are quite different to the 'traditional trawler style' IG's, without the flybridge they have a lower sleeker look in profile, more reminiscent of the original Halvorsen's

I wonder do they share a common hull ,maybe Walt knows the answer to that.

Last edited:
Saw an old GB on YW that had the FB removed or was a special order. It looked really good to me. As most everyone here knows I don't like fly bridges much but the GB FB w the two vertical creases is (I think) very hansom as fly bridges go. The FB on the Halversen I saw was a big arc w nothing to break it up. Made it look bigger. I like Walt's boat w/o the darned thing. But judging from all the FB comments I've read down through the years they must be fun as most everyone likes the FB.

Andy G's comment that the IG and Halvorsen may not have the same hull is interesting. I think they do but I've never seen an IG in anything but white while all the Halvorsen's I've seen are colored ... but only seen two .. I think.

Bruce I think the Gourmet tag has only to do w trim but there may be a long line of features unique to the "Gourmet" boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom